X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?

I am usually on the X350 forum but ran across a 2004 X- type on the local craigs list. Vin SAJEA51C94WE01434 , 3.0l, 130000 miles, silver over black, Nav, heated seats, multi-CD, parking aid, new headliner, but bad transfer case. Ad says asking $1000, KBB says trade in $700 to $1200 (I assume for a running/driving example) and $2300 for a fair condition private party sale (again I assume for a driving example).

How hard is it to replace a transfer case and what do they usually cost in used but working condition? Is it worth messing with?

Old 12-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

To me, KBB value means nothing - especially on a car with a failed major component. Have you looked at this car? I'd approach it knowing that seller needs this car GONE. To me it's a $500 car - but only after I researched TC replacement cost and procedure. I've prolly got ample tools but no lift; not sure it'd be something I'd attempt.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by swingwing
To me, KBB value means nothing - especially on a car with a failed major component. Have you looked at this car? I'd approach it knowing that seller needs this car GONE. To me it's a $500 car - but only after I researched TC replacement cost and procedure. I've prolly got ample tools but no lift; not sure it'd be something I'd attempt.
I checked Car-part.com and used T-case prices range from $850 to $1000 before any taxes, shipping, or driving costs. My British car club has a 4-post lift and I have a pretty good collection of tools (if special tools are not required). Still, (assuming that a T-case is all that is needed - Big assumption), I'd be close to the KBB private party fair condition sale price and the KBB good condition PP sale is only $2600. Not a good margin if I wanted to flip it.

But, How is this model as a driver? I already have a well used 06 SV8 for my wife (130 K miles and a few door dings) that is a pleasant car to drive except for a front end clunk. Do X-types have the same bushing problems as the X350s? Any specific things to look for at 130K miles?

Attached Thumbnails 2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-00303_516q8ywqleh_1200x900.jpg   2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-01111_fqbeg7zhb27_1200x900.jpg   2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-00r0r_4trdcpo69fi_1200x900.jpg   2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-00d0d_ix9yx6pfahg_1200x900.jpg   2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-00n0n_cfxs2j2kkxi_1200x900.jpg  

Old 12-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Below is some links to different threads on the forum dealing with the transfer case. Unless the case is split you can rebuild it for a lot less than the price of a new one in unknown condition.There is a lot of info for the bearings and the output seal. Be very careful when disassembling and reassembling. You will find most of the part numbers you are looking for except the internal seal. As far as I know there isn't any information available for replacing it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ase-pics-9080/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-p-ns-60135/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fer-case-9303/

My X-Type is a daily driver except weekends when the XK8 emerges from the garage. I have found (after sorting a few small problems) it to be very dependable car. I think the ride is a little harsh for a Jaguar but only because of the difference in the XK8 and my nice heavy smooth saloon XJ8.

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
Count Iblis (12-20-2016), philwarner (12-14-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:33 PM

philwarner, thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a nice car - and a definite prospect. Can't speak to the TC job, but will tell you that wife and I really like our X-Type. It's sharp looking inside/out, easy to handle and responsive. Bought ours with 104k miles on it, now at 110k. Took it on a 2k mile road trip in October and it ran flawlessly, gave us 28mpg. Have been working on it steadily to correct some neglected items (fluids, suspension arms, shocks, front brakes, etc.) but everything I've done so far is pretty straightforward. Lack of fluid service is probably what took out the TC on car you're looking at; if you get it do a fluid service on the transmission (not bad) and the differential (not an easy job unfortunately).

Attached Thumbnails 2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-exterior.jpg   2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-cocomats.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 12-12-2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
philwarner (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
Below is some links to different threads on the forum dealing with the transfer case. Unless the case is split you can rebuild it for a lot less than the price of a new one in unknown condition.There is a lot of info for the bearings and the output seal. Be very careful when disassembling and reassembling. You will find most of the part numbers you are looking for except the internal seal. As far as I know there isn't any information available for replacing it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ase-pics-9080/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-p-ns-60135/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fer-case-9303/

My X-Type is a daily driver except weekends when the XK8 emerges from the garage. I have found (after sorting a few small problems) it to be very dependable car. I think the ride is a little harsh for a Jaguar but only because of the difference in the XK8 and my nice heavy smooth saloon XJ8.
philwarner, thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a nice car - and a definite prospect. Can't speak to the TC job, but will tell you that wife and I really like our X-Type. It's sharp looking inside/out, easy to handle and responsive. Bought ours with 104k miles on it, now at 110k. Took it on a 2k mile road trip in October and it ran flawlessly, gave us 28mpg. Have been working on it steadily to correct some neglected items (fluids, suspension arms, shocks, front brakes, etc.) but everything I've done so far is pretty straightforward. Lack of fluid service is probably what took out the TC on car you're looking at; if you get it do a fluid service on the transmission (not bad) and the differential (not an easy job unfortunately).

Thanks, guys,

After some research, it seems replacing the transfer case is definitely not a trivial job and buying a used one could also be a $1000 shot in the dark if it was not removed carefully. I'll look into the rebuild threads.

One attraction to the X-Type in question is that it looks to be the same platinum color as our SV8, although I am not a big fan of dark interiors. I may give the seller a call and see what my i930 code reader can reveal about possible other problems.

On ride quality, our 06 Super V8 doesn't ride nearly as well as the 87 XJ6 or the 86 DD6, probably due in part to 19" wheels and limited sidewall rubber, but on a 300 mile drive yesterday it sure was nice to have heated seats, built in NAV, and adaptive cruise control. The 26 MPG average and the extra oomph for passing were nice too.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 3 .0 needs transfer case - value?-sv8-8-25-2015-5-.jpg  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Phil, how was it determined the transfer case was bad? Did you check it yourself, or did the owner say that? Reason I mention that is if it is an incorrect diagnosis maybe it it is something else that could be easy to remedy and you could have a real steal. This looks like the face lift model with the updated, non-viscous coupling transfer case. Those later versions seem to hold up better.

One thing I did see is it does not have DSC. Not the best combination in the snow with the the newer style transfer case

Does it drive at all?

philwarner (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Phil, how was it determined the transfer case was bad? Did you check it yourself, or did the owner say that? Reason I mention that is if it is an incorrect diagnosis maybe it it is something else that could be easy to remedy and you could have a real steal. This looks like the face lift model with the updated, non-viscous coupling transfer case. Those later versions seem to hold up better. One thing I did see is it does not have DSC. Not the best combination in the snow with the the newer style transfer case Does it drive at all?
I haven't called yet, but I had the same question about the diagnosis (and also what else might need attention). Here is what the listing said.

"I must sell a 2004 Jaguar X-type all wheel drive. Has a 3.0L V6 with automatic transmission. I bought this car as is from a friend in Bella Vista. He owned it for many years. When I bought it from him, it was barely limping along with a transfer case problem. I drove it home, parked it and have started working on it, but since I bought it, I have had a medical problem that requires surgery to fix it. And I won't be able to finish the car for at least 3 to 4 months while my shoulder heals. So, I have decided to sell it as is to the highest bidder. This car is in very good condition. The motor starts with a bump of the key. A transfer case is readily available online or at a dealership in Tulsa. There are also several places in this area that work on imports like this car. Features of this car read like an enormous list of every option available on a Jaguar. It has a working navigation screen/system. It has a premium Alpine head system that sounds fantastic. The car just turned 130,000 miles and motor runs smooth like it should. I have the service manual for this car and a video that shows step by step directions to remove and replace the transfer case. It can be done in a day or two if you possess hand tools and are mechanically inclined as I am. I really wanted to get this car repaired and keep it for the next 10 years or so. It has front heated powered bucket Italian leather seats, a brand new headliner just barely installed before I bought it. It has rear parking sensors, 3 driver memory, built in programmable garage door opener, upgraded HID lights and really too many options to mention here. If you're looking for an inexpensive way to own a like new luxury sedan, and are interested in this car, call or text me. No scammers or emailers. Cash only. The car will need to be towed but the motor starts and runs great. I'm asking $1000 Clean, clear title."

So.....he says he drove it home, but it will need to be towed. Question is will it drive onto a trailer or has he disabled something. I am not sure about taking this on because of many other projects I have, but I am still intrigued. Hence the post for advice from you guys who know the model.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe at least ask him if it has any codes and if it does post them here. Maybe that would give a hint. So hard to say.

It certainly LOOKS like a nice car from the pictures and is certainly loaded. I agree with you, very intriguing.

You might want to contact a member on here, Dr. Dome. He parts out X-Types, or at least did. He might have a transfer case for sale.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
One thing I did see is it does not have DSC. Not the best combination in the snow with the the newer style transfer case
Did you determine no DSC from the photos or from the VIN?

I was reading a review at https://www.newcartestdrive.com/revi...jaguar-x-type/ and trying to figure what packages this one has. From the package descriptions it does not appear to have the premium package (no 8-way passenger seat) or luxury package (no contrasting piping) nor the sport package (no spoiler), so the heated seats. reverse parking aid, and NAV must have been individually purchased options. It does appear to have the 6-CD player in the boot, but no dual climate controls up front (if that was offered).

Old 12-14-2016, 08:59 PM

Based on where you live I wouldn't be concerned about DSC or lack thereof. Matters not methinks.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 PM

Based on where you live I wouldn't be concerned about DSC or lack thereof. Matters not methinks.
Yes, we usually have only a couple of good snows a year, although we do get some ice storms. Being retired I can choose to stay home even when the power goes out as long as I have gas for the generator and wood for the stove.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=philwarner;1585649]Did you determine no DSC from the photos or from the VIN?

If you look on the picture of the gear shift look on the bottom right of that area. You'll see an area with some slots in it for holding coins. If the car had DSC there would be an actual button to push with a red LED. I think the button has a pictogram of what looks like a skidding car if I remember correct.

philwarner (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=Alfadude;1586047]
Originally Posted by philwarner
Did you determine no DSC from the photos or from the VIN?

If you look on the picture of the gear shift look on the bottom right of that area. You'll see an area with some slots in it for holding coins. If the car had DSC there would be an actual button to push with a red LED. I think the button has a pictogram of what looks like a skidding car if I remember correct.
OK, got it. On my SV8 the DSC defeat button is at the front of the shifter beside the P and it does have a car's rear silhouette with squiggly marks at the tires.

BTW, I looked up the VIN at FordEtis home page and it does list a passenger 10-way power seat but only the driver's seat as heated. It doesn't list it as having any of the packages but does list the optional items like the 6-CD player, premium sound system, NAV, and a few others.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Either both front seats are heated, or none are. The pictures show there are buttons for the heated seats. I would guess on the car you are looking at both seats are powered, but there are more adjustments on the driver seat. Looks like a pretty loaded car.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:29 PM

I went to Craig's List earlier today to call the seller and set up a visit, and the listing was deleted. Oh well. That saves me from having to make a decision and saves me from experiencing "the look" from my wife for bringing home another project. The SV8 will not have a little sister for now, but perhaps I'll eventually find another that does not need a transfer case.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate the time and effort.

Old 03-05-2022, 04:41 AM
Received 193 Likes on 122 Posts

edit

Last edited by Keesh; 03-05-2022 at 04:57 AM.