XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Panel Fit Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door Panel Fit Issue

I've mentioned this in a few posts but thought I post up a photo to see if any current XK owner can help.

This is how the drivers door panel mates to the door on our pre-owned 08 XK. For the record it was this way when we bought it.

I took it to our local Jag dealer and they claimed they tried to re-fit the panel but were unable to do so. So they ordered me an entire new drivers door panel. That was over 6 weeks ago. I've called a few times and am told Jaguar has to manufacture a new door panel as they are not "in stock". I doubt it left the factory this way so that leaves two options:

1. First owners dealer (car was a lease in NJ) attempted some fix and screwed it up. Hence possible record on fie and why Jaguar is willing to fix it now.

2. First owner caused the damage and I'm surprised Jaguar hasn't told me to pound sand.

The car entered service in Nov 2007 and I bought it this past April with 35K miles on the clock.

But in the off chance Jaguar doesn't come through my next option is to take it to a local high end collision repair shop and see if they can get it to fit.

What's odd is the window operates perfectly and there are no rattles etc in the door. You can look straight down from above and see two clips that aren't visible on the passenger door, sort of like the panel was pulled away from the car at the bottom bending the mounting clips on the top where the interior door panel would hang in the door frame.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggests on a repair if Jaguar doesn't come through?

Thanks and Happy Independence Day

Tom

Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was exactly the same way when I brought I up from Texas. However, it happened on the passenger side. So being as particular as I am, every time I looked that way in the car my eyes would drawn to it. Drove me crazy!
I took it in and they said the metal pins that hold the retainer clips needed adjusting, so they adjusted it and it's fine now.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 PM

I wonder then if my dealer even attempted to fix it. And your right about my eyes being drawn to it since its right there on my drivers door.

I'm not sure I even want to go through the hassle of taking the car to them for another attempt or to just take it to a local body shop and pay to have it fixed.

Thoughts/comments?

Tom

Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My shop took about 10 mins and it was done. Worth a check. Minor adjustment to the tabs that hold the clips, they will be same colour as your body. One of the clips may need replacement as well which is minor.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TomServo
I wonder then if my dealer even attempted to fix it. And your right about my eyes being drawn to it since its right there on my drivers door.

I'm not sure I even want to go through the hassle of taking the car to them for another attempt or to just take it to a local body shop and pay to have it fixed.

Thoughts/comments?

Tom
Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same issue on the driver's side door. Me thinks this was done when the original owner had the windows tinted.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by tommyd
Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same issue on the driver's side door. Me thinks this was done when the original owner had the windows tinted.
No, when Jaguar USA had my car trailered to Jaguar of Peoria they claimed they fixed it (along with the inop heated steering wheel/seats and rear defogger). None of the items were fixed. What a waste of time, effort and $$$.

I'm going to sell it and buy a CTS-V.

Tom

Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the exact same issue with mine! Anyone tried to fix this themselves? Any tips on getting the door panel off?

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by zman112233
I've got the exact same issue with mine! Anyone tried to fix this themselves? Any tips on getting the door panel off?
Was in talking to a tint shop yesterday... Certainly don't want this to happen to me, so I also would like to see some type if instructions or DIY in panal removal....

Vince

Old 01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a hold of a factory service manual and it seems there are three screws holding the door panel on and 16 "clips". My guess is the panel had been removed at one point and not installed again properly. It looks like a pretty straightforward fix. Is anyone an original owner that has had this problem? I'd be curious if it wiggled out over time or if it was just not put back together properly.