X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From what posts I've read, our cars take 6.5" speakers, but how deep can they be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From what posts I've read, our cars take 6.5" speakers, but how deep can they be?

Some 6.5" speakers can have really large magnets. I'm going to get high efficient ones, so they probably wouldn't be that large, but just in case. What is the maximum depth we have for the speaker area? The posts didn't say what size tweeters to replace the stock ones.

also, from a picture I just saw of the stock speaker, will a normal 6.5" go right in, or will I need an adapter that uses only 3 screws?

Polk Audio seems to have the highest sensitivity and lowest range for bass. I'm just thinking what will work best with no amp.
________
Infant Depakote

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 AM

The original speakers have adaptors which space them away from the door panels, would suggest you do the same, i bought mine from eBay, because i did not have the time to make them myself, but any good audio shop should be able to make them for you, or try eBay. The eBay ones i got were o.k. but proper mdf one would be acoustically better. You will need to have at least an inch in depth, with those you can use almost any normal speaker ...most come with between 5cm to 7cm mounting depth. They should fit, with a bit of room to spare. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi imgouki,

So, do I understand correctly, are you saying that the speaker should be no deeper than one inch?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 PM

I replaced my 4 door speakers last week. The max depth without spacers is 4"...there's lots of room back there.

The stock ones are mounted with only 3 screws and the pattern of most replacements are 4 screws, so I had to drill...no big deal.

I bought 6.5" Polk's from Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...aker&cp=1&lp=5

As a straight replacement, they sounded pretty good...better than stock. I then added a 2 channel amp (2X100) http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Power+400.html and WOW...they sound incredible. I mounted the AMP in the trunk, tapped into the front door main speaker wires (not the tweeter feed), used a line converter, RCA's to the AMP, then to the speakers.

I added some cheap (but still better than stock) Sony 6.5" speakers in the rear doors simply for fill, and I set the stereo to the "Front" mode. http://www.target.com/Sony-XSR1643-6...n&frombrowse=0

Probably the best speaker swap I've done in any of the car's I've owned, and all for less than $250!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 AM

Did not explain myself properly. Sorry. The spacer should be about an inch. Then you can add almost any normal speaker with ease. I decided not to drill into my door panels. Like above. It's just a personal choice. If i decide to take off the door panels again, i would add some sound deading to the panel. At higher volumes the can sometimes buzz.
Word of warning be very careful with removing the door panels, the plastic brackets get fragile with age. Try as i might even with a trimming tool, managed to break most of mine, had to glue them back. A job that takes some time.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, thanks guys. Replacing the speakers is definitely on my to do list - all four of the door speakers are dead in my X-Type. But this weekend, I am replacing the headlight assemblies and converting to HID's, so speakers will have to wait. At least now, I know what kind of speakers to look for on eBay.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM

I ordered some MB Quarts off of ebay for really cheap. I wanted the Polks, but I order 1 pair to try first and see if they are good. I bought the ones that I think are only 40w rms per side since I'm not using an amp to start. I was thinking since there is a cd changer in the trunk I should be able to tap into power back there. I wonder if I can use the cd changer's other wires and convert them to rca behind the deck and where the wire comes out in the trunk.

I also noticed most speakers seem to have multiple drill holes so we shouldn't have to drill the speaker ring area for most speakers.
________
CUMSHOT XXX

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 PM

As a straight replacement, they sounded pretty good...better than stock. I then added a 2 channel amp (2X100) http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Power+400.html and WOW...they sound incredible. I mounted the AMP in the trunk, tapped into the front door main speaker wires (not the tweeter feed), used a line converter, RCA's to the AMP, then to the speakers.

Hey TX_Jag,

What do you mean by tapped into the front door main speaker wires? Those wires run from the HU to the front doors. I'm wondering how that helps the amp in the trunk. Or you mean since you used the stock radio, ok I think I get what you mean. I have a JVC HU with rca outputs. How did you run the wire to the trunk? I imagine under the carpet then under the rear seat to the trunk.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM

My X is an '06 with the premium audio (or what Jag thinks is premium).

The feed from the HU runs to a factory AMP in the trunk. I cut the "in" wires for both front doors (Left - Blue/Green, Right - Brown/Yellow) and ran them into a line level converter to RCA's.

I ran the RCA's to the new AMP, then ran the door speakers and spliced into the "out" side of the factory AMP, thus going directly to the door speakers.

I don't have the CD changer, so being that the AMP I used isn't ridiculously over powered, I used the contant and switched power from the harness that would power the CD changer if it was there, and grounded directly to the car.

The harness for the CD changer can handle the 20 AMPs needed for the Jensen AMP.

Hope this helps!!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this sounds good

Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM

So like I said before I changed the front door speakers to MB Quarts and my HU to a JVC with ipod control and built in HD radio. My biggest improvement seemed to be after changing rear door speakers. I used Pioneer 3 way 6.5 inch. They are only 35w rms, but they have a much fuller sound than even the MB Quarts. I think since they are actually a woofer mid and tweeter versus just a mid and tweeter. If I had to do all over I would probably put pioneers in the front doors unless I end up getting an amp.
________
VAPORIZER INFO

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_Jag
I replaced my 4 door speakers last week. The max depth without spacers is 4"...there's lots of room back there.

The stock ones are mounted with only 3 screws and the pattern of most replacements are 4 screws, so I had to drill...no big deal.

I bought 6.5" Polk's from Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...aker&cp=1&lp=5

I added some cheap (but still better than stock) Sony 6.5" speakers in the rear doors simply for fill, and I set the stereo to the "Front" mode. http://www.target.com/Sony-XSR1643-6...n&frombrowse=0

Probably the best speaker swap I've done in any of the car's I've owned, and all for less than $250!
Hmm, so if I read this correctly, you could then add an additional 2 channel amp and run more power to the rear speakers as well.

Is the factory amp still powering the sub and the tweeters or did you just bypass them? Were the Polk coaxial?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM

I wonder if there is room under the passenger seat to put a small 4 channel amp. Then I can easily run rca wire to the amp from my jvc hu then connect right back into the 4 sets of door speakers. I can probably run wire to the trunk too. That will be when I have a lot of free time.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrimerman
I wonder if there is room under the passenger seat to put a small 4 channel amp. Then I can easily run rca wire to the amp from my jvc hu then connect right back into the 4 sets of door speakers. I can probably run wire to the trunk too. That will be when I have a lot of free time.
I've got the 8 way power seat over there so the motor takes up all the space. Besides, the am gets pretty hot. I prefer to mount it where there is at least some airflow.