XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Killer Chiller

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
ud
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Killer Chiller

Has anyone put one of these units on a 5.o xkr or is this not necessary as the blower is already being cooled. My goal is to leave pieces of my rear end (not that one!!) laying on the street and make my natural strawberry blond hair on fire!!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I have had one on my 2000 XKR for about 4 years. I highly recommend it as it really lowers the tem pin the supercharger. The problem is that you will be doing a true custom install. The most efficient way will include eliminating the supercharger radiator as well as isolating the cooling system. You will also need to increase the capacity of the cooling system with some sort of reservoir with a second pump & reservoir.

Have you considered a water methanol injection system?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM
ud
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile Methanol injectin?

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I have had one on my 2000 XKR for about 4 years. I highly recommend it as it really lowers the tem pin the supercharger. The problem is that you will be doing a true custom install. The most efficient way will include eliminating the supercharger radiator as well as isolating the cooling system. You will also need to increase the capacity of the cooling system with some sort of reservoir with a second pump & reservoir.

Have you considered a water methanol injection system?
I am ignorant of what a methanol cooling system is: U hav my undivided attention. Please elaborate. Thanks so much

Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
SoCal Babe (02-02-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Also consider AEM for water/methanol charge cooling. I use one on my modern 6.1L Challenger w/centrifugal blower @ ~7 psi, very effective. Nice failsafe options, should you choose to tune for additional power with the spray...

AEM Water/Methanol Injection Kits - Water-Meth Injection Systems for Turbo/Super - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

Rich

Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Aquamist (Aquamist systems - aquamist-direct.com) is the best available for a street driven car. I would highly recommend you look at them. They also have a forum for more information...

In a nutshell it reduced the engine temp but it can also cause some cars to retard timing and have similar effects to running higher octane fuel. Many use it as a safety net for questionable tuning. The 5.0 does a great job at cooling from the factory but a meth/water injection would further reinforce cooling and it is not supposed to add power - however it will make the engine pull harder. Some debate freeing up power vs adding power... semantics. Also, it's quite easy and practical to use your windshield wiper reservoir as the tank since windshield wiper fluid is nothing more than water with meth mixture.

SoCal Babe (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

What do the Mina crew say? Presumably they have plenty of customers who've fitted that pulley - I'd hope they'd know if people were cooking the blower.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
What do the Mina crew say? Presumably they have plenty of customers who've fitted that pulley - I'd hope they'd know if people were cooking the blower.
The people at Mina say that your don't even need a tune with the pulley since the ECU is "smart enough" to recognize it and auto adjust.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd highly recommend installing a wideband to anyone that's going to deviate from stock boost and/or tune...

Rich

Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rw99
I'd highly recommend installing a wideband to anyone that's going to deviate from stock boost and/or tune...

Rich
Yes. You'd be crazy not to IMHO.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The people at Mina say that your don't even need a tune with the pulley since the ECU is "smart enough" to recognize it and auto adjust.
We all know that is not true as the ecu will bleed off boost. The only way to realize the increase in boost is with a tune.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
We all know that is not true as the ecu will bleed off boost. The only way to realize the increase in boost is with a tune.

Yes, but even a tune is not proven for our cars. I say leave it alone... too much risk and they all charge a premium.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes, but even a tune is not proven for our cars. I say leave it alone... too much risk and they all charge a premium.
I've seen you elude to this several times recently.

Why? I have a huge post complete with before and after dyno numbers and AFR's. I have had the Eurocharged tune now for months (others have had it longer) with no ill-effects or any issues at all for that matter. It is one of the best out of the box tunes I have ever had.

And to go from 480 rwhp to 540 rwhp for $1000 dollars is hardly a premium..its a STEAL!

I'm not trying to make an argument but I am very confused by your statements, that's all.

Jaxkr (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I've seen you elude to this several times recently.

Why? I have a huge post complete with before and after dyno numbers and AFR's. I have had the Eurocharged tune now for months (others have had it longer) with no ill-effects or any issues at all for that matter. It is one of the best out of the box tunes I have ever had.

And to go from 480 rwhp to 540 rwhp for $1000 dollars is hardly a premium..its a STEAL!

I'm not trying to make an argument but I am very confused by your statements, that's all.
Running on the dyno and on the street are very different. My ECU is stock so my only source of information is second hand... Max stated that his tune lost steam up top when he ran the 1/4 mile. I can't find them right now but others have mentioned running a little rich (waaaay better than going lean) also on different tunes. It just scares me to get a tune on a car like this and not have it be perfect out of the gate.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Running on the dyno and on the street are very different. My ECU is stock so my only source of information is second hand... Max stated that his tune lost steam up top when he ran the 1/4 mile. I can't find them right now but others have mentioned running a little rich (waaaay better than going lean) also on different tunes. It just scares me to get a tune on a car like this and not have it be perfect out of the gate.
Fair enough....I know Maxima has the RICA (*edit, its the RSC tune) tune which is probably a bit different than mine, as I have not noticed anything of the sort. In fact at high RPMS even in 4th gear it is pulling so hard I have to be careful to not bounce on the limiter if I am using the paddles. It pulls amazingly hard throughout the RPM band. From what I can see, my tune has been perfect out of the gate. And I have had many tuned cars, from Softronix, MTI, Vision Function, DP Tuner (F-250). The Eurocharged tune has been excellent for me.

I agree it is rich, but so is the stock tune. Its a nice safety feature and I'm still putting out good power.

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 02-04-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Fair enough....I know Maxima has the RICA tune which is probably a bit different than mine, as I have not noticed anything of the sort. In fact at high RPMS even in 4th gear it is pulling so hard I have to be careful to not bounce on the limiter if I am using the paddles. It pulls amazingly hard throughout the RPM band. From what I can see, my tune has been perfect out of the gate. And I have had many tuned cars, from Softronix, MTI, Vision Function, DP Tuner (F-250). The Eurocharged tune has been excellent for me.

I agree it is rich, but so is the stock tune. Its a nice safety feature and I'm still putting out good power.
Does he have the RICA tune or RSC? Maybe RSC is white labeling theirs? -not at all uncommon. When I talked to Hershel at RSC he spoke as if his tune was proprietary.

Just to clarify - I'm not an expert and my car has the factory tune so I am just going off other consumer reviews.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM

No you're right...I just went back and double checked...he has the RSC tune...I knew it started with an "R"..lol.

I know nothing about the RSC or RICA tunes.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM

No you're right...I just went back and double checked...he has the RSC tune...I knew it started with an "R"..lol.

I know nothing about the RSC or RICA tunes.

Rica is a Europe based tuner and they have a very, very good reputation. One of the few that has a history of conservaitive claims on performance gains.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Yup, I know who RICA is, I just don't know anything about their Jaguar 5.0L SC tune. All I have is first hand experience with Eurocharged.

As for street manors, from what I understand the tune is based on the stock XKR-S tune, not a freshly re-written tune. The street manors are perfect as is the idle and slow driveablity, something I had issues with on the custom MTI tune on the vette and the Vision Function tune on the Lotus.

I must say so far my "out of the box" tunes have actually out-performed my custom dyno/street tunes. Seems strange but that has been my experience.

Sorry if this became a thread jack!