XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X358 '06 XJR rear park aid doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X358 '06 XJR rear park aid doesn't work

Park assist worked 2 months ago, Fr and Rear. now just front. I started a thread on it late November ish. Now the holidays are over and I have time to get back to this. Also Santa brought me a Foxwell NT 510 Scanner (reccomended by folks here). It says circuit failure on all 4 sensors.
Apparently its not the parking aid mod, as I thought. Does this mean all 4 sensors need to be replaced? Or could it be a connection to the PAM? I will need some "how to help" either way. Including taking bumper off if needed.
Last, is there a place on this site that gives more detail as to what the DTC codes mean, like the sensors are C1700 C1703 C1706 and C1709. If not here, then what web site do you use to decode the DTC codes?
Be gentle, I'm very new to this sort of semi modern Jag. I'm used to the ones that had the "luxury of roll up windows". Thanks

Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Check ground to rear sensors

The following users liked this post:
JeffJag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Any water in the wheel well?

The plug into the module is sustantial but remove and inspect pins.

Plug and unplug a couple of times.

JeffJag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Agree with both abonano and meriion1 - check the ground and check for water ingress into the trunk/boot where the spare wheel sits. If water has gotten in, odds are there is some corrosion on the connector as it sits quite low.

Also - if the bumper cover has been taken off, check the connector in the wheel well - I believe RH side, could be loose/corroded, etc...

As for your codes - usually you can just google them, it will come up. Some of us have access to Topix, such as myself.

I've attached a copy of the codes you mentioned - They are all related to your park aid issue.

Let us know what you find

Attached Thumbnails X358 '06 XJR rear park aid doesn't work-park-aid-codes.png   X358 '06 XJR rear park aid doesn't work-park-aid-codes-.png  
JeffJag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Here is where I am now. Spare is out, lift off Styrofoam in center floor. Find bomb. Realize not bomb but part of air sus/CATS. Trunk, everywhere, is bone dry. What I think is/are the park assist mod(s) are mounted to the left side rear of spare opening. This is a LHD car. One mod is mounted on top of the other, bigger one. The smaller top mod has 2 plug connections coming out of bottom. The larger #s read 5W93-1560-CB with SIEMENS VOD below the number. Farther down I saw in small print TX FCC ID followed by a long number. Under the Jag logo was the # 5WK4 5057B T835A.
The larger mod has one plug connection (that I can see) also from bottom. All I can see is a Jag logo and 8CH put right on the mod, not on a label.
The ground connection to both of these is clean and dry.
Before I start to dc the battery, unplugging cleaning etc., I figured I'd ask you If I'm looking at the right thing. This '06 XJR has been garage kept and has 35K miles, I am the 3rd owner since Sept '17. Everything I see looks brand new, just a bit dusty.
So should I proceed with that, or start looking for something else?
Thanks again
tHE LARGER mOD HAS 1

Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I would start by having the codes read. Jaguar specific codes are tripped when the park aid sensors fail. Could be as simple as a bad rear speaker connection. The module is in the boot basically in front of the middle left rear sensor. Codes will lead you in the right direction.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Do you get a solid tone coming from the speaker for rear park aid? This is the indicator you have an issue with the park aid, a solid tone. There will be 2 speakers, 1 for front and 1 for rear. Speaker for rear could be at fault, but if you're getting codes for sensors, odds are it's something else.
You said that you were sure it wasn't the module - did you swap it with another one? How did you verify the module wasn't faulty?

One way to make sure the sensors are working - take a stethoscope, take the metal rod out, placing the end of the hose over the end of each sensor. Someone will need to be in the car ( recommended ) while car is in reverse. You should hear a high pitched clicking sound ( sonar ) which means the sensor is working. If you come across one or more that aren't clicking, then you've got a faulty sensor, or a wiring issue somewhere.

I've attached the wiring diagram for park aid system - 1st page will be connectors and module locations, etc, 2nd is actual diagram

Attached Thumbnails X358 '06 XJR rear park aid doesn't work-xjrparkaid1.png   X358 '06 XJR rear park aid doesn't work-xjrparkaid.png  
Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Judging from the diagram posted by Sean W, I know which box is the PAM. It is mounted on the lower left spare well; below and to the rear of the cd/ nav dvd enclosure, not along the rear. Go figure. Only box along the rear has 2 heavy cables going straight to battery.
According to the diagram JbzXJ40 posted, the center of diagram is PAM. Another box, towards the top right says rear electronic mod. There are 2 connection coming from it on diagram, and 2 multi pin connectors coming out box mounted on PAM (see earlier in thread). So that must be rear electronic mod. I'll disconnect battery and pull plugs on both apart a few times, see if anything needs cleaning.
So, yes a horn sound steady for 5 secs or so when put in reverse. Yes I have 4 codes. One for each rear sensor. All codes say is is short or sensor failure (see code numbers earlier in thread). I hear nothing from all 4. This worked when I got car in Sept. The odds of all 4 failing in the same month seems long to me. The only reason I said it wasn't the PAM was because no code came up saying something about PAM. Just the 4 sensors. Is my logic sound? or am I way off base?

Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

I would think (but don't know for certain) that you'd see a module error. Yes you have common connection points @ the module plug CR52, also along the RW wire and the BG wire. Those 3 points are where I'd look first. Here's a better pic:

Last edited by Sean W; 01-15-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 PM

Ok, the weather finally let me try the ideas on this thread.Disconnected battery. Dis connected Park Assist Module and inspect connection points. All clean, like new. Connect and disconnect six times in case there's some film etc.. Ground couldn't be cleaner or tighter. Put it together and get same result; red light on over head console and 5 sec horn when put in reverse. Forward park assist works fine. I do not have or now much about using a multi meter to check RW and BG wire seen in diagram from JBzXJ40.
I'm thinking of buying a used PAM on eBay for $20-30 and see what happens. If that ain't it sell it on eBay lol. Any other ideas folks?

Old 01-31-2018, 06:17 PM

Ok, got a guaranteed to work PAM when I noticed it's a 4 channel. I concentrated on the serial numbers so much, I over looked that mine is 8 ch. Gave it a try anyway with same result. Put the original mod back in and and connected all parts moved for access, and out of frustration gave any connector I saw in trunk/spare wheel well a good push and twist, and left disheartened. Today, it worked perfectly. All day. Kept checking with a mad, Renfield-like chuckle.
So I guess it was either the 7-8th time I disconnected/reconnected the module or just checking (pushing/ pulling/twisting, but not disconnect reconnect) any plugs I saw. Mostly to the right and rear of battery. The red light is off on the overhead console as well. Will clear codes with scanner and see what it says tomorrow. I have/ had a date set with a friend who has a multimeter (and knows how to use it) to check wiring from diagrams provided to me in this thread.
Thank you all for your help and thoughts!
Jeffjag

Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

So it sounds like twisting and fiddling got it to work? I'm not sure if I'm understanding your post. If that's the case -

2 likely culprits are corrosion. It's surprisingly crappy behind that bumper cover. Disconnecting, clean and add some dielectric grease should fix it. Use the proper electronic parts cleaner (stuff made for circuit boards will work.)

The second would be an actual short to ground. Again, this would be caused by corrosion.

Pull the back bumper cover and check em all. You won't get at them sufficiently from the trunk. I couldn't tell from your posts if you did remove the bumper cover, so sorry if you did. If not, it takes about 30 minutes and is easier with 2 people.