XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Installing JTIS in XP mode using Windows Vista

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,619 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Installing JTIS in XP mode using Windows Vista

Hi
I have been trying to find how to get JTIS installed and working in windows Vista operating system.

Has anyone tried to install it and run it by using the XP mode feature in Vista?

Here are the instructions I found on the internet:
"Right click on the program file (the .EXE or .COM file).
In properties, click on the Compatability tab.
Check 'run this program in compatability mode for' and select Windows XP in the drop down menu.

Also at the bottom of the compatability tab, check 'run this program as administrator'."

We have 2 desktop PCs with XP so I am not able to do any testing to see if this does works properly.
Please post your findings after you try using these instructions.

Jim Lombardi

Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

I use JTIS on Vista 32bit - no problem, so no need to hassle with a "downgrade" to XP.

*edit*
There's a long long thread on where to download and how to install JTIS on Vista somewhere on this board.
I just read through the whole 20some pages and followed the instructions step by step.
JTIS works w/o any problem!

Last edited by DavidN; 04-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's the route I followed.
(Back then I just copy and pasted the postings that I thought to be useful prior to my installation.)

JTIS Install on Vista

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Down load CD1 and unzip with win rar from c-net downloads.
Downloaded file should be 470,279KB.

Double click on SETUP instal and restart your computer.
Alternativ: Right click on SETUP then select run as administrator.

Remove the tick from the odbc direct file when instaling.

Then go to dao35/DISC1
Double click SETUP and instal that and youve instaled the JTIS application.
Go to stat menu/all programs scrol down and find JTIS
Click to open it then right click on the black square and send it to desktop
Go back to your desktop and double click on the JTIS Icon
It will open and ask you to insert the disc.
When youve dounloaded zip2 burn the files to disc and use that.
By the way, theres a SETUP in the READERGB file but dont worry about that, its only adobe reader and modern computers have a more up to date version ayway. JTIS

then once instaled, you may need to download and instal WINDOWS HELP FILE 6.0-KB917607-x86.msu to get the help program within jtis to work, but i assure you it does work

The JTIS downloads that supersport linked worked great, I could not load it from my computer as a virtual machine, but once I 'burned' the disc, then installed the program everything worked great. If you don't need the XJS repair manual, skip Disc 2 and all the other .rar files with it, and only download the Disc 1 files.

I wanted to thank everyone for posting the links to JTIS, but I also wanted to share a problem I had installing it and give the solution for anyone else who is getting the same error.

I installed JTIS on my laptop with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and everything seemed to install properly. When I started JTIS it would start alright, and some of the functions would work (What's New, Help, etc), but any of the useful functions like 'Service', 'DTC' etc would cause the program to lock up and I would get an error saying "MFC Application Error" and then the program would close.

To fix the problem you have install 'DAO', some old Microsoft database module. Fortunately, Jaguar included this on the JTIS CDs, so you don't have to go searching for it. In Windows Explorer go the CD, go to the 'dao35' directory and the the 'Disk1' directory. You will see a list of file, double click on the 'Setup.exe' file. This will install the missing program.

You'll probaby have to restart your computer, but JTIS should work properly now.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
One of the reasons I started this thread is because other members are still having a problem with getting JTIS working with their Vista operating system.
Here is SirJag email to me on this subject.
Installation worked, but whenever I try to click on any of the buttons at the top (except “NEW” or “HELP”), I get the following error:

Installing JTIS in XP mode using Windows Vista-jjtis-mfc-error.jpg

I’m running Vista.
Any ideas on what I could try?

The JTIS CD is a copy of my CD disk and it did install properly when I tested it on my wife PC with XP before I mailed it to SirJag.

Would be nice if someone who knows the steps to do a simple install of JTIS on to a PC that is operating Vista 32 bit windows would list them here in this thread.

It seems that forum member EZfan has been able to get installed on Vista 32 bit system:
"My JTIS copy which I downloaded from Christo works great with wins xp, Vista Business 32 bits and wins 7 professional 32 bits"

I sent this private message to EZfan this morning:
Did you use the XP mode? (in Vista)
I am interested to find out what steps you took to get JTIS installed and running in the Vista operating system.

I also asks him to post his reply in this thread.
Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-06-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default Here is a DIY I created for JTIS Install & How to use it

Hi
I move this posting to its own new thead in Jaguar XJ8 &Jaguar XJR.
Just thought it needed its own thread.
Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I followed the instructions for installing the XP Mode and Virtual XP that are found on the Microsoft website regarding downloading virtual XP. You can also find these instructions in the book: Windows 7: Inside and Out from Microsoft Press. Once XP Mode is launched you install JTIS just as described in the ReadMe file on the CD and it works perfectly.

I have the instructions from the book stored on PDF if anyone would like to see it but,it is also available right on the MS website.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello Jim, sorry for my slow response since I haven't been around for a while. If I remember correctly, my JTIS installation with wins Vista Business 32 bit and wins 7 pro were closed as you post, great job Jim. All I can say is wow ! By the way, I have my personal server up and running, for any reason the link to Mediafire from member SuperSport down, I can back up by my own server but for security reason, I can provide a link plus username and password to download via private message only. Cheer .

Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DAO incompatible with 64bit machine

Is there a version out there that runs on a 64bit machine?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
We have an existing thread about the JTIS and 64 bit Operating system:
Here is the link to the thread (go to post #3 in thread):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...uctions-54640/

The JTIS software is a 32 bit application. You need windows 7 (professional or ultimate version) to install Windows Virtual PC to view it in XP mode.

Jim Lombardi