General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wrong VIN number on chassis.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wrong VIN number on chassis.

Hello,

I've bought an XJ-SC in California. The car is now in Belgium but I'm facing an issue with the VIN number! Let me explain, I've on the Carfax, Title, door sticker, boot and trunk stickers and front window a VIN number, this is the same!

BUT the VIN number written on the cowl/firewall panel where the two fender braces come together is different!?

Do you know what is the explanation for that? Because I've an issue to register the car in Belgium.

Thx
yA

Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Completely different or a different/illegible single character in the VIN string?

Graham

Old 07-05-2014, 06:29 AM

The original vin is

SAJ NV3847 HCxxxxxx (xxxxx are the same)

According to VIN decode,

N --> XJS
V --> Manual active
3 --> ?? Body type
8 --> 5.3L
4 --> Automatic
7 --> Check digit

On the chassis.

SAJ JNVCV4 HCxxxxxx

J --> ?? Not existing ??
N --> Dual airbag canada ??
V --> ?? Body type ?? must be a number ??
C --> ?? Must be a number !!?
V --> ?? Must be a number !!?
4 --> Check digit

In fact the VDS (vehicle descriptor section) is completely wrong?

yA

Last edited by yellowapple; 07-05-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Completely normal situation.

The VIN on the firewall is the what I call the 'born with' VIN. It uses a format that meets Jaguar requirements/preferences. However, it does not comply with *USA/North American* legal requirements and it 'won't compute' using a VIN decoder set up for USA/North American VINs.

To come into compliance, cars destined for the USA/North American market were assigned a second VIN....the one that you have on the windshield, door stickers, etc.

If you're haveing a problem with the Belgium authorities I'm sure that Jaguar can provide a letter or some sort of documentation to satisfy them.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Hello Doug,

Thank you for this information, is it the case for all imported cars or only related to Jag at that period of time? A more recent car is also facing the same double VIN identification? I'm asking because I just bought a DB7, the car is on the water and like it is a more recent car, it'll be worst

I still have a question VIN is, since 1981 an ISO standard which means that manufacturers should use the same syntax!??

Finally, VIN is also used in Belgium and the "born with" is absolutely not readable by local decoder?

Concerning your last remark, according to the Belgium authorities, the only way to solve this issue is to ask Jaguar to erase and retype the VIN on the chassis.

Cheers,
yA

Last edited by yellowapple; 07-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by yellowapple
.......... according to the Belgium authorities, the only way to solve this issue is to ask Jaguar to erase and retype the VIN on the chassis.
I think there will be very little chance of that happening. However, there is more hope that Jaguar could provide documentary proof that the two VIN's relate to the same vehicle.

I've asked our contact at Jaguar CRC in the UK to look at this thread and see if he can help.

Graham

Old 07-05-2014, 01:28 PM

Hello Graham,

Thank you in advance for that.
Retyping VIN is common in Belgium but need of course a green light from Jaguar.

Cheers,

yA

Old 07-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hello Doug,

Thank you for this information, is it the case for all imported cars or only related to Jag at that period of time? A more recent car is also facing the same double VIN identification? I'm asking because I just bought a DB7, the car is on the water and like it is a more recent car, it'll be worst

I don't know how common it is in the grand scheme of things. I've seen the same situation and some Ferraris and Roll Royces as well, though, so it goes beyond just Jaguar.

I still have a question VIN is, since 1981 an ISO standard which means that manufacturers should use the same syntax!??

I'm no authority on these matters but my limited reaseach reveals there are/were at least four different ISO VIN conventions in use.....

Finally, VIN is also used in Belgium and the "born with" is absolutely not readable by local decoder?

I'm not surprised.

Jaguar service and or parts manuals are probably the best way to decode the 'born with' VIN. A USA/North American decoder 'should' work on the #2 issued VIN.

Concerning your last remark, according to the Belgium authorities, the only way to solve this issue is to ask Jaguar to erase and retype the VIN on the chassis.

Cheers,
yA

That seems unreasonable to me but...what do I know?

In the USA the procedure would typically be installation of a supplemental VIN tag/placard with the newly assigned VIN. That, at least, is what I've always seen on grey-market imports.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I have a 1984 Belgian or Swiss XJ6 that is considered a 'GREY-MARKET' import and it has the EXACT same 'sort-of-mis-matching' VID number (VIN).

Jaguar mostly uses the 'last 6 of the VIN' so as long as that matches I don't see a problem. (but I am not a government bureaucrat!!!)

bob gauff

Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Year and years ago, when I bought my first Jag, a State Patrolman explained the situation to me.

At the time there was a Washington state requirement that cars coming in from another state (California in this case) must have the VIN verified. The WSP--Washington State Patrol--was assigned responsibility for this task.

Anyhow.....

The patrolman (patrolwoman, actually) checked the windshield tag and door tag and then asked me to open the hood so the cowl stamping could be checked as well. She was no stranger to old Jags, apparently. When I asked about the mismatch she explained the whole story. She seemed to shrug it off and perfectly routine and common.

Obviously a similar inspector in Europe might not be personally familiar with the 'two VIN' scheme but I can't imagine the matter being too difficult to iron out, given that the explanation is 100% true and legitimate. I have a sense that a lower level bureaucrat has developed a bit too much swagger and is making things needlessly difficult.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you still have a problem you might want to see if you can contact a local member of IAATI in your country….they are usually law enforcement or DMV employees that are specialized in VIN cases…. look at IAATI-Homepage - iaati.org they can get you someone that is a member in your area to help and explain to the DMV counter people that really don't understand the ins and outs of some of the secondary VIN #'s and how the one on dash is unique to cars destined for US sales….which have a complicated mathematical check digit which needs to conform to US standards… I really think they can help you…..Good luck.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:02 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hello yellowapple,

I have been pointed in this direction by GGG.

If you PM me both the VIN's along with contact details for yourself I can get someone to look into this for you.

Many Thanks

Mike

Hello,

I've bought an XJ-SC in California. The car is now in Belgium but I'm facing an issue with the VIN number! Let me explain, I've on the Carfax, Title, door sticker, boot and trunk stickers and front window a VIN number, this is the same!

BUT the VIN number written on the cowl/firewall panel where the two fender braces come together is different!?

Do you know what is the explanation for that? Because I've an issue to register the car in Belgium.

Thx
yA

The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-12-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your message, PM sent.

yA

Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Do you have or can you find the build sheet for the car?

I had a LR Disco 2 with the same issue; the build sheet had, most conveniently, the VIN and a VID/Chassis number, which matched the appropriate numbers.

The second trooper to look at my chassis went right to a spot on the frame, where he showed be a SECOND tag installed at Solihull that had the assigned VIN. He explained that on a framed vehicle, the rolling chassis and the body don't necessarily happen at the same time; they're built separately and eventually come together. Most manufacturers tag the frame with the matching VIN when they meet.

I am unsure if your car is unit body or on a frame, but if it happened at LR, I'm sure it happened at Jaguar. I'm also willing to wager a pint that there is a factory-affixed tag with the matching VIN on the underside of your car, despite the petty bureaucrat's confusion!

Bon chance!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your message, PM sent.

yA
Let us know how it goes Y.A.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Dear all,

Following the PM sent to Mike, I've received a call from the Belgium Jaguar import confirming that the numbers are matching the same car. I'll go tomorrow to Jaguar with all documents and ask to re-type the VIN on the chassis.

In the meantime I've asked for the heritage certificate to Jdht and have received the certificate two days ago. On this document you can find a remark close to the US VIN number explaining that a second number exist on the chassis.

I'll keep in informed, one week is necessary to get the clearance from Jag

Thank you all for your messages and special thanks to Mike for the help./

Cheers,
yA

The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 PM
GGG

Good to hear you are making progress and my thanks also to Mike (Mike@Jaguar) for his help.

Graham