XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light P0128

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Check engine light P0128

I know I live in Idaho and it's cold up here but today was relatively mild, high 60's. My check engine light came on after a stop light and about 10 minutes of driving. When I got home I checked the code and it's a P0128 which it describes as "Coolant thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)."

Just yesterday I topped off the coolant with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and the orange long life engine coolant as I was getting the coolant low msg in the message center. I can't help but think these are related.

Any ideas? The car runs fine, does this need a visit to the dealer?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Check engine light P0128

initial thought is the thermostat is stuck open and didn't have enough time to 'properly' come to temp before circulating your coolant. that will be more of a serious issue in colder months, so i wouldn't let it go too long w/ changing out the t-stat. It's a common problem, and at least it is open, and not closed..for the moment. But, a problematic t-stat may decide to stick the other way next time, which is 100x worse.

brutal or another tech can probably confirm. We don't hear many of those codes being thrown.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM

Good thought Matt, but the engine did warm up normally and held at the midpoint on the temp gauge. Maybe it was stuck open initially then started working?

Getting to the point where I won't be driving it much if at all during the winter anyway but I'll keep an eye on it.

I've decided to keep my code reader in the car because this car throws more check engine codes than any other car I've ever had. Keeps things exciting! Of course the Jag probably has more sensors than any other car I've ever had too! hehe

Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard British fighter pilots keep an ODBII scanner in their cockpit too! A Jag has similar systems to an aircraft...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

p0128 is very unusual for your car with the older style thermostat,vs newer with rubber disc that tears or comes loose that causes this code on newer V8s as it sticks slightly open. Now with yours a common trick on thermostat replacement is to pop ofthe brass check ball on the thermostat. This allows a small amount of coolant to circulate and readily allows trapped air out. another important this does is it keeps the lower hose from collapsing and this ends up working the hose off the the housing leaving you stranded. I also have never again replaced a modifyed thermostat again for over heating, but have done the standard ones repeatadly. so if yours has been modifyed like this it may be setting this code on you being in much colder weather than we see in Tx

Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM

Brutal, thanks for the response.

I don't suppose there is anyway to determine if this procedure has been performed without any disassembly?

I've received the codes on 2 separate occasions now but each time the car eventually warmed up to normal temp which is pegged right in the middle of the temp gauge. I'm keeping a close eye on it but so far it seems to be warming up normally.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: remosusa

I've heard British fighter pilots keep an ODBII scanner in their cockpit too! A Jag has similar systems to an aircraft...
Hehe... Thanks! Gave me a good chuckle, then I had to wonder... Do they really? You yankin my chain here

Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

THE COde is set from it lettingcoolant past too soon. Ive never seen it affect 1 in overheating, and no noticable change to the customer in time to warm up either...but it does keep setting that code till fixed cause the ecu knows the differance

Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar problem

Originally Posted by Brutal
p0128 is very unusual for your car with the older style thermostat,vs newer with rubber disc that tears or comes loose that causes this code on newer V8s as it sticks slightly open. Now with yours a common trick on thermostat replacement is to pop ofthe brass check ball on the thermostat. This allows a small amount of coolant to circulate and readily allows trapped air out. another important this does is it keeps the lower hose from collapsing and this ends up working the hose off the the housing leaving you stranded. I also have never again replaced a modifyed thermostat again for over heating, but have done the standard ones repeatadly. so if yours has been modifyed like this it may be setting this code on you being in much colder weather than we see in Tx
Good morning Brutal--My Jag is a 2006 S type with 4.2L and this code came on--my local mechanic (not dealership--none within a couple of hours drive) changed out the thermostat and housing and next day, same code again. I'm in Louisiana so same temps as Houston pretty much. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Or perhaps another sneaky one that is starting to pop up on these 10-15yo cars, and hinted at by OP . . .
Originally Posted by creativebush
. . . I was getting the coolant low msg in the message center. I can't help but think these are related.
It is now known that the coolant level sensor can trigger some weird (and false) faults ie intermittent msgs of "Low Coolant Level" even when topped to brim . . . sound familiar? Some have reported curing by reaching into reservoir and swabbing the sensor tip. However, in view of relatively low cost, majority drain, remove & replace with new.

May not be your issue but, in view of your earlier, repeated and apparently unresolved warnings . . . it's a no-brainer to check.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Ford
Good morning Brutal--My Jag is a 2006 S type with 4.2L and this code came on--my local mechanic (not dealership--none within a couple of hours drive) changed out the thermostat and housing and next day, same code again. I'm in Louisiana so same temps as Houston pretty much. Any ideas?

Thank you.
You've revived an 8 year old post in the XK8 section. Try starting a new post in the S-type section.

The following users liked this post:
grantorino62 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

+1 please do