Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Diagnostic lead and software

Hi all,
got myself a jaguar s-type R
and its all running fine at the moment
I going to purchase diagnostic lead and software
whats the recomended lead and software to buy, so i can do all the dealer stuff myself
thanks in advance
cheers
joe

Old 04-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Mongoose aka Mangoose. Can damage the car if used carelessly. Not easy to understand, not much documentation as you're expected to have been trained.

The following users liked this post:
Joedotcom (04-10-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:41 PM

hi
will the mangoose come with software
or what software am i looking at
there usually video's on youtube, so hopefully you can see how its done first
cheers

Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

There are places you can download the software, IDS / SDD and instructional material but, unles you know exactly what you are doing.... There are stories on the forum of people doing major damage 'playing' with this software.

Joedotcom (04-10-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Those who can't or won't use forum/site Search, google, ebay, Amazon etc really should not buy or use it.

Joedotcom (04-10-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Mongoose aka Mangoose. Can damage the car if used carelessly. Not easy to understand, not much documentation as you're expected to have been trained.
Urrrhhhhmmm.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x350-x358-xj6-xj8-xjr-28/well-great-broke-xjr-140197/

I will not deny that some of this may have been brought on by my own ignorance.. But, it is food for thought.

From now on I will only use SDD to pull DTCS and that is it.

Joedotcom (04-10-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by JOEDOTCOM
Hi all,
got myself a jaguar s-type R
and its all running fine at the moment
I going to purchase diagnostic lead and software
whats the recomended lead and software to buy, so i can do all the dealer stuff myself
thanks in advance
cheers
joe
Welcome to the forum Joe.

It's customary to make an introduction before jumping into the tech forums, stop by our new members area ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

If your car is running fine, then i'd say leave it alone.

Cheap clone Mongoose interfaces, and hacked software, are a recipe for disaster, lost count of how many cars have been "bricked" because of it.

As JagV8 puts it, perhaps not so eloquantly, if you have to ask, then perhaps you shouldn't go down that road.

There are lots of threads here on the site that detail the hardware & software, and also show what happens when things go wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
EssOess (04-07-2015), Joedotcom (04-10-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Those who can't or won't use forum/site Search, google, ebay, Amazon etc really should not buy or use it.
yes, but I thought the idea of a forum, is to benefit from the vast knowledge of all the jaguar guru's on here, we all have to start somewhere.
but thanks for the info.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Welcome to the forum Joe.

It's customary to make an introduction before jumping into the tech forums, stop by our new members area ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

If your car is running fine, then i'd say leave it alone.

Cheap clone Mongoose interfaces, and hacked software, are a recipe for disaster, lost count of how many cars have been "bricked" because of it.

As JagV8 puts it, perhaps not so eloquantly, if you have to ask, then perhaps you shouldn't go down that road.

There are lots of threads here on the site that detail the hardware & software, and also show what happens when things go wrong.
Hi and thanks
will do the new members area thanks
cars running fine
but as with all modern car you need diagnostic software for just to read fault codes and for basic things like on some cars just to reset the parking brake, when pads and like are changed.
As i do all the maintenance myself, i was trying to prepare myself for any future problems. because sometimes if you dont ask, then you wont find out.
i was just trying to find what the best diagnostc tool was for the car.
because some are easier to use than others.
but thanks
cheers
joe

Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

You do not need a Mongoose to do any of the normal things. Get an elm327 and be safe. Much easier to use, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Joedotcom (04-10-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-09-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Joedotcom
yes, but I thought the idea of a forum, is to benefit from the vast knowledge of all the jaguar guru's on here, we all have to start somewhere.

Hi Joedotcom,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

What JagV8 is trying to communicate, in his inimitable way, is that yes, one aspect of a forum is the ability to post inquiries and receive helpful replies from knowledgeable members, but another equally important aspect is the collection of all of those many, many replies over time, which comes to constitute a huge searchable knowledge base.

If new members will avail themselves of the search function, the knowledgeable members won't have to repeat the same replies over, and over, and over again. Just as God helps those who help themselves, members of most forums tend to be more willing to help those who have availed themselves of all the information already in the forum archives before asking others to take the time to retype an answer they may have typed dozens of times before.

You get the point.

To answer your question, see the following threads, which are two of many that deal with the Jaguar Land Rover System Driven Diagnostics system (JLR SDD):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...an-tool-66558/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...h-32683/page2/

Read carefully to understand how challenging it can be to get the clone cables and software to work properly and how easy it is to truly mess up your car if you use the system without understanding what you're doing. I'm not trying to talk you out of acquiring and learning to use SDD - it's the best way to be able to read and clear not only the generic OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), but also the proprietary Jaguar DTCs. It also gives you the power to set various system defaults and perform other dealer-only services. Just take the time to educate yourself before you do something you'll regret. There's plenty of information already available in the forums.

The best SDD instruction manual I'm aware of can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6...l+02_02_12.pdf

We'll look forward to reading your new member introduction here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/.

Enjoy the forum!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-07-2015 at 08:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (04-07-2015), Joedotcom (04-10-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
...yes, one aspect of a forum is the ability to post inquiries and receive helpful replies from knowledgeable members, but another equally important aspect is the collection of all of those many, many replies over time, which comes to constitute a huge searchable knowledge base.

If new members will avail themselves of the search function, the knowledgeable members won't have to repeat the same replies over, and over, and over again. Just as God helps those who help themselves, members of most forums tend to be more willing to help those who have availed themselves of all the information already in the forum archives before asking others to take the time to retype an answer they may have typed dozens of times before.
Beautifully said, Don.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jumpin' Jag Flash:
Don B (04-10-2015), Joedotcom (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joe

There are two aspects to your question:

1) Physical connection
2) Software

OBD II is a interface/communication standard and thus almost any OBD II physical device will allow you to connect. You could go USB or Bluetooth / wireless if you want to use a mobile phone etc. Personally I am not interested viewing the live dashboard (revs/speed/temp etc) but only to view MIL - P Codes and thus use USB/laptop device.

Software is more important though, I have EasyOBD and AutoEnginuity and they work fine on most cars but I have had no luck reading anything from my Jag even though it wont start. I am thus in the process of obtaining IDS SDD software and will let you know. Would suggest as others have said that Mongoose is the way to go as it comes with IDS SDD s/w. It is relatively easy to obtain other OBDII software and use the Mongoose USB device on other vehicles if needed, some s/w is freeware.

Rgds
Paul

Joedotcom (04-10-2015)