XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fan under hood running after shut down

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fan under hood running after shut down

So I'm driving my 2009 XF home from work tonight and I pull into my parking space at my apartment. I notice that the fan under the hood sounds a little louder than usual. Didn't really think much of it.

So I shut off the car and the fan is still going rather loudly. I'm standing there outside of the car and the fan just wouldn't shut down and sounded a little louder then normal. Almost like it was cranking at full speed or something. I've honestly never noticed this fan staying on after I've shut down the engine over the 6 years I've owned the car.

About 5 minutes later it's still going and I think to myself " I need to disconnect the battery or this things never gonna stop". So I rip the subwoofer out of my trunk so I can access the battery and then suddenly the fan stops right before I got to the battery.

It's dark and I didn't start it back up. I figured I'd wait until tomorrow and see what happens when the suns up.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this? I'm hoping it's nothing major because every time I go to the dealer I get financially raped for one thing or another.

The car only has about 35k miles on it and it's been pampered rather well.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Mine has always shut down with the key.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:58 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

If the engine temperature is higher than normal, the fan will continue to run after you shut the key off. But I suspect that if you did not get a warning light on your dash, then you might have a problem with the temperature sensor located next to your thermostat. However, it could possibly even be a defective fan control module located on the fan assembly. I would try replacing the sensor first since it is pretty inexpensive of a fix.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I'd check ECT (coolant temp) - you can use any OBD tool. Sounds to be too hot, which could be bad sensor or thermostat (or wiring).

Old 03-07-2015, 04:04 PM

The temperature sensor or ECT is a cheap try. I would change that and then see if that fixes the problem. You can buy cheap a ECT from RockAuto Parts Catalog

Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo954
So I'm driving my 2009 XF home from work tonight and I pull into my parking space at my apartment. I notice that the fan under the hood sounds a little louder than usual. Didn't really think much of it.

So I shut off the car and the fan is still going rather loudly. I'm standing there outside of the car and the fan just wouldn't shut down and sounded a little louder then normal. Almost like it was cranking at full speed or something. I've honestly never noticed this fan staying on after I've shut down the engine over the 6 years I've owned the car.

About 5 minutes later it's still going and I think to myself " I need to disconnect the battery or this things never gonna stop". So I rip the subwoofer out of my trunk so I can access the battery and then suddenly the fan stops right before I got to the battery.

It's dark and I didn't start it back up. I figured I'd wait until tomorrow and see what happens when the suns up.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this? I'm hoping it's nothing major because every time I go to the dealer I get financially raped for one thing or another.

The car only has about 35k miles on it and it's been pampered rather well.
I had the exact same issue, I first noticed the fan running after I shut the engine off. The temp is higher than normal.
This went on for a few months then I started getting "engine temp high" warning light at prolonged stops, this went on for a few months until it began over heating. My thermostat housing broke around the thermostat and this causes a flow problem. The new housing comes with a new thermostat and it will need to be changed. From what I understand this is a common issue.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm getting a slight coolant smell and my local mechanic found a faint weep at the housing. Mine is still under warranty (select) and when I had the dealer check it he said jaguar wouldn't replace it until it actually breaks. Even though he can clearly see evidence.
Just what I want. Something like this to blue while driving. And I'm 12k miles away from warranty ending.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me on my '09 XF too, they swapped out the sensor (under warranty). It stopped for a bit, but then it eventually came back after replaced. I'm in Cali, hot here, but didn't alway happen in heat. Fan would go off after a few minutes, so I lived with it, seemed common. Sold that car a few days ago for a '12.

Last edited by D-Lif; 03-16-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I haven't noticed anyone here bringing up the bulitin from Jaguar about reprograming the fan on the early models. There has been overheating issues so my dealer reprogrammed the fan and it comes on much more now. Especially when stopped. He said there wouldn't be a charge because it was a noted issue.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:13 AM

That is the first that I have heard of that. I will try to find the service bulletin regarding the programming of the fan.