Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 2000 S-type with blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by WildRunner
My kid just blew the engine in my 2002 Jaguar S-Type 4.0. Otherwise the car looks great. I am thinking about selling it as is, or donating is to Kars 4 Kids. I was wondering what is a good asking price to sell or what can I expect to get for a tax write-off if I donate it!
I see S-types in good to excellent shape MY, 2000 to 2003, with bad engines selling between $1500 and $3500. (Depends on mileage, condition and where you are selling the car)

Or you can calculated backwards. Look up NADA, Edmunds, and Kelly Bliue Book, then take off around $4000. (Cost to have someone either rebuild the engine or put in another used engine.) A shop, or reseller will try to purchase the car from you for $500 to $1K less so they can make a profit.

( I paid $2K in 2010 for my project S-type, and it is in excellent condition.)

Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tijoe,
Would you please contact off forum concerning your research in to 8.8 axles?
Thanks, Kevin
KWall73108@aol.com

Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Forum would be better so others get help. Come back and read if more is posted.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 AM

any updates?

Old 01-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I opened the hood a month ago. The car is positioned in my shop/garage where I can start work on it. Unfortunately, I have 3 other car projects going on right now and a house remodel to complete before I can really start work on it again. I piddle around and do little tasks, but have not restarted work on the electrical rewire. Being mechanically oriented, I dislike working on electrical. I'd rather rebuild an engine than pinout and modify electrical harness.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Is it possible to put the 4.0 back in the car and increase the power? That would save a ton of modification. I saw this at a car show.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

See. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...700-hp-154721/

I would never go back to a 4.0 engine. One needs to start with a later model 4.2 engine, and then build up an engine similar to Avos's if you want more HP out of a Jaguar engine.

Pre CAN cars are much easier to swap engines.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

That looks like the Road Kill Jaguar!

Old 01-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
That looks like the Road Kill Jaguar
It was the loudest Jag I ever heard run. It was butt ugly on the inside.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Good luck with this!

Old 10-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
I would LOVE to see you pull off an LSX swap here...

I have all the wiring diragrams and a phd in electrical engineering to help you integrate whatever you like...

The LSX and GM Trans would run on their own pcm / tcm. you'd have to keep certain aspects of the Jags system for HVAC, and adapt them. But i think it could be a badass project.

George
I have 5.3l with a 4l60e that I'm throwing in a 2000 jaguar stype I could use the diagram for the gauge cluster and ac

Old 10-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting timing with your post. After Anderw/Jaguar Specialties posted that he has a kit for XK8s with a 2009 G8 engine, I pulled out all my electrical harnesses, opened up my Excel files and manuals in order to get back up to speed on my old conversion project.

There are several control system approaches you can take to support the engine swap.
These choices determine the amount of integration and functionality the car's existing control systems will have.
1. Stand alone E-38 GM engine systems - There are many aftermarket programmed E38 ECMs and harnesses on the market for LSx Series engines.
2. Stand alone aftermarket ECM - Very pricy buy you can purchase ones with integrated CAN systems that could possibly integrate to the Jaguar/Ford Early CAN system.
2. Run a Stock/tuned E38 ECM with stock engine harness and rewire the car to the level of integration you want with the existing car's electrical.

Before you chose which rabbit hole to dive into, research what engine control system approach you want to use.

1. The problems with a stand alone system: Biggest issue for me using a stand alone ECM controller is that I want the car to have ABS/Traction control/ DSC (Dynamic Stability control). Stand alone E38 ECM systems do not have the inputs and outputs to control an ABS module, more specifically the Jaguar's Bosch ABS module This means you have to redo the braking system on the car to run with manually boosted brakes. Some state's inspections require you to maintain the stock parking systems. With the stand alone E38 ECM sysem you have to design your own instrument cluster and'/or use and aftermarke instrument display system. You will still need to spoof the rest of the jaguar's BCM system so that you can have the power windows works and all the other body/entertainment systems.
2. A stand alone aftermarket ECM will get you a lot closer. I found one ECM that is CAN based that could integrate to the Jag's DSC CAN system. It was going to cost me $5K+ and on top of that, you would have to learn their programming system, first to set up the engine's sensors, injectors, timing... and then tune it. Then learn what outputs you need to send to the instrument cluster and other BCM interfaces. (Their manual estimated 200+ hours if you have never set up their system and tuned a car before.
3. I chose to try to use a stock ECM with plans to hack/tune the engine, and then rewire enough of the car to get it to be fairly functional. (Specifically the brake system.) I bogged down because I made a choice to run the car like a 2009 Pontiac GXP, but the engine was a 2010 Camaro LS3, so I ran into harness pinout difference in the engine bay, dashboard and body harnesses. I needed bigger blocks of time to make progress than I had available. Everytime I could get up to speed and stated making progress, something else would come up and I would forget where I was.

If you decide you want the conversion to use as a toy or for the track and you don't care about the car having everything work, then the stand alone approach can work. The more you want all the CAN communitation systems integrated with each other, the more complex and time consuming it gets.

Any approach you take, you will end up having to learn a heck of a lot about CAN systems, unless you have really deep pockets and can pay someone to do the work for you. (Most people wont touch a project like this if it is a one-off.)

One other thing to think about: I did my project on a 2000 S-Type before I was aware of the changes made in 2002.5 to the cars front suspension. If I had known then what I know now, I would start with a 2003 or newer S-type.

One other thing to consider, S-types don't have LSD, so if you don't have functional ABS/TCS/DSC, then you will spend all of your time spinning one rear wheel. You better budget a lot of money to replace or upgrade the rear differential. I put in around $5K into the rear sub-frame in my car to beef it up to hande an eventual 800HP.

I don't have much information on the S-type instrument cluster, I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 cluster.

Last edited by Tijoe; 10-20-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add image
Old 12-26-2019, 06:52 PM

I have all the wiring diragrams and a phd in electrical engineering to help you integrate whatever you like...

The LSX and GM Trans would run on their own pcm / tcm. you'd have to keep certain aspects of the Jags system for HVAC, and adapt them. But i think it could be a badass project.

George
I have a 2000 jaguar stype 4.0 hate the motor I grabbed a 5.3l gen 4 with a 4l60e trans how can I get the cluster to work with gm

Old 12-27-2019, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

If you're good with such, yes, but otherwise very unlikely.

The following users liked this post:
Catfan01 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joshua Letourneau
I have a 2000 jaguar stype 4.0 hate the motor I grabbed a 5.3l gen 4 with a 4l60e trans how can I get the cluster to work with gm
Not worth the effort using that engine/Trans combination. L83 Gen 4s make about 355 hp. STR Jaguar already outputs over 400HP, Junk the 2000 S-type and purchase a STR.
From my perspective, you need to put in an engine that out-performs a stock STR otherwise is it a waste of money.

Regarding getting a 2000 S-type instrument cluster to work with GM CAN, first become an expert in GMCAN and then an expert in Ford SAE J1850 PWM. Next, create a GMCAN to Ford CAN converter and figure out all the CAN message traffic you will need to convert and send back and forth through the CAN converter.
Let me know when you finish, I'll be waiting.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tijoe:
Catfan01 (12-28-2019), joycesjag (12-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:30 PM

George
Lsx jaguar swap
I have a 2005 jaguar style 4.2 v8 and I am looking to do a lsx swap but am having trouble deciding wether or not it is worth all the electrical problems. I noticed you said you have the wiring diagram for it. And I was wondering if you could send them to me. And wether or not you think it is worth it.
Thank you.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Download them from the Stickies.

Th wiring is "easy" compared to the computer networks and the messages across them.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dylan Redhage
Lsx jaguar swap
I have a 2005 jaguar style 4.2 v8 and I am looking to do a lsx swap but am having trouble deciding wether or not it is worth all the electrical problems. I noticed you said you have the wiring diagram for it. And I was wondering if you could send them to me. And wether or not you think it is worth it.
Thank you.
My swap was into a 2000 V8 S-type, It has a different electrical control system than a post facelift 2005. My electrical schematics wouldn't do you any good. A 2005 would be a better car mechanically, but the electrical/CAN system would be a whole new beast to tackle.

To get a running swap you have 4 approaches.
1. Use a stand alone LSX engine controller (ECM) that has CAN output, replace or overlay the OEM instrument cluster with a digital aftermarket one. (This includes a whole new fuel delivery system that is compatible with the LSX engine,) (Budget $3.5 to $6K) Then you have to make a decision what to do about the ABS/Traction control system. It is dependent on both the Jaguar ECM and BCM. (Swap to a system that is GM/LSX compatible, or go to a stand alone ABS/TCS system. (Better budget $2K for this) You may still have issues with the rest of the car operating correctly becasue the body control module does not nave the required CAN signals satisified, and then the car's security system locks you out. (Not sure about what will really happen.

2. Plan ahead and purchase a second 100% operational S-type in the same model year as yours car. Purchase a really good CAN sniffer, and take about 6 months getting up to speed and then map/figure out every message, that is sent between the ECM, BCM and all the other control modules. (Basically become a CAN expert). Then build a CAN Gateway converter that will translate all the GM CAN traffic to Ford /Jaguar / Denso CAN protools. (Better plan on at least $5K in hardware and a year duration in time to do this if you have a day job) The reason I say purchase a second car is that when you get to the point in integration where you are installing your CAN gateway converter, you will run into some issue where you will need your 2nd car to use for troubleshooting. (You may need access to a running car with the same ECM as your swap to troubleshoot too, but GM ECMs have been hacked a lot, so you could resolve an LSX engine control integration issue online.

3. Figure out a way to run your LSX engine like a Jaguar 4.2 engine. This may be the simplest approach in the long run, but you will now have transmission compatibility problems, because of either using a 6-speed manual trans, or swap the ZF 6-speed onto the back of the LSX engine. Depending on what year engine you chose, you can have many different automatic transmissions, likely none of them will work with the Jaguar control system. You will also have ECM programming challenges to get the ECM to control a higher HP engine with different torque curves and fuel requirements.

4. Swap out enough of the Jaguar's electrical control system with the GM electrical that came with the car your LSX was pulled from. (This is the route I chose back in 2011.) In my ignorance, I purchased a 2010 Camaro LS3 with manual trans and ECM. This is when GM first added and activated their Global security and encription on their control modules. I found out that I could run the engine as a 2009 Pontiac GXP and not have to deal with the GM security. I was able to purchase most of the GXP harnesses I needed before the G8 GXP became a collector's car. (Good luck finding G8 GXP parts these days.) Turned out the Camaro and GXP harness are about 30% different, so I opened pandora's box and now had to map out a Camaro/G8/Jaguar approach.

For the past 8 years I have/had many distractions keeping me from working on this project. (A move to a new state 5 years ago, then a complete house remodel that I did 95% on my own and continuing house projects that never seem to end.)
The issue I have now, is that If I only try to work on harness for a coupel hours at a time, I can't maintain project continuity and then spend 1/2 the time getting back up to speed from where I left off. If I ever get a 2 week period of time where I can 100% concentrate on the wiring/harnesses, I could make some rear progress. Unless I am 100% focused on the wiring, I forget too fast what wires go where and to what connector before I make any real progress.

Knowing what I know now, If I was going to do this from scratch, I would budget $40K for the hardware part of the project. (If you can't do the work yourself, then budget additional $30K) Then I would purchase a 2005 or newer STR with a blown engine. ($3 to $4k) ( Overall best version car for suspension/handling and features.) Then I would purchase a complete wrecked 6-speed manual Camaro ZL1. (Probably have to pay $25K) Then I would gut the STR of all of its electrical, and drivetrain. Then swap in the Camaro drivetrain. ($3K in parts for the mechanical installation.) Then I would plan on a complete rebuild of the rear end assembly to handle 800HP (Another $7K) Then I would budget about $2K for all of the additional harness and control module problems encountered during the build.

OTOH, Think of the car you could purchase for $40K and drive from day one without spending a year+ building your own. (But then you would have the first running S-type GM LSX hybrid...)

Last edited by Tijoe; 09-29-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Tijoe:
joycesjag (09-30-2020), Panthro (12-01-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Another year has passed: I am finally in a position "time wise" where I have stated work on this project again. For the past couple weeks, I have been slowly getting back up to speed regarding where the project stopped so many many years ago.
The first thing I took note of: I really dislike CAN electrical control systems and harness re-wiring.
2nd: Where the heck did so many of the car's small parts disappear to?
3rd: I hope I can actually make significant forward progress before I get old and die.
(Or ICE vehicles are banned, and I have to start over again using electrical motors.)

In any case, as I make significant forward progress, I will comment and perhaps post a few pics.

Simple things like enlarging up a bullkhead hole to fit a GM sealing boot, took several hours. (Finding a workable combination of sheet metal cutter and grinder.)

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-01-2021)