XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Retrofit android auto/carplay functionality

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Retrofit android auto/carplay functionality

I've been pondering options for getting more features from my phone integrated into my car, mostly so I can benefit from google directions rather than the increasingly obsolete onboard maps. Given that I can't just whack in a new head unit without losing some key vehicle functionality (e.g. heated steering wheel), I think my options are as follows:
- buy a £1.99 phone holder off ebay and live with the slight windshield clutter
- add a video input to the existing screen, e.g. something like https://www.navtool.com/jaguar-xf-20...interface.aspx
- do it properly by integrating an Android OS on a computer that's accessible through the touchscreen, which could act as an android auto receiver (or even run google maps directly). Something like https://jaguar.willcoxonline.com/home

The last option seems the most fun, but I don't know how feasible it'd be for the XF. Has anyone tried to do something like the JagDroid setup for the XF?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested as well if anyone has a solution. 2011 XFR

Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm working on one, though it's not the highest priority. I'm probably going the route of replacing the in-car screen with the screen and innards from a universal android unit and building an app to replace the functions of the factory screen (e.g. controlling AC and heated seats). Depending on what in-car android unit I cannibalize, some already have CANBUS interfaces with android driver support, or if not I'll get an external interface and plug it into the USB. I'll probably look at modifying the bezel surrounding the factory screen so that it will take a bigger one.

Certainly not a job for the faint of heart but I'll update here if I make any progress...

The following users liked this post:
mrNewt (05-03-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do I hate the factory stereo

Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
I'm working on one, though it's not the highest priority. I'm probably going the route of replacing the in-car screen with the screen and innards from a universal android unit and building an app to replace the functions of the factory screen (e.g. controlling AC and heated seats). Depending on what in-car android unit I cannibalize, some already have CANBUS interfaces with android driver support, or if not I'll get an external interface and plug it into the USB. I'll probably look at modifying the bezel surrounding the factory screen so that it will take a bigger one.

Certainly not a job for the faint of heart but I'll update here if I make any progress...
I hadn't thought about the 'make an app' idea: that would be great if it could be pulled off, because with an app it could presumably free up people's choice of replacement android unit. Where would be the best place to find relevant information about how the jag system talks to the rest of the car (i.e. what signals get sent down the bus and where)? I've got the workshop manual (not too useful) and electrical wiring diagrams (more useful) as a starting point...

Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...uar-xf-217412/

anyone wants to jump on then let me know

Also I believe the can part is the least of your worries, the issue will be the MOST network, if you want to use the standard amp. There are close to 0 details on how to interface with this, so im torn at the moment do I make the screen sit in front of the original, and utilise the aux port, or other option fit an aftermarket amp, which in itself is a job and a half as the bowers and wilkins speakers are all fed seperate from the amp (lows, mids, tweeters etc)

main issue with sitting it in front of the original screen, is that most messages are periodic and not toggle. So every x ms a message gets sent out saying "heated seats off" for example, if you control the seats over can, that means that module will get conflicting messages on -> off -> on -> off

Last edited by Rhys Morgan; 05-09-2019 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhys Morgan
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...uar-xf-217412/

anyone wants to jump on then let me know

Also I believe the can part is the least of your worries, the issue will be the MOST network, if you want to use the standard amp. There are close to 0 details on how to interface with this, so im torn at the moment do I make the screen sit in front of the original, and utilise the aux port, or other option fit an aftermarket amp, which in itself is a job and a half as the bowers and wilkins speakers are all fed seperate from the amp (lows, mids, tweeters etc)

main issue with sitting it in front of the original screen, is that most messages are periodic and not toggle. So every x ms a message gets sent out saying "heated seats off" for example, if you control the seats over can, that means that module will get conflicting messages on -> off -> on -> off
Very nice work! I'll definitely jump in to the other thread.

I'd stick with the B&W system and amp and use the MOST network, there are interfaces available to do this, albeit not the cheapest. There are also interfaces that apparently allow video and touchscreen integration.

Last edited by davetibbs; 05-09-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's annoying that I could just drop such a head unit in to an older car while I have to retain this screen on my XF to control everything.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Very nice work! I'll definitely jump in to the other thread.

There are also interfaces that apparently allow video and touchscreen integration.
Agree on jumping into the other thread. If Cambo makes the modified OS available, I think you'd be better served.

Regarding the GVIF Touchscreen integration, been there, done that. See this thread, videos on post 34 and 44.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-194608/page2/

I have since moved away from it and only use it to display coolant temps and voltage. I can pull up anything using a mouse of course, which is fine if you want to set a destination on google maps before you take your car out of park but just plain idiotic to use a mouse while driving.
While everything works with voice control, I still found the touchscreen to be too slow in the long run and not worth the overall effort but all the information is in there is you're interested. You can incorporate Android auto this way.

Car Solutions, providers of the GVIF box, also recently came out with device that mirrors your phone on the screen so if you have Android Auto on your phone, it will work. I tried this using chromecast and while it works, think about what you need to do each and every time you want to use it. You have to run mirrorcast from your phone. That is slow and I found it to be a good idea in theory but years away from being useful. Now if there was an app that you could just say "Cast my phone to my Jaguar screen", then you'd have something. But going into settings to cast your phone each time? Waste of time, for me anyway.

Ultimately, speed is your friend and these solutions require too much time with eyes off the road imo.

The gent I was going back and forth with on that thread ultimately built an RPI version. I like this solution because it uses a knob. Buttons and knobs are our friends. All of us can learn them without having to look at them and take your eyes off the road. You can view it here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roller-218034/

All good stuff but the benefit of Cambo's work historically with his retrofits is that they all retain the OEM look and feel. My two cents.