XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake?

Has anyone tried making an intake for the 5.3 or 6.0 using the intake tube from the 4.0 (EBC2403)? I know the late 6.0 models had a cold air intake that opened up above the radiator utilizing two similar tubes leading to the boxes. I'm interested in putting in a cold air intake, but not so interested in the DIY ducting on the XJS setups I've seen. If no one's tried this before then perhaps one of you 4.0 owners out there would be so kinda as to send me the dimensions of the opening at the end of the tube and the length of the unit itself so that I can figure out if this is an task I'm gonna attempt or not.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
Has anyone tried making an intake for the 5.3 or 6.0 using the intake tube from the 4.0 (EBC2403)? I know the late 6.0 models had a cold air intake that opened up above the radiator utilizing two similar tubes leading to the boxes. I'm interested in putting in a cold air intake, but not so interested in the DIY ducting on the XJS setups I've seen. If no one's tried this before then perhaps one of you 4.0 owners out there would be so kinda as to send me the dimensions of the opening at the end of the tube and the length of the unit itself so that I can figure out if this is an task I'm gonna attempt or not.
I believe the 6.0 XJS have cold air...intakes... from the factory...
call Pauls' jaguar or any other breaker and see if they will sell you the 6.0 plate above the radiator and the tubes and air cleaner housings..

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Intake?-jaguar-xjs-1996-800-07.jpg  

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 10-26-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
call Pauls' jaguar or any other breaker and see if they will sell you the 6.0 plate above the radiator and the tubes and air cleaner housings..
That's what I was referring to in my post. Think Paul's Jaguar will have them? no where else does for sure. I didn't realize Paul's jag was a breaker and none of the yards near me have facelift cars. In your experience is Paul's reasonable as far as price goes?

Old 10-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

That's what I was referring to in my post. Think Paul's Jaguar will have them? no where else does for sure. I didn't realize Paul's jag was a breaker and none of the yards near me have facelift cars. In your experience is Paul's reasonable as far as price goes?
wonderful people, and yes a fair price... even to the point of me just calling up for a little do-dad.... like the sun visor clip... or worse the rubber cap that goes over the bolt that the bonnet rest on when closed... only needed one... as when I bought the car last oct. (a year ago) it was missing one...

hey let me know what they want to charge for that as I might like to go that way on my 1992 convertible...

Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

According to Gaudin Jaguar the parts aren't very expensive so you can get them brand new:

AIR INTAKE for 1995 Jaguar XJS

Separately, I'd test if there is a temperature differential from the current horn inlet point and the radiator cover point to see if it's worth the investment.

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (10-27-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
According to Gaudin Jaguar the parts aren't very expensive so you can get them brand new:

AIR INTAKE for 1995 Jaguar XJS
That't not bad, if you're just getting the top cover for either side and the assorted hoses and attachments it looks like you might be $100 all-in. That's worth it to me for a factory-style air intake for sure.

Let us know what you find and post some pictures if you attempt this project, Dymaxxion. I would definitely do this if it is as easy as it seems to be. Order the parts, cut a couple holes in the front wall for the intakes to go, and you have a cold air intake. Very cool.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 PM

Wow. That's awesome, couldn't find anything like that myself. I guess I'll be attempting this then. I'll keep you guys posted. Anyone know if the boxes are the same size? I have an extra set I may just try and fabricate to fit the new setup.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Jag parts says its NLA so l would be very surprised if they are in stock anywhere...

Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

One caution on the factory cold air intakes...

IIRC, the facelift hood was redesigned to accommodate the shift to the AJ16 engine. It might be a little taller at the point where it meets the radiator cover and those intakes.

I'd just double check that.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

IIRC, the facelift hood was redesigned to accommodate the shift to the AJ16 engine. It might be a little taller at the point where it meets the radiator cover and those intakes.

Exactly the facelift 6.0L has the powerbulge and this is needed for CAI. The 6.0L CAI will not fit under the bonnet of the pre-facelift car.

Look at what TWR did for the road car, this works extremely well and will fit under the bonnet. IIRC according to Alan Scott the TRW CAI and exhaust were worth 20-30hp on a 5.3L and more on the TRW 6.0L.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

You are right. The bonnet (hood) on the 6 litre later cars with the over the rad cold air intakes is the same bonnet that was fitted to all the 6 litre cars from the start in the early 1980s. It had to have the bulge so they could squeeze the 6 cylinder upright engine in. There are lots available in the UK, at least.
Greg

Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM

Realized this last night. I've considered swapping to a 6 cal hood before for the power bulge, but I've elected to instead punch louvers in my extra V12 hood. I think XJSMan89 and I are going to collaborate on some custom cold air intakes. We'll keep you all posted.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

I seemed to remember that Roger Bywater talked about CAI, so I looked it up this morning and found it on his site's FAQ:

9. Can you sell me a cold air intake kit for my V12?

It is not something we offer although we do add supplementary intakes below the filters as a means of increasing breathing area without introducing excessive noise. At high speeds the air reaching the intakes behind the radiator is much cooler than at low speeds so the performance gain of cold air intakes is less than might be imagined. It is easy to forget that warmer air is better for fuel economy so the standard 5.3 arrangement is a better compromise than it might seem.

The more important point to consider is that you may have to get your ECU modified to gain any significant benefit:

10. Why do I need to have the ECU modified when I improve the engine's breathing?

Quite simply, more air requires more fuel. On the V12, having MAP load sensing, minor breathing improvements can exploit the slight over-richness that the standard ECU provides to limit temperatures at full power but significant improvements will always require some sort of change to the fueling Engines with MAF load sensing will often compensate automatically as long as the increased flow does not extend beyond the area mapped by the ECU.
Just something else to consider.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
ronbros (10-28-2015), xjsman89 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I think XJSMan89 and I are going to collaborate on some custom cold air intakes. We'll keep you all posted.
I would definitely like to, we'll see what we come up with. Hopefully something pretty cool.

The more important point to consider is that you may have to get your ECU modified to gain any significant benefit.
That makes sense, I guess my next question would be centered around how far out the ECU is mapped to. I'm not opposed to additional intake noise (On the contrary actually, a throatier intake noise would be welcomed.) but I wouldn't want to introduce so much air that it leans out the mixture at all, let alone leaning it out to the point where it would be detrimental to engine life. There's an except from Palm's XJS book on the jaglovers site that Brendan found that has a couple different variations, and doesn't say anything about extending the mapped region of the ECU. Apparently these people haven't had an issue with increasing airflow and being out of the predetermined range for the ECU to compensate for?

Jaguar XJ-S Cold Air Intakes

I love all the discussion on this board. It's great for projects like this. Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Collins

Last edited by xjsman89; 10-28-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

The cold air intake fitted to late model 6.0 L engines takes the majority of airflow from in front of radiator I.e the cold side, there are several holes about 10mm (3/8" approximately) that allows air from engine compartment to bleed into the intake.
These are visible in the photos posted by Jonathan W

Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Paul_59
The cold air intake fitted to late model 6.0 L engines takes the majority of airflow from in front of radiator I.e the cold side, there are several holes about 10mm (3/8" approximately) that allows air from engine compartment to bleed into the intake.
These are visible in the photos posted by Jonathan W

also to note...
these stock parts....
like the intakes of prior years neck down to a narrow opening inside themselves for noise reduction.. (right before the 90 degree bend)

which also increases the suction through said several holes...

all I can say is motor tool and black racers tape...

Old 10-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

also to note...
these stock parts....
like the intakes of prior years neck down to a narrow opening inside themselves for noise reduction.. (right before the 90 degree bend)

which also increases the suction through said several holes...

all I can say is motor tool and black racers tape...
Didn't realise they narrowed.

Already covered the holes with black tape