XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Transponder programming via dealer?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transponder programming via dealer?

I have an XJ8L 2007. There seems to be many viewpoints on programming the transponder for Jaguar? I know others have said third-party locksmith can do this. However I am a little scared of going that route because I only have one functioning key. I have decided to bite the bullet and go to the dealer and have them program a second key. I have bought a new key from the dealer and they have sent it to the dealer pre-cut? My question is, through the process of the dealer programming these transponders are both going to work (as long as their life time span) or will one key stop functioning before the other. I have read stories that if not programmed correctly one may eventually quit working.? I understand from research that they program the key to match the car and not program the current system to match the key? In other words their program the key so the security system recognizes that key? I’m assuming this is all done within the security system of the vehicle? I’ve been told by the dealer that this should take an hour? Could someone please clarify my concerns.
1 Key programmed so the car security system recognizes the key?
2. Both keys should last there natural life and not quit unexpectedly early?
3 should this program take more than an hour, or less?
4 The keys from the dealership are pre-cut?
*A much thank you ahead of time and I appreciate all your time. I’m scheduled to see the dealer tomorrow May 1, 2019. I hope I get some clarification before tomorrow. Thanks again , Rich

Old 05-01-2019, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

To be clear ... it isn't the key that has to be programmed, it's the car.

'Programming a key' is registering the i/d number in the key's transponder, or the key's remote chip, into the car's system.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:26 AM

Thank you so much for responding. That clears up a lot of questions. So I’m thinking each key has it’s own individual electric/magnetic type chip and the programming is “the car” security ignition system learns the ID of each key and registers it in its memory for those keys? Last question, if both of these keys ( my original and the second key I just bought from dealer) are working properly. Can later, I bought a new key and fop unit (uncut) from the internet ( has not arrived yet ), can that one key also be programmed at a later time or do all 3 have to be re programmed at the same time into the car?

Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

If you look in 'X350 How To' in the 'Sticky' section at the top of the subforum there is a trio of posts about key fobs.

But again, to be clear ... a key fob has two entirely separate electronic components both of which have to be registered to the car.

The first is the transponder which has nothing to do with remote access. It's like the I/D microchip that can be injected into a cat or dog's scruff. It's powered by induction from a coil which surrounds the ingnition lock. It simply acts as a very short range electronic ignition key and without it, or with one not registered to the car, the mechanical key will not start the car; all the instrument lights come on but turning the key to 'start' does nothing.

The second (not called the transponder) is the battery powered remote access chip which communicates the various remote access fob buttons, over several hundred yards, to the car. This part also has to be registered to the car.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 05-01-2019 at 09:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Partick the Cat:
motorcarman (05-01-2019), wwr (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Yes, that I know. Thank you. Was wondering about programming the chip transponders. The fob are easy to program. So can I have the third key chip ( transponder ) programmed later if I chose to or would I have to program all 3 transponder chips at the same time? Basically can I program a third key transponder at any time ?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

As I understand it up to a further three or four fobs (ie both the transponder chip and the remote access chip) can be registered to the car without using a computer and lead (ie 'dealer software') if there are two fobs available that are already registered to the car.

The procedure for doing that is in the sticky I referred to in my previous post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20085/

However, if only one registered fob is available then, as I understand it, a second transponder can only be registered using dealer software.

(I believe that it's still possible to register the remote access chip with only one good fob available, but without being able to register the transponder chip as well that would seem a bit pointless).

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 05-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Key transponders need to be configured all at the same time.

"WARNING, ALL KEY TRANSPONDERS NEED TO BE PRESENT, KEYS NOT PRESENT WILL BE DELETED, DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?"
This warning will appear on the screen for transponder configuration.

bob

Old 05-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys. Got both done in about 40 minutes.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

You can now do others yourself, two is the key to do another.
Acquire at least a third and put it away, just in case you lose one.
You can just pay to have a new one cut, then program it yourself
You can have up to eight keys to start your car.
Having a new code programmed into the car.
Keeps anyone previously having a key, from starting the car.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:37 PM

Ok, thank you.
Breakdown of only one key xj8L reprogramming with one new key cut.
Key $233.00
Transmitter (bottom part of fob) $197.00
Clear all previous keys and program both keys to car. $149.00

Total. $579.00
I do understand and appreciate others feedback on dealer doing this procedure versus oneself. As I have come to learn to research and your wisdom, it seems that you have to go this route when you only have one key.. Nevertheless I just felt being roughly 5 hours away from any Jaguar dealer in Florida and the car is now in Tucson that it would be smarter to just have this done by the dealer here while I’m here and now. My next challenge is to find a private car carrier to ship the car back to florida. I have looked and search the forum here and got some ideas. I had shipped my Mercedes from Tucson to florida 4 years ago but not knowing I was going to buy this car I was not able to have his information with me, dam! UShip would not let me contact him directly. That shipper did a great job, Chase 313. I’m to the point of just renting a budget truck and car trailer and driving myself. I may be seeking the form on the best way to secure the XJ8 to the trailer, obviously not by the front steering control arms or shocks.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Car trailer needs to have tire tie-downs (strap netting) like on a flatbed tow truck. These go around the tire.They usually use 2 (on opposite corners), but i would use 4 for the long hall.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

As usual, Jaguar issued a TSB (the ones nobody reads) for transporting X350 cars.

bob

Attached Files