XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Always something to do on an old Jag

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:06 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Always something to do on an old Jag

Well today my replacement for "Ole Smokey" formerly known as "the Oil Beast" Jag followed me home - well I did help a little with a a "jump starter".

I received a call about 7:30 a.m. from the driver and he said - "will be there in half an hour - do you have a jump starter as the battery is dead". Luckily I had one prepared earlier and was ready to roll. I advised him not to come into my cul-de-sac with his 19 metre truck/trailer combo as it might not be easy to turn around. Told him I would meet him a couple of streets away to make it easier for all.

Anyway - jumped and off the trailer but kept stalling (I think either a tune or the AED investigation is needed).

Back home and then commenced a bit of a look-see to see what I had actually gotten myself into, all in all - pretty happy, it looks good but there is still things to be done .

In fact - I did something today - charged a battery and replaced a broken

Battery on to be charged

Broken negative lead lug - not sure the blue replacement is above board but...

reaches the terminal and the earth point

fully charged and back in....I think I will look for a S1 battery clamp and washer bottle. I just prefer them.

The following 3 users liked this post by philg64:
Daf11e (07-12-2018), Grant Francis (07-12-2018), o1xjr (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

"Always something to do on an old Jag"
My neighbor calls that Job Security.
(';')

Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I call it "rescucitating Tutankhamun". It needs a good dose of electric juice to revive. Electrons running through its veins.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A couple of decades ago I made a business call on my client's insured. He now in the drive line rebuild business. Former mechanical repair shop closed !

He looked out of his office window and saw my Jaguar. "Aw yes, in my former shop, I had a customer with a similar. A very good customer ! I fixed his often!!!

Annuity !!!
Carl

Old 07-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by philg64
Well today my replacement for "Ole Smokey" formerly known as "the Oil Beast" Jag followed me home - well I did help a little with a a "jump starter".

I received a call about 7:30 a.m. from the driver and he said - "will be there in half an hour - do you have a jump starter as the battery is dead". Luckily I had one prepared earlier and was ready to roll. I advised him not to come into my cul-de-sac with his 19 metre truck/trailer combo as it might not be easy to turn around. Told him I would meet him a couple of streets away to make it easier for all.

Anyway - jumped and off the trailer but kept stalling (I think either a tune or the AED investigation is needed).

Back home and then commenced a bit of a look-see to see what I had actually gotten myself into, all in all - pretty happy, it looks good but there is still things to be done .

In fact - I did something today - charged a battery and replaced a broken
That statement about Jaguar cars have to be fixed all the time is not true, have had
a 78 Jaguar since it was new, kept a service Log , kept a regular maintenance with all items that
need attention.
Always there when I need it.
Walter

Battery on to be charged

Broken negative lead lug - not sure the blue replacement is above board but...

reaches the terminal and the earth point

fully charged and back in....I think I will look for a S1 battery clamp and washer bottle. I just prefer them.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Looks odd to have a nicely insulated earth terminal (which doesnt matter if it gets grounded) and then a nice bare +ve right next to the battery hold down :-)

But thats just me. I am electrically paranoid.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, that hit me as well.

My car uses a side connector battery. I learned it not as dependable as the old tech top connectors. Puny steel threaded part embedded in solder. Woops, short, connection melted, Junk, now. well, I rigged a bodge. OK for a bench top 12 v source for light loads.

And, in my starter travails, the + lead to the solenoid melted it's connection at the solenoid. I bought a new generic lead. Much sturdier.

Knock on timber. Jaguar's starter, battery and cables all healthy, Passed SMOG and purrs like a good cat. Oh, it can snarl quite nicely if called on.

Must resist the SUV wannabe racers on the road to market.... they just whoosh around that old car and it's antique driver....

Carl....

Old 07-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by yarpos
Looks odd to have a nicely insulated earth terminal (which doesnt matter if it gets grounded) and then a nice bare +ve right next to the battery hold down :-)

But thats just me. I am electrically paranoid.

I do have the Partner in red....just need to replace that positive lead...as I said "always something to do on an old Jag"

Old 07-15-2018, 03:09 AM
Default Next Issue with the Red Devil

Cantankerous old bugger it is...backfiring and carrying on...plugs were removed and it was obviously running very rich. Cleaned the plugs but still horrible...maybe it is old fuel or maybe the AED is not working...

Anyway while looking at that issue found the coolant on the inlet manifold....just slowly filling up the indent. Damn! Where the heck is that coming from? If it is the manifold with a pinhole leak I am sooo not happy.

So....maybe I will bite the bullet now and get 3 things done..

1. new starter motor
2. 1-2-3 electronic distributor
3. get the triple SUs refurbed and fitted​

Makes sense to me - they are all on that side of the motor

​​​​​​

coolant leak from the inlet manifold

coolant just above the Junction...got to find it's source

get me one of these

already have one of theses

removed them from the spare motor - so try and get them sent away for refurb this week

I would have preferred the devil to be mobile and get the rego check done and dusted - but will just have to wait a few weeks until the work is done.

At the same time I may even get the replacement (much smaller, newer, quieter, efficient) aircon compressor and alternator installed - they too sit in my shed awaiting re-use.

As I said at the beginning "Always something to do with an old Jag"

Old 07-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I've heard only good things about the 1-2-3 Ignition

Cheers
DD

Old 07-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

Not sure if it's your problem or not, but when I took off the two Stromberg carbs I started leaking coolant from the manifold. Turns out the same long studs that hold the carb also hold the water jacket to the intake manifold. So I had to drain the entire coolant out and redo those gaskets. This time I put RTV on them so that in the future as I take off the carbs the RTV still holds on the water jacket. This is on a 4.2L twin carb engine.