Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type Key LOST! Transponder question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X-Type Key LOST! Transponder question

Here is the situation:

My 2003 X-Type has no keys (pretty sure my roomate threw it away).
I'm looking for the cheapest way to get back on the road, but still have a keyless remote. I've spent most of this morning going over forums and talking to dealers/techs, and here is what I've come up with.

1. The dealer will sell me a "blade" and cut it to the VIN spec for a grand total of $62.
2. I have ordered a replacement fob from keylessride.com for $45 and have read the instructions on how to reprogram the fob once it arrives.

This seems all good and has me feeling optimistic, but there is a concern that just won't leave me alone. There is a lot of talk about fobs, but very little directly about transponders. Inside the "blade" section of the key, there is a transponder which must be programmed to the car, in order to start it.

I guess the core of the question is does the fob reprogramming sequence also program the transponder? Or am I going to have a nice looking new key that opens the doors but won't start the car?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are going to have to pay for the dealer to cut <and program> the chip inside the key. if you had even one key, that would be all you need to program it yourself

If you have the valet key, that will do it to - sequence is very easy

let us kow what happens, because I believe the dealer even needs a key that is programmed to charge you $85 for 10 seconds worth of worth (aside from the cutting)

Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would gladly pay $65 dollars for a cut key from a dealer. Can you say which dealer? Also Humy, how would I program it myself? I know how to program the FOBs, but not the keys. As you can tell, I only have one key. Did these cars only come with one key? I do have two working FOBs. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM

I am also interested in this topic, as we only have ONE key to the car (which I am sure would be a blessing for you), and I certainly would like to have a spare for under $300!!

If there's one thing I've learned about my Jag, while it may not be really expensive to purchase a nice one used, it does require a steady income to fix little "this and that" stuff, and it can definitely be fussy at times. Thank goodness I figured on this before purchasing!! Would not trade it though....

Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Humy
you are going to have to pay for the dealer to cut <and program> the chip inside the key. if you had even one key, that would be all you need to program it yourself

If you have the valet key, that will do it to - sequence is very easy
So are you saying that in order to begin the programming sequence you have to have a key with a transponder matched to your vehicle? I guess that would make sense as a security precaution, otherwise someone could just get a key cut to your VIN and then program the transponder with that key. Is that what you're saying?

Also, the dealer seems to think that I'm going to have to buy 2 keys in order to get it to work. Not quite sure what the logic is behind that... Something about having one key in the driver door, which sounds kind of outlandish to me...

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by RickMG
I would gladly pay $65 dollars for a cut key from a dealer. Can you say which dealer? Also Humy, how would I program it myself? I know how to program the FOBs, but not the keys. As you can tell, I only have one key. Did these cars only come with one key? I do have two working FOBs. Thanks.
Quoted by the parts department at Rover/Jaguar of San Juan Capistrano, CA. Unfortunately, San Diego just lost its Jag dealer and Carlsbad is the closest option. However, they've been open about a week, and don't even have the key cutting equipment installed right now!!! You can imagine how knowledgeable they were...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I programmed a third (valet) key using two keys, my orig keys were part of the fob. Insert first programmed key and turn to on position, wait for red security light to flash by cupholder and remove. Quickly, insert second key and turn to on, wait for red light again, remove - insert 3rd key, turn and the security light should flash once and crank the engine - it should start, meaning the 3rd key's chip is programmed to the ignition. I didn't try it with only one key, sorry.

anyway, with no keys - I am curious to hear how that would be done

Last edited by Humy; 01-27-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Key programming, you wont like it!!!

Everybody knows how to do the fobs so practice until you get it right.

Transponders as follows, 2 good working keys. Insert key one turn to ignition on, turn off and remove, insert 2nd good key, turn to ignition on, turn off and remove, new cut key insert and turn to ignition on, turn off and remove, repeat for other new keys with a total limit of 5.

Transponders as follows, 1 good working key. Drive car to dealer, have new key cut to existing key code or as close as possible if existing key is badly worn. Pay technician to connect IDS/SDD to vehicle and program your new key and any other keys you would like to purchase at this time so that you have a spare when you need it. Note!!! all keys must be present. If you later find your missing key it will have to be programmed along with the working keys to get it to work again. Note 2!!! to save a little money($10-15) you can have a green valet key for a 2000-2002 S-Type style cut for your X-Type and it will program and function normally just no attached remote though the 2000-2002 S-Type remote will work if programmed to the X-Type just as the flip style key and remote will work on the 2000-2002 S-Type if programmed properly.

Transponders as follows, zero working keys. Have car towed to dealer. Have 2 keys cut from secret DDW code only available to certain dealer personnel. Be sure to bring a proper vehicle title and or registration papers as some dealers will refuse to cut a key to code without these documents unless you are a regular customer they are familiar with. I know my dealer has this policy and i'm sure many others do as well. 2 keys are required to program transponders, 1 key cannot be programmed so be ready for the expense of 2 keys. Of course if you dont want or need a fob you can get 2 valet keys as stated above cut and programmed to save $30 and just use the key to lock and open doors. My personal recommendation if you have zero keys would be to buy 3 new keys so you can stash one away where it cannot be lost or stolen to avoid this costly(tow and all) repair.

Transponders as follows, 1 good key that is locked in the trunk with your groceries. Have car towed to dealer. Bust out visa, mastercard or big fat check to have key removed from trunk without damage to car.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Hello, I just wanted to ask you if you know how to reprogram the remote for a 2001 S Type. I had to change the battery, and now the lock and unlock buttons don't work. You mentioned above you might know how to do that. If you don't...do you know who might know. Thanks alot.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The easy part is to find the keys and remotes for cheap. For example, get the key and have it cut relatively inexpensively from Nalley Jaguar in Georgia. Also, you can find the remotes for pretty cheap from ebay. Again, that's the easy part.

Now, the bad news. In order to program additional remotes, you need one working key. To program new keys, however, you will need TWO working keys. So, in order to get any new keys programmed (without the two working ones), you are at the mercy of the dealer.

Lastly, the key and the remote need to be programmed individually.

That being said, several of us have posted the instructions on programming both in the forum here.

Sorry! Good luck!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Hello, and thanks for your reply. I have all the keys. About four, including the valet key. The problem came from changing the battery in the remote. I can open the trunk, and set off the alarm, but cannot lock and unlock the doors. I have heard somewhere that the remote for the S type is one of the few that absolutely need to be reprogrammed at the dealer. Have you heard otherwise? I just haven't found any solutions to this. I did try a few different methods, but none work.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM

Was wondering...I have two programmed fobs for my car. I recently bought two transponder keys from two different eBay sellers. Had them cut at the dealership, attempted to program them and failed. I used the method in which you place first programmed key in the ignition till center console light turns red, remove. Place second programmed key in till light turns red. place third NON programmed transponder key and red center console light should turn red and recognize new key. Instead on the non programmed key i get the red light flickering as the dash messages with "SECURITY FAILED". Am i doing something wrong ? Could it be the eBay keys are junk? I've read on this forum that as long as i have two programmed key i'll be able to program two more keys w/o having to go to the dealer.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by btc3076
Was wondering...I have two programmed fobs for my car. I recently bought two transponder keys from two different eBay sellers. Had them cut at the dealership, attempted to program them and failed. I used the method in which you place first programmed key in the ignition till center console light turns red, remove. Place second programmed key in till light turns red. place third NON programmed transponder key and red center console light should turn red and recognize new key. Instead on the non programmed key i get the red light flickering as the dash messages with "SECURITY FAILED". Am i doing something wrong ? Could it be the eBay keys are junk? I've read on this forum that as long as i have two programmed key i'll be able to program two more keys w/o having to go to the dealer.
You are doing the right thing, I suspect you are doing it too slow. If you know two keys are good, and the PATS LED is solid when you use them, forget about watching the LED. Quickly key on with key one and key two, then a new key, then again with key one or two. You have to follow the new one with one of the old ones. If you are doing a 4th key, then you have to do it all over again for it, using two good ones.

Cheers,

Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Key

Originally Posted by AntixSD
Here is the situation:

My 2003 X-Type has no keys (pretty sure my roomate threw it away).
I'm looking for the cheapest way to get back on the road, but still have a keyless remote. I've spent most of this morning going over forums and talking to dealers/techs, and here is what I've come up with.

1. The dealer will sell me a "blade" and cut it to the VIN spec for a grand total of $62.
2. I have ordered a replacement fob from keylessride.com for $45 and have read the instructions on how to reprogram the fob once it arrives.

This seems all good and has me feeling optimistic, but there is a concern that just won't leave me alone. There is a lot of talk about fobs, but very little directly about transponders. Inside the "blade" section of the key, there is a transponder which must be programmed to the car, in order to start it.

I guess the core of the question is does the fob reprogramming sequence also program the transponder? Or am I going to have a nice looking new key that opens the doors but won't start the car?
My son ordered a key from Keylessride.com, it worked for a week and then crapped the bed. Keylessride would not refund his money. My son went to the dealer and got a new key cut for his Olds for $75 including the remote.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM

That worked perfect for one of the new keys. Did it quick and she started right up. The other key just wont take for some reason.
Thank you for help xjrguy

Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, it is an old topic but I think it is a good place to start.
I have a 2007 X-type and have lost all keys.
I ordered 1 new key and 1 fob but I am unable to program it to the car.
I own a WDS and SDD but both end up with a software bug.
I have tried:
to program new transponder
to program new fob
to program new dashboard in the hope it would need the new key to put in.

But all sequensen were aborted by the software before I even had to put in the second key (as I have read on the software and on the forum you need a second one, so I will order one).

The fault I get on WDS and SDD:

Communication failure
A software error has occurred. Report this error via EPQR, specifying the error code and the name of the application. Write down these numbers:
4-36
Application:
Any ideas? I have programmed many keys to X,S and XJ with WDS so I know how it should work, but this is the first time the car has lost al his keys.

Edit:
Some website brought me to TBS: SSM 61577 but I am unable to find it (jet). I am also looking on Jaguar Topix.

Last edited by Gijzzy; 10-18-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

7 year old thread, good luck