XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cruise Not Available

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Cruise Not Available

It looks like I will be looking at the Cruise Not Available messages in the morning for the next few days. I'll run my car for a few miles and then restart to get cruise control back on line. Lows in the low two digits or single digits. Thank God for the seat heaters and heated steering wheel. In the DC area we are looking at record lows for this time of year. At least no snow for now.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Red face

Do a voltage drop check on your battery, chances are pretty good it,s in need of a replacement, mine was. The new to me 07 V P did the same thing when first started, battery was weak. As of yet it has not did it since, but have not had it all that long, to tell for sure, but indications seem to be encouraging so far.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When this happened to me, it was an indication the battery was weak. Changing the battery solved the issue.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Check Brake peddle switch. on X308 it usually the problem

Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Electrical 'funnies' that occur after starting first thing in the morning, but then disappear if you switch off and restart after even just a few minutes or a few hundred yards are a good indication of a battery getting near its end.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

I agree with the comments about replacing the battery as a cure for this problem.

I’ve been having the same “Cruise Not Available” issue for about 6 months. Everything was fine if I drove the car every day (except on cold mornings). If I left it a couple of days between drives, I had to go through the “wait - turn it off - start it again” routine to clear the warning. (Inner voice: But new batteries are expensive, everybody on the forum says so!).

So, for months, I followed the threads about replacing batteries. (Inner voice: What’s the hurry? It’s summer now, it’s not a problem every morning). I did my research and got prices for suitable alternatives (as you do). This week I went against all my natural insincts, and called the local Jaguar dealer (Inner voice: !!!!!). I found that an “Original Jaguar” battery was going to cost less than 2/3 the price of the other alternative I could get locally (Varta).... I didn’t expect that!

.... The new battery went in Yesterday.

Summing up:
- The Cruise Unavailable warning was a hassle, but I delayed buying a new battery.
- The old battery had given me and the previous owner 9 years of service, but still, I delayed buying a new one.
- A new battery ended up costing less than 2 tanks full of fuel, but I had delayed buying a new one.
- The new battery has solved the Cruise Unavailable problem... and also gotten rid of the yellowish tinge on the Nav screen.... and the car kicks into life faster...... WHY DID I DELAY FOR 6 MONTHS BEFORE BUYING A NEW BATTERY????? (Note to my inner voice: Caps on, because I’m shouting at you for being so STOOPID!)

Good luck with the battery.

Last edited by Davidrnz; 01-13-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typing errors fixed
The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

"I found that an “Origial Jaguar” battery was going to cost less than 2/3 the price of the other alternative I could get locally (Varta)..."

Strange since Jaguar batteries are Varta.(or used to be)

How much for a Varta in NZ? They are $300 here.

Conclusion: You're tight (like me). lol

Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Varta battery was quoted as $NZ460, the “Jaguar” battery list price was about $NZ285 (both including GST/sales tax).
Lesson: Shop around, but don’t always assume that the local franchised dealer will screw you.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts
Wink

Deka was $136.41, + old battery, then with tax $145.61 out the door, gotta pay the gov. his pound of flesh.Deka is 900 C C A, the Jaguar battery was more money, even with my shop discount. Have had nothing but great battery's from Deka, for all my bikes, & cars, as well as all the people that i've sent there for theirs. My discount at the dealer is twice as much as the Deka place, and still more money. Most of them from Deka last at least seven years, with some replaced after ten, just because of their age, not from any problems,SO FAR, but ten years on a bike, or any battery is outstanding to say the least.