X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must be an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I must be an idiot

I tried the transfer case oil change, as per the faq write up. I could neve get more that 100ml out of the drain/fill hole. No matter how I manipulated the car(jacked up, let down, level). So I skipped the engine flush portion, and since I had a full quart, added and drained 100ml at a time. That is until I put in the last 100! I dont see how you could get all 500-600ml out in one drain????

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Just wondering, did you drain it with the car level and then jack up one side to put the fluid back in?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM

I drained it level. Then jacked up the passanger side, then the rear, to attempt to drain as much as possible. I refilled level, then tried the opposite direction to fill, jacking up the drivers side front only. I could never get out, or put in more than 100ml at a time.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Its my understanding that the 500-600 ml amount is the full intended capacity of the transfer case. When drained on a level car all but approx 150 ml will come out (350-450 ml). The remaining amount can be pumped out. If the case has lost fluid for any reason you will drain out that much less. After draining you should then add the missing 350-450 ml regardless of the drained amount. If the case had been lost all fluid then you would have to add all 500-600 ml.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Kay, I just want to clarify something for you. Getting out 100ml of fluid from your transfer case is more than most of us get. It is not uncommon for members to get no fluid out of their transfer cases. With only 600 ml in the case from the factory, any sort of leakage is going to result in no lube fairly quickly. If anything, I would recommend getting back under the car, pulling the plug, draining out whatever is in there and then adding in 500 ml of fluid back in. When draining, just make sure not to have the driver's side higher than the passenger side as this will tend to keep fluid in the case. THis can lead to spitting excess fluid out of the T-Case leading to a nasty smell from the fluid burning on the exhaust piping.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM

When I drained the car level only about 100ml came out. When refilling, it would only take 100ml back in before spilling out the fill hole. Tried to suction out the rest. Couldn't fit a 1/4in hose in the case??? So I just tried tipping the car???

Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Kay, this is the trick with the transfer case. There is a fill hole (you opened the drain hole). But, the fill hole is tucked between the transfer case and the engine block.
So, the only way to access it is to drop the transfer case out of the car. So, this puts you in a quandry.

Yes, it is possible to put more fluid into the transfer case using the drain plug, but you have to have the passenger tires on the ground and then raise the driver's side up so that the bottom edge of the body is about 24" off of the ground. This should allow you to put in the recommended amount of fluid.

Option 2 is something I came up with which involves getting a brass radiator drain valve that has a collar on it (looks like a 9mm shell casing that has been attached on the T-handle of the valve). This will have a 1/4" NPT male fitting on it. You then will need a 1/4" NPT female to 1/2" NPT male adapter (can be had at most hardware stores for around $3). You screw the drain valve into the adapter, then file the flats off of the adapter (not off of the valve) and install the assembly in where the factory drain plug was.
This will allow you to insert a tygon tube into the collar of the valve and run the tube up through the engine bay. From here you can add in the necessary lube, shut the valve and then remove the tygon tubing.

Option 3 is to find a member on here that is selling a kit he created that has a check valve in it. You install the check valve in place of the drain plug and then using the check valve override piece, this allows you to drain and add fluid as needed. I'm sure someone else knows the link right off the top of their head or you can do some searching for the kit.

If you need more info on this, let me know.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jut did mine last week end on my new-to-me 2004 3.0 with 52k miles..... I bought a drain/fill device from Autozone that looks like a big blue metal syringe with a 3/8 clear hose hanging off the end. Went to a hardware store and bought a brass 1/2 NTP to 3/8 barbed hose connector from the plumbing section.

Drained everything I could from the transfer case, screwed in the brass connector and slowly injected 425 ml of Royal Purple 75w 140 with the syringe and quickly pulled off the hose and inserted a wooden plug I made for the purpose.

Then I quickly unscrewed the brass connector and quickly replaced the original plug and tightened it up with little fluid loss. (took me two tries and a mess to get it right)

Not sure I have exactly 500ml in the case but it is pretty close...certainly more than there was before the procedure and its fresh synthetic.

Check for leaks after driving.... mine looks clean an no gear oil has been ejected from the vent.

I'll post a picture of the device and brass connector when I get a chance.

I'm inclined to declare victory and I have peace of mind knowing that there is new oil in the transfer case and the old fluid wasn't cooked and there were no metal shavings on the magnetic plug.

Wasn't too difficult and worth the effort for the peace of mind.

Going to attempt the tranny drain/fill procedure this upcoming week end

Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW... hope this helps... just posting what worked for me although others on this forum have posted more elegant ways to solve the problem.... good luck

Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 AM

Thermo, does your assembly stay in place of the factory drain plug? Do I still need to raise the driver side to allow gravity to do it's job? Or can I do this with the car level and force the fluid in?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Kay, my piece remains in place. It replaces the factory drain plug. I have the valve open, install the tygon tubing through the engine bay. I dump the needed amount of fluid down the tube. Let it gravity drain into the transfer case. Then, once the level in the tygon stabilizes, I shut the valve and remove the tube (dumping maybe 1 ml of fluid).

If you look in my pictures, I have some of the valve I created and that will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Out of curiosity, what part of Michigan are you in. Occassionally I visit family in Toledo.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 AM

Ok. So I did the TC fluid change using the suggested method. Was able to put in about 510ml, so I was pretty happy about that. Test drove, had a couple little spots on the drive next morning. Now driving for 2-3 days I clearly have gear lube coming out and covering the exhaust????

Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok so let's see, 550 - 100 = 450; 450 + 510 = 960

So it should stop venting lube when approximately 360Ml has escaped.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Actually it was drained, got aprox 110ml out. So its -110= 0 + 510 of a possible 550, 550 - 510 = 40ml below full. Nothing should be escaping, but it is.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,
please could anyone verify that all x types with manual transmission have drain and refill facility? (don't want to unscrew the wrong plug!) thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by teffles
hi all,
please could anyone verify that all x types with manual transmission have drain and refill facility? (don't want to unscrew the wrong plug!) thanks

They do for the manual gearbox (a different drain and refill plug). This thread is taking about the transfer box. I believe the transfer box is the same for both manual and auto.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

yes, the transfer case for the manual and auto X-Types is the same. So, as long as you are following the directions provided on the forum for the transfer case (not the manual tranny), you will be good.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Kay, I just want to clarify something for you. Getting out 100ml of fluid from your transfer case is more than most of us get. It is not uncommon for members to get no fluid out of their transfer cases. With only 600 ml in the case from the factory, any sort of leakage is going to result in no lube fairly quickly. If anything, I would recommend getting back under the car, pulling the plug, draining out whatever is in there and then adding in 500 ml of fluid back in. When draining, just make sure not to have the driver's side higher than the passenger side as this will tend to keep fluid in the case. THis can lead to spitting excess fluid out of the T-Case leading to a nasty smell from the fluid burning on the exhaust piping.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
Good to know!