XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wind noise from the A Pillar area

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts
Default Wind noise from the A Pillar area

I have a wind noise from the area of the A Pillar or the wing mirror (difficult to tell which one) at speeds above about 60 mph, getting stronger with higher speeds. Overall, not too bad but I would like to get rid of it or reduce it, if possible. So far, I have done the following:

1. New genuine Jaguar door seal
2. Installed the tape at the wing mirror gap as advised by TSB 501-32 (Wind Noise Door Mirrors Repair Procedure) - no change
3. Tested with masking tape over: the drip molding to roof gap, the windscreen seal along the A pillar and over the top corner, the door to A pillar gap and along the top of the door, the step between the door glass up the A pillar and along the top and along the vertical gap between the door and the front wing; nothing made any change.

I now tend to think that the wing mirror itself is just producing the wind sound. Is it "normal" for the X308's to have some wind sound generated by the wing mirrors or is there anything else I can try?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

I've noticed some sound from there as well, usually becoming noticeable above 75mph. I figured it was due to the car's shape and the shaping of those rain gutters around the A-pillar causing turbulence.

You could try driving with the mirrors folded in (when traffic is low) and see if that affects the noise?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
I've noticed some sound from there as well, usually becoming noticeable above 75mph. I figured it was due to the car's shape and the shaping of those rain gutters around the A-pillar causing turbulence.

You could try driving with the mirrors folded in (when traffic is low) and see if that affects the noise?
I have tried with a tape over the gutter, no change. I have tried with different positions of the wing mirror glass (moving it by the control knob), no change. I have also tried with completely folded mirror - some change in the type of sound but the basic wind noise remained unchanged. As you said, it is probably just the shape of the body and the wing mirror (I thought a Daimler Super V8 would not have this kind of "discomfort"). I am going to try one more thing - tape around the small gap/step between the wing mirror housing and the chrome (in my case) trim attached to it.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Here's an old post of a X300 on mirror noise.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-noise-60843/

Old 10-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member

I finally found out what was causing the wind noise from the A-Pillar area on my car. As I mentioned before, I installed a new genuine door seal. What I found out was that the new seal, being fresh and "biting", was catching on the A-Pillar drip molding when closing the door and, instead of the seal sitting fully in, it was folding outwards (I noticed that the door needed a bit more force to close but I thought it was the new rubber needing some time to bed-in). I then applied silicone lubricant on the rubber and the underside of the drip molding and could see that the seal could then slide in properly - no more wind noise.

I will also try to gently knock the chrome trim of the drip channel along the A-Pillar and see if it will move slightly more away from the door seal to prevent the rubber folding back again. I can see that the drip chrome molding at the A-Pillar, on the side in question, is somewhat closer to the door frame then on the other side, even though the door is aligned perfectly.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I feel your pain, although you have sorted it now. I've noticed a "buzz" has developed on my car and I'm convinced it's coming from inside the driver's door mirror or the door panel. It's driving me bonkers because there aren't any noises elsewhere on the car! Small noises can cause big issues! LOL

Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I've noticed a "buzz" has developed on my car and I'm convinced it's coming from inside the driver's door mirror or the door panel.
I also have a very high pitch "buzz" (a bit like a mosquito) but it starts only at speeds over 115 mph so I am not really concerned about it (how long can you keep 120 mph). Not clear where it is coming from, somewhere from the front. It is not the windscreen wiper as I have already tried wit the wiper removed. My test after the successful rectification of the sitting of the door seal along the A-Pillar did not include 120 mph so the "mosquito" might also be gone (I'll check it out later).