New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New guy in GA having issues with false gauge readings

Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New guy in GA having issues with false gauge readings

First off I am new to this. I have owned my 2002 Jaguar X-type for almost 2 years. It has been a great vehicle until recently. I am another victim of the plastic overflow tank leaking. I had a trusted mechanic shop put on a new one about 7 months ago. About a month later my temp gauge read hot. I turned the car off immediately and popped the bonnet open. To my surprise there was no steam, smoke, fluid, or any of the usual signs the car had actually overheated. I placed my hand on the motor but it wasn't hot at all. I have done some research on this site but none have matched my exact same problems. I'll list each one and what has happened since. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Gauge reads hot - Turn the car off for 5 seconds turn it back on and the gauge reads either half way or sometimes all the way cold. If I restart the car from a stop it will continue to "overheat". If I am driving on the interstate and turn it back on while the car is rolling it will not "overheat" for the remainder of the time I drive it until it has sat in the driveway for a few hours. Cruise not available light always comes on about 30 seconds before it starts this madness. I have driven the car 4 hours one way after the gauge read hot and I did the rolling start, and not a single issue. It only reads hot when I first start the car in the morning and drive it on the city roads. Any thoughts on this one? I have been told it is the computer, thermostat, fan controller, etc. Still no explanation as to why the rolling start will allow it to perform like a regular vehicle and have no issues.

The antifreeze level isn't low. Also the car goes into full limp mode once the cruise not available light comes on. Transmission acts like it is stuttering. Gear changing is abnormal. Again once it has been cut off and turned back on, no issues.

Last edited by GGG; 01-23-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: emphasise Model and Year + merge 2 posts
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Welcome to the forum Fuzz,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I've copied your question to X-Type forum for advice from members with the same model. Here's the direct link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adings-135353/

Follow this link X-Type - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the main X-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link USA Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 4,173 Likes on 3,636 Posts

welcome to the forum - you are in the right place to sort your issues.

enjoy

Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Fuzz,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To anyone still following this thread, My 2004 4.2 S-type temp gauge will warm up to middle norm for normal and extended drives, then out of nowhere will start dwindling down to about quarter of gauge, but then, drop almost pegged out on left side of gauge and immediately go to limp mode. Pull off highway, kill engine, wait 30 seconds, restart and needle goes immediately to middle norm(no more limp mode) for the next 50+ miles or maybe not until next trip or next week. Coolant norm, fan works. Has anyone experienced same or have any ideas??????

Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Originally Posted by frnknmbl
To anyone still following this thread..........
Welcome to the forum frnknmbl,

I recommend you post this issue in S-Type tech forum for advice from members with the same model.

My first thought would be to have the codes read to see exactly what is causing the limp mode.

Graham

Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.