Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OBDII Monitor Info Requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default OBDII Monitor Info Requested

My curiousity was raised by a post from Bocatrip and response from WhiteXKR who is an electronics expert for these Jag XK/XKR cars

WhiteXKR suggested the ELM327 OBDII monitor which sells for less than $20.00.

Amazon.com: ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Can ELM 327 Scantool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader: Electronics Amazon.com: ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Can ELM 327 Scantool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader: Electronics

My question is, what other items or electronics are needed to set this device up.

I found the following video which provides allot of info using a software computer program called TORQUE.

Can anyone else supply some more generic info, like how hard this to set up? Where does the device hook-up to the Jag XK/XKR? What leads are needed if any from the ELM327 to the computer? Is it wireless?

I am new to this device meaning I am just starting to research.

Any info or photos of your set up would be helpful. I am seeking a basic understanding, if this device is something any car owner should have.

Here's the video I found, which appears to be quite impressive.

Thanks in advance for any responses that will help me as well as others.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

The OBDII port that the Bluetooth unit plugs into is under the dash somewhere (haven't had to find it yet) - I'm sure someone else will tell you.

The OBDII unit communicates with a phone, tablet or PC application (e.g. Torque) wirelessly using the low-power Bluetooth radio system - same thing used for wireless headsets, etc. The unit just send the raw data from the on-board diagnostics - it's the application that interprets it and displays it. The Bluetooth unit is just a replacement for a conventional OBDII cable.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

There are two types of ELM327 devices, one has a USB port and is for use typically with a Windows PC.

The other is wireless Bluetooth and is for use typically with an Android based device such as a smartphone or tablet.

"Torque' is probably the best program (app) for these devices and that is only available for the Bluetooth/Android version, though there are many free apps for the USB PC version.

If you have an old Android phone, you can use it with Torque even if the phone is deactivated. You can also buy Android tablets quite inexpensively these days that will run Torque on larger screen.

richzak (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I have this device and the full version of the Torque app. It's nice to play with for a little bit, but ultimately without individualized PIDs for Jaguar, there's not too much interesting stuff to look at--I think the most interesting thing I found was coolant temps, RPMs, and battery voltage (although I'm not sure where that's measured from)!

Basically you will need this device, an Android tablet or phone, and the app itself!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have this device and the full version of the Torque app. It's nice to play with for a little bit, but ultimately without individualized PIDs for Jaguar, there's not too much interesting stuff to look at--I think the most interesting thing I found was coolant temps, RPMs, and battery voltage (although I'm not sure where that's measured from)!

Basically you will need this device, an Android tablet or phone, and the app itself!
Fault codes for engine and some transmission faults are standardized and can be read.

Also if you search the forum for the tutorial on 'fuel trims', which are available over OBDII, you can learn how they can be used as a measure of how well your engine is running and help diagnose many faults.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
amcdonal86 (04-27-2014), richzak (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,175 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Steve,

Next project for your consideration (after the backup camera) is a Bluetooth Android display that looks OEM for ELM327/Torque. Perhaps it can fit over the touchscreen. In the meantime, I'll look for an inexpensive tablet to leave in my car.

That must be how the various displays in the new Corvette work - data off the OBDII port and a configuration app built in to the dashboard. And I thought this technology would be expensive. Not so!

Stuart

richzak (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Interestingly, I tried the ELM bluetooth device on my friend's 2000-ish Honda Civic, and the refresh rate is so much slower than it is with my '07 XKR. Probably once a second with his car, versus at least 2-3 times a second with the XKR.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

There are 3 versions: USB, BT & WiFi. Apple iThings tend to need the expensive WiFi one.

The refresh rate depends on a number of things, critically the OBD protocol. Some cars use ISO 9141-2 and it's s-l-o-w.

The main active item inside each ELM327 is a microcontroller that talks any of the common protocols over the DLC (your car's OBD II connector) and passes data to/from the host (Android or whatever) via USB/BT/WiFi.

If your car can do CAN then the refresh rate should be much higher.

WhiteXKR (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I just ordered a $25 wifi elm327 off Amazon to try with my iPhone and iPad. I'll probably buy the dashcommand app ($10) to go with it. I'll let you know how it works. There's a scantool wifi model due out in August that is supposed to be faster and have more features, like auto shutoff, ($100 pre-order) but I'll try a cheap one first.

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Scan Tool | OBD Interface | App Accelerator - ScanTool.net

Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hendercc
I just ordered a $25 wifi elm327 off Amazon to try with my iPhone and iPad. I'll probably buy the dashcommand app ($10) to go with it. I'll let you know how it works. There's a scantool wifi model due out in August that is supposed to be faster and have more features, like auto shutoff, ($100 pre-order) but I'll try a cheap one first.

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Scan Tool | OBD Interface | App Accelerator - ScanTool.net
That's the setup I bought a couple of months ago including dashcommand. I read somewhere to get the wifi and not the bluetooth. Works fine with both the iPhone and iPad. I got it primarily to monitor engine temp but have cleared a couple of codes with it. Inexpensive peace of mind...