X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jag - No gears - Noobie !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Jag - No gears - Noobie !!!

Automatic or manual transmission?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't sound good..

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any grinding when you put it into gear?
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the transfer case.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This sounds like the trans, rather than the T-case, only because you indicate that you regained power momentarily, and you don't indicate that there are any noises associated with this failure.

either way, it won;t be cheap.
Sorry friend.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can still put it in gear if the T-case took a dump. If you can't engage any gears, you need a trans my friend.
Hit up ebay or a really good salvage yard.

Good Luck. I know it sucks, but it could be worse.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: usb

Thanks everyone - so much more helpful than the VW Forum I belong to. It sucks because we are upside down on the car. No grinding noise when you put into gear.
Might be a good time to get GAP insurance and push it off a cliff . If you can get it in gear, you may need a transfer case. When my t-case took a dump, I was able to engage gears. You can get a t-case installed for around a grand if you pick up a used t-case and get it installed.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Fax Hi Jinx??

I was given a Car Fax from the dealer last May when I bought my '04 X-type. However, since I've been doing more and more investigating, I notice that there is a sticker on the tranny which can be seen from above looking down. The sticker says "remanufactured by JATCO". Also, it looks like some spray painton the muffler and lower part of the radiator- same color as the car. I assume by this that the car may have been hit. So just what does Car Fax do, and shouldn't these 2 items be on the report? If yes, do I have an issue witht the dealer or Car Fax even after 8 months?Any help would be appreciated!
Tony

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Car Fax Hi Jinx??

Unfortunately, CarFaxes are hit and miss. The information is only as good as the databases that CarFax has access to- it's why they have a prominent disclaimer that they won't be liable if they have gaps in their coverage. Here's the specific disclaimer:

http://www.carfax.com/data_sources.cfx

Needless to say, there are gaps in their coverage, so a Carfax won't always pick up everything. I always take a Carfax report with a grain of salt. I definitely check it to make sure there's no accident history on a car I'm contemplating, but I try to avoid being complacent if the Carfax comes up clean.

Your best bet is to check the CarFax first, and then go over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for signs of past accident damage. Some examples of tell tale signs to look for in a visual inspection:

[blockquote]
1.Missing decals around the door frames trunk lid and engine compartment. The manufacturer put them there, and there's no reason for an owner to take them off. If a car had to be re-painted, the body shop would rarely go to the effort of replacing them.

2. Paint overspray

3. Uneven gaps between the body panels

3. Poor fitting panels or uneven seams

4. Signs of buckling, bending, or abnormal weld marks on the edges of the body panels (where the fastening bolts go) or under the frame.

5. Clamp marks under the frame, which are telltale signs that the car was on a frame alignment checking machine at some point.[/blockquote]

Where's the overspray on your car? If it's just on the front/rear bumper, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. When you buy a used car (especially one with significant miles) it's not uncommon for the dealer to quickly re-spray the bumpers to clean up rock chip damage and make the car look presentable on the lot. If there's overspray deeper in the car (e.g., on the transmission, in weird placeslike the carpets,on the propshaft, differentials, etc.), it's probably an indication of sloppybodywork, and more cause to worry.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Car Fax Hi Jinx??

Carfax is imperfect as MattSteele says. If an accident didn't result in an insurance claim or police report it wont be on a Carfax. Also the reman tag on the trans could mean that the trans was replaced at the dealer under warranty and those repairs are not always listed as well. Paint overspray on the undertray or muffler doesn't mean much either. We spray probably 50% of the used cars we sell due to bumper scuffs, scratches etc. and this is usually just a bumper spray unless there is some horrible scratch somewhere. The best way to check for accident damage is to have the car professionally inspected at either a dealer or reputable body shop, there will probably be a fee for this. This isn't to say you may not get some satisfaction from your selling dealer if you recently purchased the car but keep in mind that they can only get the same carfax you get, there is no secret carfax for dealers eyes only. You could also have the selling dealer, assuming Jaguar, to run a world repair history on the car for you and this will show all warranty and select edition repairs made at a Jaguar dealer.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

usb, check with your local dealer about a "customer campaign" on certain '02 MY trannys. They should be able to tell by the number stamped on yours to make sure you were included. My auto box was replaced in 2004 under that program. Doubt the previous owner would have been missed but you never know.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks to all! Tony

Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM

You need a new transfer case that happened to both my jaguar x-types one was an auto and the other manual.