XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Amplifier Problem, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amplifier Problem, can anyone help?

Hi folks, Im relatively new to the site, and i`m hoping someone can help out.
I have a beautiful 2000 XKR coüpe ,and while i love the sound she makes there are times when i would like to listen to something else. And here is the problem. When i first bought her the stereo worked fine ,then the CD changer jammed and so it has remained for the last year or so. (i did remove the fuse during this time)

I got around to repair it yesterday and now the changer works a treat.......but only when i connect it up directly with the power cable that is normally going to the amplifier. When i connect the changer to the amplifier and the power goes into the amplifier i get once the message CD NOT CONT. and then nothing more only radio frequencies.
I also have no sound when i insert a tape. Is my amp well and truely dead or is there hope???

Old 06-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

First I wonder if it is the head unit or the amp. I don't want to assume anything. Does anything produce sound from the speakers right now or with any modification you know of? If so, what?

Does the radio work = produces sound or just cycles through frequencies?

When you say CD works like a treat, need to ask: What exactly do you mean (What works, how do you know it is working, sound, cd/track selection, everything?)

CD player does it produce sound when you connect it to power cable? What exactly do you mean by connect to power cable vs connect to amp? You should probably define power cable for us we don't want to assume anything.

Does tape work if CD is disconnected?

If you feel like it, tell us about the power supply mods/trouble shooting you have been doing.

how did you fix the CD? Do you have a seperate power supply on a bench? Did you open it up?

I should ask: What makes you think it is an Amp problem?

These questions may seem really specific but I hope they help us get a better idea of your situation mate.

John

The following users liked this post:
hellokitty (06-12-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,990 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by hellokitty
Hi folks, Im relatively new to the site, and i`m hoping someone can help out.
I have a beautiful 2000 XKR coüpe ,and while i love the sound she makes there are times when i would like to listen to something else. And here is the problem. When i first bought her the stereo worked fine ,then the CD changer jammed and so it has remained for the last year or so. (i did remove the fuse during this time)

I got around to repair it yesterday and now the changer works a treat.......but only when i connect it up directly with the power cable that is normally going to the amplifier. When i connect the changer to the amplifier and the power goes into the amplifier i get once the message CD NOT CONT. and then nothing more only radio frequencies.
I also have no sound when i insert a tape. Is my amp well and truely dead or is there hope???
The only cable to the CD changer is the round Alpine AiNet cable which contains signal and power sufficient for low power devices like the CD changer.

The amplifier has a separate power feed, since it needs much more power. Have you checked the amplifier fuse? This is fuse number 18 in the trunk fusebox and is 30 amps.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The only cable to the CD changer is the round Alpine AiNet cable which contains signal and power sufficient for low power devices like the CD changer.

The amplifier has a separate power feed, since it needs much more power. Have you checked the amplifier fuse? This is fuse number 18 in the trunk fusebox and is 30 amps.
Mwah!!...i love you

i have sweet music, i went in search of fuse no. 18 and there it was Kaputt!, a new fuse and everything is working again, casette and CD .

one thing i dont understand though is, with the fuse dead how was i able to operate the CD changer before from the very same cable that is now powering the AMP & CD?? i have only one Ainet cable which plugs into the Amp and from the amp goes another Ainet to the CD ,are there two different power supplies in the one cable?

Anyway i`m very grateful THANKYOU!!
Nige

Old 06-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Your car is a Jaguar, so electrical mysteries are now a part of your daily life.
Your car is also a bit like your wife / girlfriend / mistress / partner. If you have done something - even if you are not sure what it was - that makes her / him function as designed - please don't try and analyse it, just be happy that you have what you want.
Tomorrow, you may get alternating "engine fault - gearbox fault" on the dashboard. That's the Jaguar equivalent of "Does my bum look OK in these jeans ?"
Be careful what you do next !!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 AM

OK Thanks for the tip. Have just returned from the Oxfam shop where i deposited all but one pair of my wifes jeans!!
hopefully that will make life easier for a while !!

DevonDavid (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,990 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by hellokitty
one thing i dont understand though is, with the fuse dead how was i able to operate the CD changer before from the very same cable that is now powering the AMP & CD?? i have only one Ainet cable which plugs into the Amp and from the amp goes another Ainet to the CD ,are there two different power supplies in the one cable?

Nige
Glad that fixed it Nigel. The amplifier uses many times the power of the CD changer, so it has its own dedicated power feed. The thin wires in the AI-Net cable are only sufficient to supply low power devices like the CD changer, so the amp only uses the signals in the AI-Net cable, not the power.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem - two occasions now where the radio/cd has stopped working -
both times after several days of heavy rains -
sometimes I get the "CD NOT CONT" message,
other times it will show the radio station info, but still no sound -
I feel like the problem must be related to moisture -
it now works intermittently and its been several days since the last rain -
thinkin about chasing the wires - any hints/guidance?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Your car is a Jaguar, so electrical mysteries are now a part of your daily life.
Your car is also a bit like your wife / girlfriend / mistress / partner. If you have done something - even if you are not sure what it was - that makes her / him function as designed - please don't try and analyse it, just be happy that you have what you want.
Tomorrow, you may get alternating "engine fault - gearbox fault" on the dashboard. That's the Jaguar equivalent of "Does my bum look OK in these jeans ?"
Be careful what you do next !!
Well Said...Don't forget that if she's really angry she will spit green fluid on you from the roof...

DevonDavid (11-24-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ETexJag
I have a similar problem - two occasions now where the radio/cd has stopped working -
both times after several days of heavy rains -
sometimes I get the "CD NOT CONT" message,
other times it will show the radio station info, but still no sound -
I feel like the problem must be related to moisture -
it now works intermittently and its been several days since the last rain -
thinkin about chasing the wires - any hints/guidance?
Hi ,if you think it's being affected by the rain then have you thought off taking the antenna fuse out, ... Worth a try,
Nige