XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Isn't that a little contraproductive, Warren?

I mean, geometry would say to put the pipes as close to the diff as possible, as the travel of the wishbone ans drive shaft are longer at the wheel, so it would be more likely to hit the pipe. Where as closer to the diff, the travel is a lot less resulting on less need for space...

Or am I mssing something?
Putting them close to the diff puts them close to the rear brakes, not a good thing. My friend who owns this car is a retired Jaguar engineer and has built many E Type and XJS race cars. That is an old pic as that car now has ventilated rear disks.

This pic shows it a little better

Originally Posted by Ezrider
that looks quite simple, takes far less of a bend than going over the top of the axle. i suppose moving it outboard gives you more room because of the shape of the cage. you could probably use a little more bend but rotate the bend slightly so the radius of the bend is a little closer to the u joint where there is less travel. but your entrance and exit points are the same. ill have to play with that routing a bit too. it does look like his lca is hitting the pipe a little bit under compression of the rear suspension.

it may be my eyes tricking me but looking at the size of the exaust in relation to the lca looks closer to 2 1/4 inch than 2.5 exhaust.
No definitely 2.5" and it is not touching anything, it is very close but does not touch. When you place the pipe have the rear wheels on full rebound and place the pipe almost touching the half shaft just off centre towards the hub.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

from the second angle doesn't look like it touches but in the first one you can see a bit of a mark right in the radius of the bend that looks like its rubbed a little bit, in the second angle it looks like that mark is behind the lca. it certainly looks like a lot easier routing than getting threw the cage up and over the axle shaft like the original routing. certainly going to have to play around with that a bit next time i have it up on jack stands.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:14 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

I hope I am not intruding on the exhaust topic, but this is my first.....I brought something addition to this post.
Very simple purchase fan and clutch... but what excited me was they are OEM Jag... for $166 USD... from a wrecker... but new.
Hell I might be wrong but the fan has the right wording... looking forward to my new Aux fan turning up and fitting them both.

Now back to the exhaust topic.. which one day I will want to know about... when the kids finish school, only 4yrs.

Last edited by Dukejag; 10-31-2018 at 03:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ezrider (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM

if anything we were intruding on the "what did you do today" topic, great find on that fan!!

Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezrider
if anything we were intruding on the "what did you do today" topic, great find on that fan!!
That's the entire idea of this thread A general thread for anything ypu did or bought which isn't worth making an entire new thread for... And siscussions of items etc

Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally seem to have got on top of the various electrical niggles, the fast idling problem, the oil leaks and sender unit problems, the cool running problem, the... list goes on So today it was raining and I had to go out so took the XJ-S as there was just me (no dogs or other people who can't get in it without making a song and dance about how low it is...) and I loved it, lights on, wipers on, all the gauges reading right(ish) and a pleasure to drive.

However,

Pulled up behind another car and thought; ' there doesn't seem to be a lot of light from the front of my car?' so of course, the headlights have packed up, and the heater only has heat coming out if the thing is set to 'screen' all other settings just blast cold air! Any ideas?

Old 11-04-2018, 07:10 PM

mine recently decided to not have the headlights come on as well. turned out to be the headlight relay. park and marker lights worked, but no high or low beams had high beams if you held the selector all the way back to the flash position.

xtriple (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 12:58 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

fed up with optic.fibre I fitted leds with a concealed potentiometer to control the brightness

Last edited by rgp; 11-05-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Greg in France (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:50 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

fed up trying to download pictures on this site, every time I do it removes my words
so I will put it in here
fed up with optic fibre I fitted LEDs Saturday with a concealed potentiometer in the wall glove box to dim them down
picture ar in no particular orded

Last edited by rgp; 11-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Greg in France (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Originally Posted by rgp

fed up with optic.fibre I fitted leds with a concealed potentiometer to control the brightness

Superb Rex. I am most envious. How exactly did you do it and which pieces from where did you buy, please.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

Il be in touch via pm

Old 11-20-2018, 03:27 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

1 of the electric fans on my cooler cats conversion started to squeak after only 80hrs. or so use so I changed them both, 1" more clearance than the originals with these and had to drill for the different mounts, I will see how long these last

Last edited by rgp; 11-20-2018 at 03:51 AM. Reason: recalculated hours
Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Rex
Experience has sadly taught me that (now that Pacet are no longer) SPAL are the only long-term reliable electric fans you can buy.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
JigJag (11-20-2018), rgp (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Rex
Experience has sadly taught me that (now that Pacet are no longer) SPAL are the only long-term reliable electric fans you can buy.
Greg
unnecessarily seconded. No other reliable option.

I’ve just installed a 17” parabolic rear view mirror.Fit is snug, and non-permanant. I’ve not made my mind up on it yet, but being able to see out of all the windows at once is pretty amazing!

Last edited by JigJag; 11-20-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I sold her. I feel a bit like I've failed, and I already want another one, but I did what had to be done. She went to a new owner for a song, even after I warned the new owner what they were in for. She sounded a bit better prepared than I was, thankfully.

Thanks to the lot of you for all your help over the years.

May my next XJS be solent blue, or maybe kingfisher instead...

Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Brought her home for the first time. The body looks good at first glance.

The interior needs a lot of love, headliner is sagging and moldy, the wood trim on the ski slope is faded and cracking, the seats are in sad shape .

Periodically, there's a loud rattle and clanking...maybe transmission mount.

Engine runs good, but the valve covers are leaking.

JigJag (12-27-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Survey mode begins

Went to the local licensing issue to transfer the title and renew the registration. Because the tabs had been expired for 2 1/2 years, I expected a huge hit to the wallet. Ended up being not nearly as bad as I feared, but certainly more than I wanted to spend.

Because winter is setting in, and right now I have a big ***** pile in my garage, I can't do as much as I'd like, but did spend a little time poking around to see what needs addressing....

First off, identify the ignition system. Appears to be a Lucas. Also, tried to identify where the valve covers are leaking and what needs to be done to get to them. Lots of stuff to remove - I need my garage back.

Next, opened the trunk to poke around in the taillights, as they don't work. Some dodgy looking wiring going on, will probably need a diagram to properly troubleshoot that problem. Also noticed that there was a car cover in the trunk, and a virtual rain forest cascading down from the trunk lid.

Lastly, sat in the in the car to look around to see what needs work there...there is some moisture beading up on the inside of the windows, presumably from a possible water ingress, and probably because the car sat for a long time. Peeled off some of the cracking wood trim from the console to get an idea of how its on there...looked at the sagging (and molded) headliner and will likely pull it off completely as it sags enough to get in the way. Tried to start the car, battery is dead....likely needs a new one, but can put a charger on it just to get it running temporarily.

Noted that the odometer mileage read exactly the same as it did when I took possession of the car...it's a least a 5 mile drive. The speedometer works, though, so not likely a cable issue.

At some point in it's life, some one swapped in an Alpine head unit (with detachable face). The face was missing, but found it in the glove box. Quick interweb search resulted in the stock radio being unavailable...at least new.

When I was driving, I noticed the buttons one of the small square lighted buttons found above the radio was flickering....pressing any of them resulted in no change of, well, anything.

Driver's side inside door lock lever will lock the door just fine, but not unlock it. Conversely, I can unlock with the key. Also, when the door is not locked, I can open it from the inside, but the outside door handle doesn't open it. There is supposed to be parts for it in a box I got from the PO.

Came back inside and started looking up parts for the interior on XKS Unlimited. Navigating their website is rather challenging, I've found. Despite the fact I've told it to search for parts for the XJS, I still get parts for other Jaguars in the search results. But I digress...after finally managing to identify some of the appropriate interior bits, I'm almost inclined to part the car and run. But, I'll look up some custom interior shops in the area, and consider doing some of the work myself. Might even attempt a interior re-color. Best that I can tell, the interior is Biscuit, which I'm not much of a fan of. I'm thinking I might lean more towards a gray (Savile Gray, perhaps?) and possibly eliminate the wood trim and go with something else.

For the immediate future, until I can roll the car into the garage, I'll probably hit one of the hardware stores to pick up a couple of tubs of Dri-Z-It to place in the trunk and the cabin to get rid of some of the moisture and put the cover on.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gorgeous, I hope you plugged the holes in those sensors so sand didn't get in.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to chase down the manufacturer for the OEM indoor car cover for the XJS and ordered one which will be here in 6 to 8 weeks. I am not too found of the current car cover she spends most of her time in.....

Then, I started looking at pictures from last summer. Can't wait until its nice out again.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

New alternator....another new alternator. &%#B^%%&!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to or buy for your XJ-S/XJS today?