XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 1, front suspension rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default Series 1, front suspension rebuild.

Tomorrow I will be putting "Fireball" up on a mates hoist so he can give the front end a once over to see what parts are needing replacement.

Then I can source parts and prices to see when I can work the job into the budget. Just blew the car budget a couple of weeks ago upgrading from a 1995 Jeep to a 2011 Jeep,not a lot left in the kitty for repairs at the moment.

I am hoping parts needed are minimal, and labour should be all done at home.

I was about to start this job in April but the fire in the rear end put it on hold while I repaired the fire damage.

Hi Clarke,

Did you ever acquire or make a spring compressor to remove your front springs?

Cheers,

Don
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...jd-6-d-115094/

I will be a looking into Don B's method of making a spring compressor as well over the next couple of weeks. I did get some threaded rod and bits and pieces earlier in the year.

I may not actually get the job started for a couple of months, just seeing what is involved for now. I will certainly be posting questions for you guys once I get started, but I have undertaken painting the inside of the house at the moment(about to get started Monday)

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-17-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

I have more than just a little interest in this operation, Clarke!
Over the past few months husband has been laying in front end parts for Nix with the idea of rebuilding her front suspension over Winter.

Under my desk is full of pieces parts and they're flowing out into my room.

However, mine will be done the hard way as there is no lift and no experienced help available; only a neighbor who; 1) doesn't listen, 2) has a better idea how to do everything and 3) has no real experience working on anything newer than a 1965 International Harvester tractor.

He is a professional welder however, so Nix will be getting a new driver's floor pan if nothing else.
(';')

Old 10-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
However, mine will be done the hard way as there is no lift and no experienced help available;
(';')
I will be doing it the hard way,(on my garage floor) I'm only using the hoist and mechanic to have a proper look at what needs replacing.

You will probably have the job done before me if you have the parts already, so I may well be following your progress.

Update: Well, had the car up on the hoist today. List of parts as follows.(cost a cold 6 pack for the advice)
1.Lower wishbone front and rear bushes (already in my parts box)
2.Upper and lower ball joints, $35 x 4
3.Tie rod ends, $29 x 2
4.Sway bar link bushes, $1 x 8
5. V mounts, $49.50 x 2
6.front cross member mounts, $26 x 2
7.Sway bar D bushes, $9.50 x 2

Ordered the parts today, will have them Tuesday.

The next bit you won't believe, I booked the car in to have the work done on the 27th(day after the Qld forum Sunshine Coast drive).
Last time I paid for something to be done by mechanic I could do myself was 1989. But I just decided I cant be bothered pulling the front end apart on my garage floor in 35 c temps without a hoist or the right tools when he can do it in 1/2 a day at a good rate. And her indoors will be much happier if I am painting the walls and ceiling rather than lying under the XJ6. Also, my son will be racking up the miles in it next month when he gets his learners licence,and it is a bit dodgy over bumps,pot holes etc, and creaks over speed humps.

Total job will come in at less than I had allowed for parts. (was going by the recent rebuild of a 4x4 front suspension as a guide for parts, but Jag parts are much cheaper than Jeep parts)

I have been going to this guy for many years for advice, buy a lot of my parts from his wife's parts shop in the same building and have exhaust work done there. As well as pipe fabrication for my bikes.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-17-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Ya know, Clarke, some would say that's the first sign you're getting old; paying someone to do a job you *could* do yourself, but it's too hot in the garage. <snicker> Domestic tranquility is probably more important anyway.

I dragged out all my suspension parts for a photo-op. I think I have my work cut out for me this Winter.

Yes, I live in California, and under the Worst circumstances Winter only lasts for about 6 weeks, and I drove this car last Fall until December 1 when I absolutely Had to fix the heater blowers, but these parts are getting in my way. There are too many of them and I'm soon going to lose track of what they're for.

So Monday, after we return from the Jaguar Club drive to Oktoberfest, Nix will begin to undergo Major surgery both front and back.
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Series 1, front suspension rebuild.-nixsuspensionparts.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Elinor, you have more parts there than a parts shop.
You are going to be busy.

some would say that's the first sign you're getting old; paying someone to do a job you *could* do yourself,
The job really needs doing, and it is going to work out fairly cheap(still kills me to pay labour). And my son is going to start driving it next month. Wouldn't want a steering or suspension failure when he is learning to drive.
My daughter only drove it twice for short trips, but he is going to be doing most of his 100 learner log book hours in it.

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-18-2014 at 12:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Clarke, this is a bit off the main thread but fire? What fire? You're scaring me: Is the Series 1 prone to it?

If you mention this in other posts just point me there. Interested.

Thanks,

Graham

Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Series1fan
Hi Clarke, this is a bit off the main thread but fire? What fire? You're scaring me: Is the Series 1 prone to it?

If you mention this in other posts just point me there. Interested.

Thanks,

Graham
Originally Posted by GGG
I'd be very worried about parking my XJS so close to the forum arsonist.

Both looking good.

Graham
What is it with fires at your house, Clarke??
(';')
Hi Graham,
Nothing wrong with drifting off the thread topic. Keeps things interesting and it only takes one post to get back on track.

There is a good reason my wife named the XJ6 "Fireball". Nothing to worry about, Just a slight set back. Link below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...m-fire-115245/

Series1fan (10-23-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Default Diagram of front suspension

Hi Don,
Here is a diagram of the series 1 front end.

Series 1, front suspension rebuild.-untitled-scanned-01.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-18-2014 at 12:59 AM.
LnrB (11-07-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Elinor, you have more parts there than a parts shop.
You are going to be busy.
I certainly hope so! I don't do Winter well, even the exceptionally mild Winters we've had for the past couple years. I will need a complex project and I think this all might fill the bill.

The job really needs doing, and it is going to work fairly cheap(still kills me to pay labour). And my son is going to start driving it next month. Wouldn't want a steering or suspension failure when he is learning to drive.
My daughter only drove it twice for short trips, but he is going to be doing most of his 100 learner log book hours in it.
Too True!
When Nix first came to live with us she would barely stay between the ditches. One of the tie rod ends was SO bad it was about to fall apart. I couldn't imagine an inexperienced driver trying to herd a car that bad.
(';')

Old 10-18-2014, 01:08 AM

I couldn't imagine an inexperienced driver trying to herd a car that bad.
(';')
When you hit small bumps at low speed you can feel the slack in the suspension taken up through the steering.
At highway speeds you know about it when you hit a pot hole,(that momentary ohh s@#* feeling before the steering settles), all good and well for an experienced driver, but not for my learner. Who by the way has already hundreds of hours driven on "need for speed" etc and only driven a real car on the beach is telling his older learner sister what she is doing wrong.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

Ouch!! After a lot of research and parts gathering, I farmed out the replacement of the rear calipers in my car.

In 2001, I replaced the entire busted 4.2 and BW with an LT! and 460LE!

Time does change things.

I do just fine at waist level. Getting under and up again is a chore. as is above my head.

Bunch of boards fell out of our "good neighbor" fence that we built with pro help over 25 years ago. I put them back, this time with coated screws in place of teeny bare nails. But, I still have to cut and fit a new skirt board and dig the vegetation away to avoid another rot out. The first part, fine, standing upright. What's coming is stoop over, not so easy!!

But, the Jaguar is purring!!

Carl

Old 10-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Default Parts arrived

The parts arrived, but the ball joints are for XJ40/X300. Doe's anyone know if they are the same all the way back to series 1 ? ...Grant!
Thanks in advance.

Series 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0905.jpgSeries 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0906.jpg

Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Yep. All the way back to MK7, and maybe before.

Getting the cup of the lower ball joint out of the upright is problematic for some, not me. Remove all the bits of the joint, take the ball bit (the one with the threads on it) and insert it from the top, threaded part down, and WHACK it with a BIG hammer, and watch the tootsies as it projectiles out of the upright.

Clean all the area real good, and file any sharp edges smooth, as the boot on the newer joints can get caught on fitment and damaged. Holding the mouth at the required angle whilst inserting that joint into the upright is mandatory.

Some Loctite on the 4 bolts is also a good idea.

The uppers are identical to the originals, usually without grease nipples, I hate those, but failure is rare.

Pre-aligning the lower wishbone Metalastic bushes BEFORE tightening that big thru bolt is a MUST DO, or those new bushes will tear out in 10kms.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 10-23-2014 at 05:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
LnrB (10-23-2014), o1xjr (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
The next bit you won't believe, I booked the car in to have the work done on the 27th(day after the Qld forum Sunshine Coast drive).
Last time I paid for something to be done by mechanic I could do myself was 1989. But I just decided I cant be bothered pulling the front end apart on my garage floor in 35 c temps without a hoist or the right tools when he can do it in 1/2 a day at a good rate. And her indoors will be much happier if I am painting the walls and ceiling rather than lying under the XJ6. Also, my son will be racking up the miles in it next month when he gets his learners licence,and it is a bit dodgy over bumps,pot holes etc, and creaks over speed humps.

Total job will come in at less than I had allowed for parts. (was going by the recent rebuild of a 4x4 front suspension as a guide for parts, but Jag parts are much cheaper than Jeep parts)

I have been going to this guy for many years for advice, buy a lot of my parts from his wife's parts shop in the same building and have exhaust work done there. As well as pipe fabrication for my bikes.
Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Yep. All the way back to MK7, and maybe before.
Thanks Grant,
I thought that may be the case since Doug is always right, except for the engine breather cap he sent with this order.

Series 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0907.jpg

Old 10-23-2014, 06:02 AM

The one in your hand is correct for carby XK engines of the time.

The one on the car (snap is fuzzy) looks like the "larger" boot, as in the EFI engines, and the V12's.

Soooo, a different front head cover is fitted, and then the bigger boot, good idea for better breathing.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 AM

The one in your hand is correct for carby XK engines of the time.

Soooo, a different front head cover is fitted, and then the bigger boot, good idea for better breathing.
So in the pics below the round black cover is what you referring to as front head cover. Must have been changed by a PO.
The old boot works fine,but I have repaired it twice with self healing rubber tape.

Series 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0912.jpgSeries 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0913.jpgSeries 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0916.jpgSeries 1, front suspension rebuild.-dsc_0919.jpg

Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Looks like the larger one for sure.

Measure the diameter of the alloy spout the boot fits over, and tell Doug what diameter it is. I reckon the big one will be the correct fit.

o1xjr (10-23-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 05:16 AM

Looks like the larger one for sure.

Measure the diameter of the alloy spout the boot fits over, and tell Doug what diameter it is. I reckon the big one will be the correct fit.

Yep, Doug confirmed from my pics it is a series 3, & V12 item. New one in the post today.

Grant Francis (10-24-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 06:10 AM

Car went in yesterday for the work. Did a drive by 5pm today,still not on hoist(took my daughter for a driving lesson past the shop).
Guess he has jobs to do he is making money from. He did quote a really good price and he knows I don't actually need the car on the road. And I told him if I can't pick it up Wednesday(tomorrow) I can't get back until next Thursday.
Supposed to loaning XJ6 to my brother for a few days from Friday,but he can have my Bonneville or Jeep instead.

paulyling (10-31-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

........ I dragged out all my suspension parts for a photo-op. I think I have my work cut out for me this Winter. .....
Some serious work ahead there!

You will see an amazing improvement in ride quality after the suspension overhaul.

Graham

paulyling (10-31-2014)

Quick Reply: Series 1, front suspension rebuild.