XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the four roof hydraulic lines- stuck at the fittings, behind back seat!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Removing the four roof hydraulic lines- stuck at the fittings, behind back seat!

For those that have done this, I could really use some help. Hoping to tackle with plenty of beer this Father's Day weekend once and for all. My Jag has been down for almost two months because of this and the withdrawals are really setting in! Especially after I saw two other black/black X100 XKRs on the road yesterday. *looked on longingly*

1. How did you remove the passenger side roof ram bottom hose fitting without messing up the metal hose that goes into it from the very bottom of the ram? This is the one that looks more like a pinch fitting than a bolt.
2. How did you remove the two hoses from the driver's side roof ram once disconnected? I can't see what needs to be removed behind the backseat area to pull them out, but they're certainly not just laying back there where I can simply pull them out. They're stuck under the carpeted area?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

[QUOTE=Sentinelist;754391]For those that have done this, I could really use some help. Hoping to tackle with plenty of beer this Father's Day weekend once and for all. My Jag has been down for almost two months because of this and the withdrawals are really setting in! Especially after I saw two other black/black X100 XKRs on the road yesterday. *looked on longingly*

1. How did you remove the passenger side roof ram bottom hose fitting without messing up the metal hose that goes into it from the very bottom of the ram? This is the one that looks more like a pinch fitting than a bolt.
2. How did you remove the two hoses from the driver's side roof ram once disconnected? I can't see what needs to be removed behind the backseat area to pull them out, but they're certainly not just laying back there where I can simply pull them out. They're stuck under the carpeted area?

I did this job in January this year - fairly straightforward - just time consuming. Have you removed the rear speaker covers and mounting bars on both sides? The hoses to the driver's side ram (I'm assuming you are LHD) run under the parcel shelf - it just lifts up but you have to crawl in the back whilst the hood is up. All four hoses(and the two ram hoses) route through a foam grommet in the rear bulkhead in line with the front of the pump.

I'm not quite sure why you would have trouble removing the hose on the pass. side - if the speaker and mounting stuff is out of the way you can easily get to the fitting as far as I remember - can you post a picture?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Ok thanks. Yes I removed the speaker boxes and the metal brace on the driver's side- was able to get the box out from the passenger side with it intact. There are photos I posted in another thread initially for the overall job but just hoping to get some quick specific help on this item for this thread. Will update the other at the end!

You were right- I got at the hoses relatively easily once I removed the carpet, it really does just pull right up. There are a few black plastic zipties that have to be clipped to pull them all the way out (I just cut the lines so I didn't have to pull the metal fasteners on their ends through the bulkhead hole).

There is a small nut on that fitting I was talking about that I only saw after taking a photo of it with a flash, and I couldn't get it undone. At this point, I'm giving up and taking the rams out too to have them rebuilt for good measure... also notice that nasty twist on the tiny metal hose pipe at the bottom of it. Not going to screw with those next, so might as well while I'm in here. Now I just have to figure out how to get them out/unclip them at the top. Searching this next...

Attached Thumbnails Removing the four roof hydraulic lines- stuck at the fittings, behind back seat!-9051016303_3b23835550_b.jpg   Removing the four roof hydraulic lines- stuck at the fittings, behind back seat!-9053233608_ec0fc37e93_b.jpg   Removing the four roof hydraulic lines- stuck at the fittings, behind back seat!-9053239486_0255ef10b9_b.jpg  

Last edited by Sentinelist; 06-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

the passenger side lower hose is just clipped on - I used a small jewelers screwdriver and placed it between the bottom of the clip and the ram and just popped the clip off. You should still be able to pop the clip off and use it to attach the new hose

Attached Thumbnails Removing the four roof hydraulic lines- stuck at the fittings, behind back seat!-img084.jpg  

Last edited by sklimii; 06-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
b6283 (09-23-2014)
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Chris - were you able to get the hoses swapped out?

The following users liked this post:
Sentinelist (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks- yes I did, at least taken out to be shipped tp Top Hydraulics. I went ahead and left that clip on (they needed one as a core anyway) and decided to ship the rams in for rebuilding while I'm at it as well. Just went out today via FedEx, will hopefully hear more back at the end of the week.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While trying to get this clip off, I pried down with a pointed tool. The clip popped off and flew across the garage. I heard it bouncing of the walls but didn't see it land and have no idea where to find it. Do you know of another source for the clip? I'll call the Jaguar dealer tomorrow but I'm concerned that they will want to sell me a new car instead.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by khaskins
While trying to get this clip off, I pried down with a pointed tool. The clip popped off and flew across the garage. I heard it bouncing of the walls but didn't see it land and have no idea where to find it. Do you know of another source for the clip? I'll call the Jaguar dealer tomorrow but I'm concerned that they will want to sell me a new car instead.
I would imagine shops that have swapped hydraulics lines on Jags a few times would be likely candidates to have a spare or two. I bought new original rams - just a bit more than a rebuild at GBP 170 - and the pass one came with a new clip.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
the passenger side lower hose is just clipped on - I used a small jewelers screwdriver and placed it between the bottom of the clip and the ram and just popped the clip off. You should still be able to pop the clip off and use it to attach the new hose

Removed my ram lifts today to ship for rebuilding and was confused by this enough to search the forum for an answer - Thanks!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tried contacting several repair shops

Originally Posted by Artigiano
I would imagine shops that have swapped hydraulics lines on Jags a few times would be likely candidates to have a spare or two. I bought new original rams - just a bit more than a rebuild at GBP 170 - and the pass one came with a new clip.
And the service department at the Jag dealership. No one had the clip. Fortunately Top Hydraulic sent me one.

The dealership had the clip but I had to buy a pack of 8 for $188.00.