X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Fuel Filter

As I posted a few months back my 03 2.5L came with a lot of service records. One service I can't find being done, changing the fuel filter. First of all where is the fuel filter? In the engine compartment or on the fuel line somewhere between the front and rear of the car. The Mercedes I had had the fuel filter mounted next to the fuel pump under the car, to get to the filter you had to remove the fuel pump first. I never did this job as Its too much work. The Mercedes dealer charged me $225 and change for this job.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Google is your friend

Fuel Filter - The fuel filter is of a conventional construction being that of a paper element sealed within a steel canister. The fuel filter is located in front of the fuel tank, on the right-hand side of the floor plan.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just priced having my fuel filter changed out (by Midas) and they said it was around $100...

Someone just posted today that they found a similar dollar amount estimated for the same thing (+/- a few bucks)...

Im adding it to my "Costs Under $200 to Replace/Repair" list... Im going to do these types of repairs - one each month...so I can spread out the cost... Other items on the list would be a Coolant flush, transfer case refill, tranny fluid flush, replace spark plugs, replace all filters, etc.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Smile Fuel Filter

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Google is your friend

Fuel Filter - The fuel filter is of a conventional construction being that of a paper element sealed within a steel canister. The fuel filter is located in front of the fuel tank, on the right-hand side of the floor plan.
Another convenient location. What ever happened to the see thru filters that use to be mounted in the engine compartment. The last car I had which had a fuel filter in the engine compartment was an 86 Porsche Carrera.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Smile Fuel Filter replacement

Originally Posted by Mayor111
I just priced having my fuel filter changed out (by Midas) and they said it was around $100...

Someone just posted today that they found a similar dollar amount estimated for the same thing (+/- a few bucks)...

Im adding it to my "Costs Under $200 to Replace/Repair" list... Im going to do these types of repairs - one each month...so I can spread out the cost... Other items on the list would be a Coolant flush, transfer case refill, tranny fluid flush, replace spark plugs, replace all filters, etc.
$100 is not bad, the Mercedes I had before the X type, cost quite a bit more to replace the fuel filter, as the fuel pump had to come out first.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I'm not completely clued up to the current exchange rate of £ to $ but $100?!?!?!?

The fuel filter is very easily visible by sticking your head under the car just in front of the rear tyre on the right hand side. Passenger side in the US but drivers side in the UK.

It's about £5 over here for a new fuel filter and with the help of a "How to" on this forum somewhere, easily changed in 15 minutes by a complete novice mechanic. (I know this as I have done it myself and am certainly no expert!!)

Hope this helps to save a few bucks.

Kris

Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL. If I had you peoples money id burn mine. JK.
Krisfx said it best. The fuel filter is probably one of the easiest things to do on this car, not to mention cheapest. You can pick up a fuel filter anywhere for under 10 dollars. And switch it out in like 10 min. All you do is pop out the plastic holders that keep the line from backing off and well, back the line off. Both sides. Granted you will get fuel on you and im sure theres some way of getting less fuel on you but its fast as simple.

Dave

Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

He's getting charged an hours labour to do it, if I remember right Adam is partially disables so he can't do it himself, I know the part here is around 10-15.00.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Ahhhh i see. Well as for everyone else then. LOL. And im sure Adam has a buddy that could help him out? I work on all my friends rides.

Hey Adam if I lived near you id hook ya up

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Guys - Im an IT Director - my "wrench" is a keyboard - Im the farthest thing from a mechanic...

Could someone take a picture of where the Fuel Filter is so I know where to look for it? Also what do you mean "pop off the plastic holders"?

You need to dummy-proof things x 10 for me...

I found this Fuel Filter for $10.99:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...partnum=F65217

Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM

LOL. Got ya. Ok well take a look at the picture of the fuel filter you posted. Notice the plastic clips that hold themselves from coming off by that ridge? Those clips are used to replace the ones if broken/worn on the existing lines. Sometimes you can get them to come off without using a fuel line disconnect tool. This is a picture of the tool, cheap version ( what i use ) http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/219...nnect_Tool.jpg

You slide the elongated part inside the clip which lifts the little tabs holding onto the ridge. Understand? Acts like a snake bite. LIKE THIS.... http://photos.imageevent.com/eelpusd...uelfilter2.jpg

Most of the time you just reuse the same clips to not complicate things. But do so at your own discretion.
WARNING: If you dont go through the bull of bleeding the fuel lines by pulling the fuel pump relay or however other ways people do, YOU WILL RELEASE SOME FUEL. Not a big deal. If it is to you then do as i said.
OVERALL: Very easy to do once you take a look. After you do it once you will be able to in 10 min.
Also the fuel filter is located ( U.S. ) on the passenger side just before the rear tire

Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Smile Fuel Filter replacement

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
He's getting charged an hours labour to do it, if I remember right Adam is partially disables so he can't do it himself, I know the part here is around 10-15.00.
Yea I am partially disabled so don't do much work on cars any longer. As I mentioned my neighbor is a Ford mechanic, he changed my oil, I bought the oil and filter for about $35.00 and he charged me $10.00 for the labor. I am going to look around for a fuel filter before it starts to get really cold and have him do it. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Guys - Im an IT Director - my "wrench" is a keyboard - Im the farthest thing from a mechanic...

Could someone take a picture of where the Fuel Filter is so I know where to look for it? Also what do you mean "pop off the plastic holders"?

I found this Fuel Filter for $10.99:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...partnum=F65217
I'm an IT Reseller, but if you're going to drive an English car you have to be willing to get your hands dirty, the filter is a really simple 5 minute job, pretty much IT Director proof.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol Don't feel bad. I started reading this post and my first thought was, Oh God, there's a fuel filter, too?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Default Fuel Filter

I don't know where all you live, country that is. I am in the colonies. I found the fuel filter at Auto Zone and NAPA. Also, my Ford mechanic neighbor is going to check to see if a Ford fuel filter will fit as Motorcraft #400 oil filter fits this car and is probably 1/2 the price of a Jaguar filter.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Im lucky...I paid $10 for a Fuel Filter from AutoZone and then had a mechanic at a local Aamco install all the following for $22.50:

* Fuel Filter ($10)
* Air Filter ($16)
* Cabin Filter ($24)

Not bad - I kept my IT Geek hands clean and didnt get slammed with a high bill... (Im shining my Pocket Protector as I write this) LOL!!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Smile Cabin Filter

Im lucky...I paid $10 for a Fuel Filter from AutoZone and then had a mechanic at a local Aamco install all the following for $22.50:

* Fuel Filter ($10)
* Air Filter ($16)
* Cabin Filter ($24)

Not bad - I kept my IT Geek hands clean and didnt get slammed with a high bill... (Im shining my Pocket Protector as I write this) LOL!!
Where did U get the cabin filter, I understand it is under the plastic cover of the windshield wipers.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Adam,

Are you asking where I bought the Cabin Filter or where is it located?

Well I'll answer both for you;

1) I bought it at Advance Auto. They didnt have it in stock, but if their warehouse is close enough, anything you order by 1PM can be there the same day around 5PM.

2) Where is the Cabin filter located? If you are looking at the front of your car, it is directly under the left windsheild wiper. There is a plastic lip that runs the entire length under your windshield with (4) plastic caps that secure it to the frame. I didnt take out that plastic lip - I was able to gently bend up the left side, slide out the old, then slide in the new with no issues.

I hope this helps!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Smile Air filter

Adam,

Are you asking where I bought the Cabin Filter or where is it located?

Well I'll answer both for you;

1) I bought it at Advance Auto. They didnt have it in stock, but if their warehouse is close enough, anything you order by 1PM can be there the same day around 5PM.

2) Where is the Cabin filter located? If you are looking at the front of your car, it is directly under the left windsheild wiper. There is a plastic lip that runs the entire length under your windshield with (4) plastic caps that secure it to the frame. I didnt take out that plastic lip - I was able to gently bend up the left side, slide out the old, then slide in the new with no issues.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for both pieces of advice.