XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hello World

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hello World

This is my foray into Jaguardom.

I've been coveting these cars for some time, and I just tucked this into my garage tonight for a measly $1,500 USD.
It's a 1988, black with maroon interior, ZERO RUST, and 40,474 on the clock. Clean title, no accidents, all there, and runs like a top.
Obviously I've got a large number of odds and ends to sort out.

Does anybody know if there are guide holes beneath the rubber door moulding? And where to get the BBS looking wheels?

Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by reverendalc
This is my foray into Jaguardom.

I've been coveting these cars for some time, and I just tucked this into my garage tonight for a measly $1,500 USD.
It's a 1988, black with maroon interior, ZERO RUST, and 40,474 on the clock. Clean title, no accidents, all there, and runs like a top.
Obviously I've got a large number of odds and ends to sort out.

Congratulations !

Looks like you done good.

Does anybody know if there are guide holes beneath the rubber door moulding?

The anti-ding moldings?

Hard to tell from the pics but if they're the type using an aluminum channel with vinyl inserts then there will be holes where the rivets go thru the sheet metal.

And where to get the BBS looking wheels?
Known as "Lattice" or "Sports Alloy"

They come up on Ebay fairly often

Cheers
DD

Old 12-31-2017, 10:08 PM

Thanks Doug, I'd like to think it was a (more than) fair deal.

Those are in fact the type of moulding I have, and the attachment hardware I feared. Perhaps they'll grow on me. I really wanted a red XJS, and I really wanted it to not have the moulding... but I also really wanted to pay $1500.

The car came with an extra set of the same wheels plus the full-size, same style spare... so I happen to have nine of those wheels on hand.

Miraculously I've got ALL of the original paperwork, manuals, and documentation including the California notification and a few staggeringly high priced service records.

I've got a brake pedal that is very spongey... and it's tough to slow down from speed.
I've got a low oil pressure indicator which seems to contradict the oil level and circulation.
I've got a gauge cluster of glitchy instruments.
I've got a power antenna that doesn't extend.
I've got a seat heater that doesn't heat.

I got quite a lot it seems (-;

I'll have a look for those names, thanks.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by reverendalc
Thanks Doug, I'd like to think it was a (more than) fair deal.

Sounds like it!

I've got a brake pedal that is very spongey... and it's tough to slow down from speed.

Plan on a full inspection of the system and, quite possibly, a system overhaul. Rear brakes in particular tend to be neglected

I've got a low oil pressure indicator which seems to contradict the oil level and circulation.

If showing very low at idle when hot.....that's normal. No worries.

I've got a gauge cluster of glitchy instruments.
Common, and possibly related to your low oil pressure readings. The usual cure is to remove the cluster, clean all the contact points at the printed circuit and connector, and install a redundant ground

I've got a seat heater that doesn't heat.
Possible dead heating elements or dead relay.

I got quite a lot it seems (-;
Common for used XJSs to need a LOT of sorting out. Most haven't been properly serviced.

To begin with pay particular attention to the cooling system (must be kept 100% up-to-snuff) and fuel lines (should be replaced every few years).

These cars are fabulous to drive when everything is working right. Takes some effort but it's worth it.

If you're not familiar with them well, to be honest, you have lots to learn.....but everyone here is happy to help a willing XJS student

Cheers
DD

Old 12-31-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanks again Doug.

I'm always willing to learn. When I branch out, I always join up to the forums in search of sage advice.

The brakes are number one on the list, and I've already read up on the gauge/ground scenario. I'll probably bang that out tomorrow.

Are people using fuel line kits, or cutting from bulk? Perhaps you could point me in a direction there. It sat from 2013-2017, and has only been mobile since august.

Which part of PNW do you hail from?

Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Most use F.I. hose cut from bulk from the local parts store. You'll need new 'ferrules' as well...lots of archived info. Do the feed and return hoses, too. Not just the 12 injector hoses.

I'm in Salem but spent 20+ years in WA

Cheers
DD

Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Welcome to the forum - some of the people here could pretty much build an XJS from nothing but unrefined ore, half a tree, and a couple of cows. So you're very much in the best place to get good advice. Look forward to more pics of your new car soon - especially the interior. I love red interiors. Mine's rather bland doeskin. But hey, I'm looking out the windows most of the time....

Old 01-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the XJS world.

Nice looking car and good miles. Hopefully the Californian sunshine has kept the rust away? I'm always jealous when I see the size of garages you chaps over there have.

In case you haven't spotted it, there was a recent post from a new member in your part of the world posted on 27th Dec by Dave. Link below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...member-194230/

Reason I mention is that in my reply to the above post I included links to downloads of Jaguar manuals that you might also find useful.

Cheers and happy new year,
LeeP

Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Quite useful indeed!

I've got new hoses, belts look fresh too. Going to sort the fuel lines and brakes and gauges, hopefully with a good start today.

Here's my other pic:

Old 01-01-2018, 09:17 PM

well here goes. I'm going to redo the fuel lines and pads/rotors/calipers.
is there a general consensus about which products to go with?

my poor ski slope...
nothing got broken!
except a little more of that
but it's ready for something new
you might've noticed that the front grill was sitting on that table too
naked
and ready for the treatment
I am really leaning towards the TWR replica kit from jagspares, blacking out the grill and lamp surrounds, and redoing the interior wood with genuine, laid up carbon fiber.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks like you've made a good start. A couple of items as my .02 cents.

1. get rid of the second coil behind the grille and replace the coil on the throttle capstan with a more modern high capacity unit.
2. Pull the hood off and clean between the radiator and A/C evaporator
3. Bleed and service the brakes
4. replace ALL fuel line hoses under the hood. Easily done yourself.
5. Get the car up on a rack and hit all the grease points, there are a bunch
6. Ditch the original dual Cat's on each bank and replace with a single unit on each side of eliminate altogether. Get rid of the resonators

I have a burgundy red interior as well. many years ago I re-dyed the entire interior to take care of the sun fading. Turned out very well.

If you are handy you can refinish the dash wood inserts yourself and save a lot of money or you can send them out.

Looks like a great car. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Default Thanks

I’d love to hear anybody and everybody’s $.02, that’s why I joined up.

As as I mentioned, the brakes (ALL brake equipment) and fuel lines are on the short list already. I’m going to stop by fiberlay today and pick up some epoxy and carbon fiber twill, and replace/recover the wood with carbon. My interior is otherwise in excellent condition.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 AM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Congratulations on practically stealing this car! Here is what you normally get for $1500. Welcome to a great hobby.