XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2013 showing issues after all these years

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XF 2013 showing issues after all these years

Hello Guys,

Have a 2013 Jaguar XF 2.0 UAE spec. Have driven about 80000 km. Never had a major issue other than rear left glass pane of window falling down and brake pad replacement.

Use this as my daily driver to work. Have it parked in a non shaded place for 10 hrs daily.

Issues are
  1. AC cools sometimes and doesn’t sometimes. I literally sweat if I do not open the windows
  2. Headliner has sagged half way down.

Called in the official dealer and his response was rude...” Jags are meant to be parked in shade all the time.” Charging me an arm and leg for headliner replacement job.
still haven’t checked about the AC.

Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Nigwel1058 (06-26-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiv
Hello Guys,

Have a 2013 Jaguar XF 2.0 UAE spec. Have driven about 80000 km. Never had a major issue other than rear left glass pane of window falling down and brake pad replacement.

Use this as my daily driver to work. Have it parked in a non shaded place for 10 hrs daily.

Issues are
  1. AC cools sometimes and doesn’t sometimes. I literally sweat if I do not open the windows

Called in the official dealer and his response was rude...” Jags are meant to be parked in shade all the time.” Charging me an arm and leg for headliner replacement job.

Thanks in advance.
I would have the AC recharged first, that can be done cheaply anywhere.

If you are diy guy you can take apart the roof and glue back the liner.

Getting you car in parked in a shaded place or better in a garage is actually a good a idea, there are many things that wear out in under sunlight.

I have mine inside a closed garage.

Shiv (06-11-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 674 Posts

Called in the official dealer and his response was rude...” Jags are meant to be parked in shade all the time.”
Here in Texas, all cars deteriorate rapidly in the sun, whether its a Jaguar or a Honda, but Jaguar's luxury materials are even more susceptible and far more expensive to replace. I'm going to lose my parking garage at work when my employer moves to a different building next Fall and I'm seriously considering trading the XF for some kind of "beater" because I know the XF's already ten year old leather dash would shrivel up like a raisin pretty quickly and the alcantara headliner would likely come loose too. Plus the leather seats, the dark colored paint, etc.

But you should get some quotes from local auto upholstery shops for a headliner. Here in Texas at least, they've got headliner replacement down to a science and there's some pretty good competition for the business. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how cheaply you can get it done.

The following 2 users liked this post by pdupler:
Nigwel1058 (06-26-2021), Shiv (06-11-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

I agree. I am also in Texas and it does not matter what brand of car you have the headliners take a beating. But the good part is we have many shops that can quickly fix your headliner. I am surprised in a hot area like the UAE that you don't have local upholstery shops that can do the same?

Kind of the same with AC? I would avoid the dealer as the Jaguar AC is really no different than many other cars. But if it needs a recharge you probably have a leak somewhere so it's better to find the leak and get it fixed.
My 2014 XJR blows ice cubes on the hottest days so they did design it right!

Last edited by clubairth1; 03-25-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Shiv (06-11-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:40 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

If that is the entirety of the problems since new then you are doing quite well actually. Forget dealers here outside of warranty or service contract, it's straight robbery. You want to find a reputable repair shop in Al Quoz for reasonable rates, but there is no getting around the profiteering on part prices. Most will allow you to bring your own parts, but then crank up the labor rates to compensate. Make sure they understand finding the A/C leak and repair and not just refilling. Mine blows super cold and is one of the reasons why I keep this clunker. I'm in AD so I can't recommend anyone, service is garbage-tier here all around so it will be trial and error anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dubai/comme...hops_in_dubai/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dubai/comme...ervice_centre/

Also get rid of the car before 100k kilometers. If you think what you got so far is bad, you are in for a quite a ride after that.

Shiv (06-11-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 05:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC Problem

Hello Guys,

Issues are

Thanks in advance.
You can buy a cylinder of AC gas for around $100 at a guesstimate and dose about 3-5 charges (perhaps you have friends who will share in the cost of it and top up their own AC as well), and it's relatively easy to top up, thanks to you tube, or perhaps this forum has it explained also.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

You can but it's a short term fix. There is a reason it stopped working and that's because it has a leak. Use a Freon sniffer tool to find the leak and get it fixed.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

A very common issue that affects mostly every Jaguar 2012 and newer is the A/C Compressor Control Valve.
Jaguars that are 2012 and newer are equipped with a Sanden PXC16.
If you decide to take it to the dealer, they’ll want to replace the whole compressor for big $$$
These valves can run for anywhere between $20-$50, they’re very common due to the same compressor being used in multiple makes and models.
Volvo, Hyundai, GM, & more
The service manual recommends the removal of the complete compressor, I didn’t have to remove the compressor.
I loosened the mounting bolts and turned it enough to get access to the snap ring that holds sensor in place.
Here is a link to an official TSB issues from JLR
https://jlr.oemdtc.com/69/inadequate...10-2016-jaguar
Here is a link to the Compressor Control Valve
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264787958253

The following 2 users liked this post by Swilmer52:
Shiv (06-11-2021), SunFlower (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Here is the updated TSB if your interested.
Does not seem to be much different but this is V7 and supersedes the 25 July 2016 one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00380v7-Jaguar Aircon TSB.pdf (293.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is a silly question, but did you have to empty the coolant from the system to replace that valve? Seems like that would be in the pressurized part of the system.

My valve is intermittently working, and I'd like to replace it myself.

Originally Posted by Swilmer52
A very common issue that affects mostly every Jaguar 2012 and newer is the A/C Compressor Control Valve.
If you decide to take it to the dealer, they’ll want to replace the whole compressor for big $$$
These valves can run for anywhere between $20-$50, they’re very common due to the same compressor being used in multiple makes and models.
The service manual recommends the removal of the complete compressor, I didn’t have to remove the compressor.
I loosened the mounting bolts and turned it enough to get access to the snap ring that holds sensor in place.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:27 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Swilmer52
This is exactly what the dealer had to replace on mine when I purchased it almost two years ago. AC was not blowing cold air during test drive and they committed to fixing it before purchase. I recall them having to remove dash chasing down the problem but it turned out to be the control valve on the compressor. Easy fix (for them) without having to remove compressor. AC puts out very cold air ever since.

Shiv (06-11-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 03:57 AM
Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry to hear about your troubles, but with regards the AC leak, I struggled to get the dealer to pick up a leak and they kept regassing the darn thing. After I threw a bitch-fit in their reception area and the service manager and quality manager came trotting out to calm me down, they kept the car for 2 days only to find that the valve where you regas the the AC was leaking. They put some oil over the valve and tiny bubbles started appearing. They replaced the entire AC line (large metal hose on the fight side of the engine bay if you're standing in front of the car looking at the engine) and the AC blew nice and cold without issues after that.

Shiv (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 04:59 AM

Sorry for the late reply guys. I really appreciate all the inputs. Jag is resting since this issue cropped up.

Things that I have done since.
  1. Took it to the workshop to get the refrigerant vacuumed out, filled in with new refrigerant and the issue persists.
  2. The mechanic says that the compressor is not developing enough pressure to push the Freon through.
  3. Noticed that the main fan does not run even when AC is turned on. Thought this might cause the AC to not cool. The engine temps were normal. When throttle was constantly pushed for a couple of minutes, the engine fan started auto.
  4. Hooked the car up to an OBD2 scanner at the workshop and cleared all old codes. Strangely no code reported for AC or fan issue. Issue persists.
Same workshop charging an arm and leg for compressor and labor as they get the parts directly from the dealer in UAE. Got a good offer on Sanden compressor for Jaguar from another parts store. Planning to get that installed. Checking for a suitable garage that does not rip off and cause other issue during the process
Strangely the AC works for 5-10 min mildly when first taken out but then stops. Begs me to reason, if the compressor is faulty, how could it work for a little while?

From the replies, I don't know if its the solenoid valve that is faulty or if its the compressor.

Thnx,
Shiv

SunFlower (06-11-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 12:14 AM

End end up changing the compressor, condenser and the expansion valve.
AC now cool.

Replaced old compressor with Sanden

Replaced old expansion valve with aftermarket one. Old one was dirty.

Kerbin (07-30-2021)