X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth adapter for 2001 X-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth adapter for 2001 X-type

I recently purchased a 2001 X-type, and I would really like to interface the audio system with my mobile phone (presently a Nokia E72) for handsfree function.

From what I understand, the 2001 model wasn't even offered with a Bluetooth option, but there are still the "phone buttons" on the panel. Pressing one of these results in a "No phone" message on the screen. This could mean either of the following:

- There is no HF module installed at all
- There is an HF module installed, but intended for connecting the phone by (mobile phone manufacturer specific) cable and connector (not installed)
- There is indeed a Bluetooth HF module istalled, but (of course) not yet associated with my phone

The general manual isn't of much help so if any of you guys could help, then this would be very much appreciated:

- How to find out which alternative applies?
- If there is no HF module installed, then what are the chances of finding a modern third party Bluetooth HF module that would work with this system?

If I could just use the audio system's speaker and microphone (it looks as if there is a microphone integrated into the dashboard) and the "phone buttons" for receiving and ending calls, then I would be super happy. Using also the audio system's keypad for making cals would be an added advantage, but not critical. No need for playing MP3 tunes, etc, through Bluetooth.

Regards,

Sarastro

Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Welcome to the forum....

There are some real easy tests to see if your car is fitted with a Phone Module. More than likely it isn't.

See, all the Jaguar factory installed audio units from this time period had the phone buttons built in. They didn't make a different unit for those cars without integrated phone.

So, you need to check and see if the car has a phone module. Since yours is a 2001, most likely it would have been equipped with the phone in the cradle in the center console.

Check your console for a cradle with cable attached.

Also, the microphone looking device in the dash is one of the climate control sensors (probably).

Since the phone was an accessory type of option, the microphone would be surface mounted on the headliner between the map lamp console and the visor.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Your questions have been answered many times already here...try searching for "bluetooth" or similar tags.

"No Phone" means there is absolutely no phone equipment installed in your car. There is no microphone either, the little vent in the dash is for the humidity sensor from the aircon.

You are probably better off going for an aftermarket BT handsfree as a standalone (Parrot seems to be the most popular), but if you're interested I did retrofit the original Jaguar bluetooth phone system (which is incorporated into the touchscreen) to my car; short explanation here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-system-55868/

Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you very much for those bits of wisdom.

I used my Nokia phone to see if there would be any Bluetooth device to "pair" with, but found nothing. Also, there is no connector/cradle in the armrest. So, yes, I think that we can safely assume that there is no HF module installed at all.

As for microphone(s); Well, I'm sure thar you are right about the humidity sensor to the right of the steering wheel (LHD). However, the panel in the ceiling between the visors does have two devices integraded, which do look suspiciosly like microphones. Could this be so?

Having read most of the links you propose, it sems that using a third party Bluetooth adapter would entail quite a bit of work, and still wouldn't give me the features I want. The alternative would be to go with Jaguar original components. Buying these new would of course be out of the question (for obvious financial reasons), but I have found a couple of used audio systems available from scrapped X-types (both 2004 model). See e. g. Radio / Stereo - Jaguar X-Type -04 - W509553 (sorry about the Swedish). The price is SEK 1500 (about EUR 160 or USD 230), which would put it within an acceptable range.

- Do you think that this would be an option?
- If so, how do I know wheter the used system has the Bluetooth function (or how do I recognise the module itself)?
- If the used system does have the Bluetooth module, would it be possible to cannibalise this for the module only, or would it be better to change out the whole system?

As always, your help/advice would be very much appreciated

/Sarastro

Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Hi,

Those suspcious looking grilles in the roof console are where ultrasonic sensors would be fitted with the top end security package.

You don't have any phone equipment fitted. That radio that you linked to won't do you any good either. The phone module is completely separate and in the boot/trunk. The bluetooth module is again separate. You don't need to change your head unit. Have a look again at the post here again https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...68/#post373965, those parts in the picture of my boot/trunk are all you'd need to fit the factory system. The actual bluetooth module is the black box with a wire coming out of it.

But i can now assume that you don't have a navigation system / touchscreen fitted. In this case it's probably not worth the trouble, unless you can find the parts cheap. Try contacting Eurojag.com, xtypeparts.com or b12jags.co.uk (in the UK, closer to Sweden than the US)

The other alternative is a Parrot system, but I don't like them...might work for you though...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM

My apologies. I should have studied the linked information more in detail, before digging too deep into this .

Now I think that it is much clearer, and I will seach the database from the scrapyards for used original parts. If I make any progress, I will post here.

Just two small questions:
- Do you think that I will have any trouble interfacing a much more recent HF module with my (rather old) radio system?
- Are the wires necessary for HF (running from mid console to boot and microphone position) normally pre-fitted, so that I can just hook up the additional harnesses?

My X-type does have the CD player in the boot.

/Sarastro

Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM

It's ok mate. Your welcome. In answer to your last questions:

You can certainly fit newer phone modules and BT modules to your car, the only catch is actually mentioned in your 2nd question.

The wiring may or may not be there. It may or may not be suitable.
To find out for sure you need to have a look in the boot for the phone module connector, have a look at this pic;

The big grey plug on the left should be in the boot, in the vicinity of your CD changer, this connects to the phone module. The black & red connector in the middle of the photo connects to the Bluetooth receiver (& in older models, to the handset in the center console). You need to have 8-pins in that black & red connector. Early models may only have 5, this won't work for the BT.
You'll have to remove your center console to find this plug...sorry!
Some instructions on how to remove the center console can be found here; HERE

If you've got an 8-pin plug, then you might have to re-arrange a couple of pins, but in principle the main wiring is there.

The following users liked this post:
Sarastro (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks a lot. That's most helpful information

In fact, I think I may already have found a used HF module here: Övrigt Styrenhet - Jaguar X-Type -01 - W747241. Not sure about the price though, but I have sent a few queries for the complete set (HF, BT, Microphone and harnesses) from other scrap yards as well.

If this dosn't work out, then I will probably go for wire connection (but unsure if there is a cradle/connector to fit my Nokia E72).

Oh no! Just realised that the E72 doesn't even have connector for HF . So BT it'll have to be.....

/Sarastro

Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 PM

Careful, that's not a Bluetooth Compatible phone module.

The ones you need are P/N 2W93-19K350-?? (last two letters don't matter)

That one you have in the link is only for wired handsets.

Try those guys websites I linked to earlier in the UK, will surely be cheaper than in Sweden.

Cheers,
Cambo.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the warning. Checked those websites, but no luck yet. I will keep searching (in Sweden and elsewhere). To be honest, there is no great hurry, so we'll see how we go....

Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HI to all

i'm trying to learn a little bit on how i can integrate bluetooth to my car and if it already prewired and i need more to make it work

actually i have touchscreen satnav, cd changer in trunk, 8 watts middle cardle motorola phone and just want to add bluetooth on this to avoid using a second sim card. i mounted the parrot but unfortunatly its not that good thanks for your help

regards

Old 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM

Have a look at this picture;

Clockwise from the bottom;
Phone module 2W93-19K350-??
Bluetooth Module C2S 38536 (i have a spare one of these at the moment)
D2B Cable for 3x modules, (don't know how many you need)
Loop to blank off one of the D2B units, came with my ACM (you might not need this)
Phone loom 4X43-19A442, this is the "pre-wired" section.
Microphone C2C 29785 LFJ --> note that the LFJ refers to the colour, in this case Nimbus Grey

You might be lucky that the phone loom has 8x wires in the connector under the center armrest, where the Motorola Handset is connected.
If so then good, if not, you need to add wires or try to find a complete loom from a wrecker. I pulled a loom out of a 2001 car in Australia a few months back, & it had 8 wires in it, you might be lucky.

As mentioned above, your phone module won't be bluetooth compatible, so you'll have to change it. I have a spare Bluetooth module, PM if you're interested.