XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the size of door speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What are the size of door speakers?

My speakers are crackly so thought I would upgrade. Looking in my Crutchfield flyer. Not sure how to measure for the speaker. It's probably a 4" but want to be sure. I still want to use my stock speaker grille though. I did a search but could not find anything on the first and second page

Old 02-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Crutchfield was right with the 4 inch for my 1987 xj6. They sound really tinny, so I may take the door back off and try to make the foam surrounds fit in there to see if that helps any.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 PM

I dug in my attic and found a brand new set of 4" speakers from a past project. The screw holes line up but there is a gap around the hole the speaker fits in. Are the factory Jaguar speakers an odd ball size? The next size up in speakers I'm finding online is 5 1/4. The outside speaker grille diameter is 5".

Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Hafrod
I dug in my attic and found a brand new set of 4" speakers from a past project. The screw holes line up but there is a gap around the hole the speaker fits in. Are the factory Jaguar speakers an odd ball size? The next size up in speakers I'm finding online is 5 1/4. The outside speaker grille diameter is 5".
I used the 5 1/4 speakers but snapped off the mounting tabs and redrilled the body of the speaker to match the surround! Worked great! I also added an amp and ran a 6 inch component setup on the rear deck! Brought back some bump!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hafrod

I did have to use spacers when screwing in the 4 inch speakers, because otherwise the front of the speaker touched the grill face. I also recall the depth behind the grill was really shallow. Even the shallow depth foam speaker baffles from Crutchfield were too deep to jam in there. I couldn't see getting a bigger speaker in that factory door grill, but it sure would sound better.

Hey, not to hijack your thread, but can I ask Darren how hard it was to thread speaker wire and find a power source for the rear deck speakers? thanks.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 PM

I'd like to know myself on the rear deck speakers

Old 02-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

I took the attitude that the factory size was puny period . So I treated them as mid range to high speakers and bought a good set (4) of Boston Acoustic 5 1/4 AND a Kenwood 10 inch woofer/ amplifier that is a stand alone unit (as much bass as I need) and mounted it up on the rear parcel shelf reflecting the sound upwards onto the back glass. I have a VDP model and the space between the backs of the rear seat was ideal location. It sits just forward of the middle stop light unit and is low enough that it sits at the same height as the stoplight unit I have the controller for it in the front cubby which makes it easy to adjust / set.
I am not an serious audiophile nor do I have a sound system that bounces the car to death with bass. Just an average joe ( guitar player / musician relatively good ear) who listens to classical music and classical rock music (Abbey Road sounds great on this system)

Old 02-13-2016, 12:32 PM

I drove to a few car audio stores today and come back with nothing. I took the door speaker housing and grille with me. The 4" speaker mounting holes line up but there is a gap around the speaker. We tried a 5 1/4" and it was too big. I like the idea of a component woofer to get a little bass. I'm not an audio head either but I like it to sound as if I'm at the concert. I'd like Polk, Infinity, or Alpine.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I still have the original speakers in mine and they are 5 inches, not 4 inches. Also they are 2-way, having a second cone. I have an article on how to rebuild the speakers. Or search ebay for 5 inch speakers.

Last edited by Jose; 02-13-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by studentper
I did have to use spacers when screwing in the 4 inch speakers, because otherwise the front of the speaker touched the grill face. I also recall the depth behind the grill was really shallow. Even the shallow depth foam speaker baffles from Crutchfield were too deep to jam in there. I couldn't see getting a bigger speaker in that factory door grill, but it sure would sound better.

Hey, not to hijack your thread, but can I ask Darren how hard it was to thread speaker wire and find a power source for the rear deck speakers? thanks.

As you wish....
For the amp i ran the big power cable direct from the battery, came in through firewall by brake booster and ran along under console, then under seat and into trunk.
The remote power for amp i pulled from the antenna power as i no longer have a powered whip but a short rubber one!
The low level line outs on stereo were connected to a 10 ft set of coax cables following same path as power wire!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-129539/ here is the link to my speaker install, i love them!!
Keep in mind im not running the stock head unit, mine is a media player, no cd , nice and shallow!!

here is the link for it!.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...evisit-129187/

Last edited by Darrenmb; 02-13-2016 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Darrenmb:
sethrobot (02-12-2023), studentper (02-14-2016)