XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New Oil choices for 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

So back to oils.. Is it a possibility that the only difference in the 925 spec oil is the florescence color that is added? When you look at the technical data of the oil it doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary from other oils in the same category..

The following is straight from the product data page from castrol oil:

Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 PRODUCT DESCRIPTION Castrol EDGE Professional with Fluid Strength Technology TM is Castrol’s strongest and most advanced range of engine oils. Its unique adaptive strength reduces metal to metal contact across a range of different driving speeds.
Castrol EDGE Professional lowers friction and maximises engine performance. Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 gives you the confidence to demand maximum engine performance from the latest high performance, efficient technology engines requiring the lowest viscosity oils.
Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 has been co-engineered in partnership with Jaguar Land Rover for the latest generation engines. Micro-filtered and with its signature fluorescent colour it is your guarantee of Professional quality.
Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20. Strength to Perform - Freedom to Drive. PRODUCT APPLICATION
Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A1/B1, API SL, ILSAC GF-3 or earlier specification 5W-20 lubricant.
Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 is approved for use in vehicles that require a 5W-20 lubricant that meets Ford WSS-M2C925-A or Ford WSS-M2C925-B specifications.
PRODUCT FEATURES & BENEFITS • SAE 5W-20 viscosity for low temperature pumpability and fuel economy. • Delivers unsurpassed levels of protection across a variety of driving conditions and temperatures. • Maximises short and long term engine performance. • Improves engine efficiency, independently qualified. • Reduces engine deposits to help maximize engine response.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Is it a possibility that the only difference in the 925 spec oil is the florescence color that is added? When you look at the technical data of the oil it doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary from other oils in the same category..
LOL No. And another member found out that they have done away with the dye now.
These days oils can be wildly different depending on what the car manufacturer specifies.
Look at the difference between Castrol oil and BMW specified oil, both same viscocity, and probably made by the same company

Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Boca, what jagtoes said is spot on.
If you have a water pump that works and works well- it may be infinitely better than the new one you wish to get

Sometimes it comes down to luck of the draw, and fear drawing a bad straw if asked to roll the dice again.
Another concern that you should have; your car/engine was put together in a proper factory with precision tools and folks who only work on this engine. That is not what you will get at a dealer replacing a water pump.
Queen and Country......Your last statement is precisely why I have not started pressuring and/or pursuing the replacement with the same enthusiasm I had initially. What I call your reference to amateurs replacing what the factory installed as "Collateral damage". The results of trying to repair something while breaking other items along the way. So very true and very well said! Thanks. For the time being I'll live with the coolant smell and keep my reservoir topped up.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
LOL No. And another member found out that they have done away with the dye now.
So someone has confirmed that the 5w-20 925 spec oil no longer has the dye or the new 0w-20 STJLR.51.5122 spec doesn't have it in it?

Old 08-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

So someone has confirmed that the 5w-20 925 spec oil no longer has the dye
Correct, they got it straight from JLR head office.

TexasTraveler (08-03-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I saw on Power Block TV that Valvoline has introduced a new oil formulation specifically made for new GDI engines. Supposedly it has additives, detergents and whatever else to stop/prevent carbon build-up on the intake valves and to do other fancy stuff.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I saw on Power Block TV that Valvoline has introduced a new oil formulation specifically made for new GDI engines. Supposedly it has additives, detergents and whatever else to stop/prevent carbon build-up on the intake valves and to do other fancy stuff.
But does it have the Jaguar spec approval ...

Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

But does it have the Jaguar spec approval ...
Like it even truly matters, unless still under factory warranty. Of course that was your point anyway...

TexasTraveler (08-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Good News- Bad News- Mind blowing news, on new oil choices.

Good News,
Many more brands of oil for the 5.0 Jaguar engine have become available in USA now. Partly because there are so many more Jaguar models that use the same oil, even the Fpace.

Motul is finally available in USA, I remember when even the Motul distributor in NJ could not get me the 5122 specific oil.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motul-Speci...AAAOSwQVlcZa6Q

Pentosin
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentosin-PE...kAAOSw3kxbhhAC

Redline
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-10...MAAOSwv9hW6VXZ

Liqui Moly
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-F-...item51ed64c3f9

Bad News,
They all cost more than the oil purchased from dealer.
And none of them are proven like the Castrol.
However, I have not known Redline to make a product that did not outperform everything on the market.

The Mind-blowing,
My favorite oil, that is highly proven, its insanely cheap, ($20 for a gallon, $10 after rebate) and readily available; now has Jaguar certification (sorta)
In the oil community we wondered why it did not because test data showed that it did everything Jag spec was looking for and one of the only ones to do so.
Regardless of certification, its the only oil I would trust not to leave deposits as its a true group 4. Its long been known in the enthusiasts community to be one of the best oils period.
I have used it for over 150,000 miles on my engine with 280,000 miles with great results, its the only one that goes 6 months without getting quart low or 20% loss.
Its competitor's test prove it to be better in the one area we care about (evap loss)

Here is the oil: https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...inum-5W-20.pdf
So I guess I can start doing 6 month oil changes with this oil.

Stuart S (03-07-2019)