X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody got a schematic / diagram of x Type handbrake cable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Has anybody got a schematic / diagram of x Type handbrake cable?

Hi guys, I'm on the scrounge, has anybody got a schematic diagram of the handbrake assembly for a 2.2 D x type saloon (UK). I've got a sticking passenger side calliper that is looking like the handbrake cable is at fault. Not sure if it can be repaired or might be easier to just replace it from some of the posts I've read on here..

Hope you can help

Old 06-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Hex Type, I have had more than my fair share of sticky calipers. I would first start with removing the cable from the caliper and then moving the arm of the caliper by hand. If you look on the back side of the caliper, you will see a point on the arm and it will be between 2 bolts. The arm should move pretty much from bolt to bolt. If you release it and it stops half way or you can move it a bit more to the return position, then you have a bad caliper. I have a write up on how to fix this. Otherwise, you are looking at buying a new caliper to install. If the cable is truely your problem, you are going to be installing a new cable. In short, what you have under your car is the e-brake lever with a single cable coming off of it. From there, the other end of that cable (only about 20-30 CM in length as I recall) goes to a splitting bar. The single cable attaches in the center and you have the 2 cables (1 to each of the rear tires) on the ends of this bar. Each of these cables runs to the e-brake lever on the caliper. Not much more to this than that.

As for the problem with the caliper, I have found through my dissection of a failed caliper that the problem is corrosion on the joint where the e-brake lever goes through the caliper. Water will get inside this joint and rust things together and cause lots of friction. A little bit of light polishing of the surfaces and all is better. Unfortunately, you need a 14mm pentasocket (yes, a 5 pointed socket). They can be had for fairly cheap ($10 USD), which is fair better than a new caliper (about $100 USD). Breaking the caliper down takes about 20 minutes, 10 minutes in cleaning things up, then another 20 minutes to put it back together.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Thanks Chris, I've decided ill overhaul the brakes as I'm doing it, have ordered a calliper overhaul set of rubbers, very difficult to get now, from ebay still waiting for them to arrive a week later. Will paint the callipers up and put new disks and pads on all round might as well do the job properly. Ill have a look underneath the car to see what you have described, the cable does seem to be sticking and when disconnected from the calliper the ebrake lever on the calliper moves fine. The only other difficulty I have found is there seems to be 3 versions of parts on that year and I'm struggling to find where I can find out which version is mine. When I go to a supplier they simply ask for the chassis number and say I need xxxx part. MY log book says my vehicle is a 114 KW but I've had parts from a 120KW etc that fit so I'm really stumped. There are loads of cheap parts on ebay if I knew what version to order... Any ideas how I can tell?

Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Hex Type (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Hex, you must have a 2005 vehicle. This is where knowing whether you have the old style caliper or the new style will come in to play. I would say to give them the VIN and buy the part locally so if it happens to be the wrong part, you can trade it back in and get the correct one. You might get lucky and still have the factory part number sticker still on the cable. But, I would not be holding my breathe on finding it.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Hex, you must have a 2005 vehicle. This is where knowing whether you have the old style caliper or the new style will come in to play. I would say to give them the VIN and buy the part locally so if it happens to be the wrong part, you can trade it back in and get the correct one. You might get lucky and still have the factory part number sticker still on the cable. But, I would not be holding my breathe on finding it.

Agreed Thermo that's what I have been doing, and believe me I've been back and forwards to the spares shop, spent more waiting time than actually working on the thing... its so tempting though when you see these parts at a fraction of the cost on ebay. I've got an 06 registered plate but it may have rolled of the production line 05 and that's where the confusion might be..

Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Hex, having been in your spot with a cross year parts car, it can be a little challenging. My 86 T-bird was like that as it had a 87 motor in it and the motor had a few changes made to it that year. All you can do is try and look at as many things as possible to narrow down what it can be and then walk into the spares shop with the bad part in hand and hope that they have one sitting on the shelf. Atleast that way you can compare the parts side by side before you walk out the door with it.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

See here.....

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xp...Manual.pdf.zip

pages from around 261 - 303 should be what you want

Good luck