S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weeping Transmission Oil Cooler Lines....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

My weeping transmission lines lost more than a litre of ATF from the time that passed between finding the leak and having the new lines installed. About three months if I remember correctly....

I would not ignore that leaking coolant reservoir. That could eventually cost you your engine....

Old 05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
My weeping transmission lines lost more than a litre of ATF from the time that passed between finding the leak and having the new lines installed. About three months if I remember correctly....

I would not ignore that leaking coolant reservoir. That could eventually cost you your engine....
John, I appreciate that but what would you suggest? It's been in there for about 3 years and started leaking only months after being replaced. Crap is crap. I only lose enough to run around the lip edge and then it dries out so no real lose to speak of. That's the way it was when I took it in for warranty replacement. If someone has an improved tank I'm all ears. I have a really good Norma style clamp with rolled edges (FI style) on that tiny hose too.

Maybe some silicone at the base of the nuipple will stop it. I can try ...

I've got two bottle of the Mercon so I'll see if that gives me a temporary reprieve until I can get the pan dropped. It is only 50K miles.

I need to inspect the front pads as well so after all of this only the under supercharger hose time bomb left as a big repair. I'm not sure that it's any worse then all the things I'm replacing now though. Oil hose failures are an instant killer.

My local repair guy is very good though his shop is messy and he's a bit more rough than I like for a car like this. So my Suburban goes there.

I showed him the oil cooler hoses (tranny & engine) he says that's pretty typical these days for a lot of cars. Wonderful ...
But the ones on my Suburban were leaky last year At 125K not 50K.

They use a set of brass compression 1/2" to simple hose barb type fittings and then a piece of hose and a pair of clamps when it becomes too much work to remove everything.

Enough kvetching already

Hopefully this will help others when it's their turn.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I hope this patch fix works for you. It would not have worked for my return line because along with it weeping at the rubber-to-metal crimp, it was also weeping at the O-ring connection on the oil cooler side of the line. So in my case, brand-new lines were probably the best decision at the time. That was in late 2013 and the replaced lines continue to be weep-free today. However, they do not resolve the original design flaw - they just re-start the clock on the lifespan of the new lines. So anytime I am underneath the car (now down to perhaps twice a year under normal circumstances but more frequently than that with all the suspension refurbishment Wayne and I did in 2017), I make sure to inspect these lines as best I can....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently bought a jaguar xf supercharged with a burned tranny, my mechanic found the trans. cooling lines to be the cause of the transmission burning due to the lines sipping oil thru, it **** went unnoticed to the last owner and well tranny burned out. my mechanic charged me 240 to put lines in. but the lines are expensive so total spent about 550 for the repair. he had to take the crossmember out from then engine as well as loosening the engine mounts to be able to lift engine and have room to remove and install new lines. with the tranny, lines and oil im close to 1100 total. but worth it as im very happy with the way the car drives and runs. and yes he is a certified mechanic. lol

Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Just look at those complex pipes and the short section of hose with a cummy crimp connection.

Here's another alternative: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...repair-197236/

If the snow ever stops I have to put mine up on jackstands again and see where the leaks are this time. I went with brand new OEM oil cooler lines for this STR and what's dripping smells like engine oil. Maybe I'll get lucky and this time an oil filter failed or the pan gasket needs replacing or ... the rear main seal has dailed!

Last time around I spent a lot of time looking at how I could modify those complex pieces of aluminum pipe to incorporate much longer pieces of hose and decided it was a huge project because of all of the trial and error fitting that was likely to be involved. Looks like I may have to revisit this idea. It doesn't have to be this annoying and crappy if the cras are engineered properly in the first place. Jaguars are NOT well engineered cars. PERIOD. They're not alone though.

Those tortured cooling lines are symptom of too much equipment in a tight space. I suspect the computer then lays out all the piping.

I had to do the tranny cooler lines at the same time. Those I did manage to repair inplace and I added longer lengths of hose but probably not long enough but at this point I can simply replace the hose portion fairly easily should it fail.

I have to wonder if they'd simply put a soft barb on each end of the aluminum and used a high quality hose clamp instead of that cummy crimp that it might hold up a lot better. Even a push lock hose fitting would be better than this.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We discussed that possibility. Their experience is that whenever you attempt to use a standard size vs. the required metric size, it will eventually leak even with double clamps on each end. They recommended not attempting to use the half-inch hose and continuing to search for the appropriate 13mm hose. I agreed....
1/2" is smaller than 13mm. It should be a tighter fit, not looser. Plus, one of the other threads around here said that the pipes were exactly 1/2 and not metric but I cannot verify that.

Last edited by zephyrprime; 10-02-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Just look at those complex pipes and the short section of hose with a cummy crimp connection.
Here's another alternative: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...repair-197236/
Correct link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...repair-197236/