XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pitfalls of replacing changeover valve with a tee?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts
Default Any pitfalls of replacing changeover valve with a tee?

I've soaked my changeover valve as much as possibly on my '87 but it still won't clear.

I've seen people mention replacing this with a tee without issue, if you fill the tanks fast enough (normally) there is no issue. If you wait, they settle and can fill from the same side.

Is there any issue with the return valves? If all that is done is replacing the changeover with a tee, does the fuel returning to just one of the tanks pose any issue as far as overflow?

Old 02-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

In itself, no. My lump package came with a "T" with the proper sizes to do just that. but, the instructions also warned of a potential issue. If the car is parked on a steep hill with a full "uphill" tanks and a lot in the "down hill" tank, It will overflow the low side. Nearby SF has hills and parking perpendicular to the curb that could present that problem.

I think LnrB's NIX has one way valves before the "T". No issue.

OTH, just get a good used or NOs valve from David Boger at Everydayxj.

Carl

Old 02-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I've soaked my changeover valve as much as possibly on my '87 but it still won't clear.

I've seen people mention replacing this with a tee without issue, if you fill the tanks fast enough (normally) there is no issue. If you wait, they settle and can fill from the same side.

Is there any issue with the return valves? If all that is done is replacing the changeover with a tee, does the fuel returning to just one of the tanks pose any issue as far as overflow?
Lots of people do it.

No problem with return valves. Assuming no defect, one of them will always be open so return fuel will always go to *that* tank...but that's OK. It all balances out since the tanks are connected

I ran with a "Tee' before repairing my changeover system and had no problems.

The scenario Carl mentions is worth remembering but in all honestly it never seems to come up as a problem. Either it never materializes as an issue or people remain silent about it.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Sounds great, thanks guys. Was hoping I could grab one at the store to finally take a spin around the block, but no dice. Online it is...

Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

I think one of the charms of the XJ6 are the twin tanks. For a front seat passenger watching the fuel gauge drop ominously towards "Empty" and then observing the changeover procedure along with the gauge climbing again, is a bit of a thrill! Kind of like switching to a "Reserve" tank on an aircraft. I must confess I love to do just this but am running out of first time passengers!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by iramphal
I think one of the charms of the XJ6 are the twin tanks. For a front seat passenger watching the fuel gauge drop ominously towards "Empty" and then observing the changeover procedure along with the gauge climbing again, is a bit of a thrill! Kind of like switching to a "Reserve" tank on an aircraft. I must confess I love to do just this but am running out of first time passengers!
When my youngest daughter (now fully grown and getting married soon...how time flies!) was a wee thing she was fascinated by the twin tanks. She would insist on being in charge of monitoring the fuel gauge and switching tanks.

Heh heh...in the days when I owned MGs the kids loved shifting the gears for me. I'd work the pedals, whichever young 'un was with me would work the gearshift.

Memories

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Why do that? Just replace all the old Jaguar stuff with modern switching valves.. Pollak makes them for FI use (return ports) and without.. easy to install and ALWAYS work.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Doug:

I recall that pedal and shifter maneuver with a different cast.
Way back as a young 'in. Three on the floor car. Good looking and friendly gal riding shot gun. M right arm around her neck. Whew......

No bucket seats. Warm female body up close !!!

Carl ..

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-22-2018)