Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diy - door pannel removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diy - door pannel removal

PASSENGER SIDE FRONT DOOR.

1. Remove round plastic cover that is in the door pull handle, this reveals a screw. remove this screw, there are 2 more in the bottom edge of the pannel, remove these. also i removed the red light cover just for a little extra spot to grab on to later on.

2. Start in the bottom right corner, use a flathead screwdriver and make enough room to get your fingers in there. now PULL...you will here a push plug releasing the pannel. work your way allong the bottom edge towards the front of the car.
this should release only the bottom edge of the pannel. it should flap around a little.

3. grab the bottom edge of the pannel that you just released in step 2, pull lightly out towards you and lift up. you will here a slight POP. you just pushed the clip release button ..if the pannel isnt already free..wiggle it a little and yer done.

this should only take 5-10 min.

SPEAKER REPAIR - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22696

Attached Thumbnails Diy - door pannel removal-frnt_dr-pannel.jpg   Diy - door pannel removal-step3-pic.jpg   Diy - door pannel removal-step-3-pic-pannel.jpg  

Last edited by ghettomike; 08-17-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: ADD LINK
Old 03-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth noting that the main plastic moulding which is removed is very thin in the area of the plastic fasteners. It is essential to put the pressure on the fasteners when removing the door panel otherwise it is very easy to locally crack or break the main moulding.

I recently removed mine due to a rattle and found 5 of the fastener moulding areas broken or cracked. (FJSH)

If you find this is the case then hot melt glue is a good method to re-attaching the fractured parts or as I did strengthening the webs at the weakest areas.

I think the main moulding is made of polypropylene (PP) and if so epoxy (araldite) or superglue (cyanoacrylate) will not adhere sufficiently.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I love it!!!

Originally Posted by TGK711
It's worth noting that the main plastic moulding which is removed is very thin in the area of the plastic fasteners. It is essential to put the pressure on the fasteners when removing the door panel otherwise it is very easy to locally crack or break the main moulding.

I recently removed mine due to a rattle and found 5 of the fastener moulding areas broken or cracked. (FJSH)

If you find this is the case then hot melt glue is a good method to re-attaching the fractured parts or as I did strengthening the webs at the weakest areas.

I think the main moulding is made of polypropylene (PP) and if so epoxy (araldite) or superglue (cyanoacrylate) will not adhere sufficiently.
TGK711 is absolutely correct. The depth of the fastener points make it difficult to remove the panel without damaging the clip retaining points on the panel making reinstallation nearly impossible. Nearly all commercial panel removal tools dont have the required depth to properly reach the clips. I use the 18" Snap-On tool for these panels but I see plenty that have already been broken by an experienced tech. Hot melt is probably the best, most durable method but I haven't seen any repair that will withstand another removal of the panel without breaking. The repair will hold the panel in place without looseness or rattles but I would be prepared to make the same repair again if the panel is removed again.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what jag was thinking with these self destructing clips?
It is not that uncommon to have to remove a door panel during the life of any vehicle.

I cant imagine that they tested, (and passed the test) re&re of the door panel.

Funny these high end cars claim extra engineering as part of the high cost. But sometimes they skip the basics.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

I don't have a problem with the easily replaceable fasteners breaking, but when the main moulding breaks first that's another thing altogether. If the main moulding is polypropylene then its a very tough, light weight, easy flowing and cheap polymer. The problem is that the wall thickness in the area of the fastener is very thin and obviously not able to cope with the stress of the panel being removed by simply pulling the panel.

One solution suggested is to take an old kitchen fork and bend the inner two tangs outwards to just fit the diameter of the fasteners. The tool created can then be used to prise the fasteners off instead of applying force to the main moulding. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems feasible.

I have a broken speaker grille so will be removing a panel to do this and will try the fork method. Will report back on it's effectiveness.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy
I wonder what jag was thinking with these self destructing clips?
It is not that uncommon to have to remove a door panel during the life of any vehicle.

I cant imagine that they tested, (and passed the test) re&re of the door panel.

Funny these high end cars claim extra engineering as part of the high cost. But sometimes they skip the basics.
Before settling down with Jaguar I worked as an independent and serviced any vehicle on the road for many years. Weak door panel clips are normal operation across the board. The real problem is that most manufacturers design the clip to break not the door panel. If you want to hear something really sad, that cracked speaker grill TGK711 is trying to replace isn't available seperately from the $1500 U.S. door panel.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Smile Sourced new (old stock) speaker grills

Just struck lucky! A local chap was selling 4 new Jag X/S Type speaker grills in the colour I need, on ebay. Winning bid of £12.50 a lot cheaper than the £600 I was quoted for a new door card. In fact the the Jag storeman laughed when he heard the cost.

I'll ask where he managed to obtain them, although it sounds like he's had them for some time. [He originally bought for his XJS]

Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the walkthrough OP, had it off in 3 mins to fix my blown speaker and I didn't break a single plastic pin. Awesome.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 AM

still can not see pics, had to find another forum, even though i clicked the validation link it always shows up with you did not have permision to view this.. your account is awaiting validation

Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

A guy on the UK forum did a walkthrough of how to upgrade the base speaker grilles (no chrome surround) to the premium (with chrome rings) using hot glue melt sticks.
When I upgraded my X type to premium sound I bought 4 door cards from ebay for £20 (guy had been trying to sell them for ages) only for the grilles with chrome surrounds but as the cards were the wrong colour (needed cranberry) the guys doing the upgrade swapped over the grilles following the instructions on the UK site I printed off.
Went to council dump to dispose of the (now mutilated) door cards that had the grilles removed and threw one in the skip then realised they all had door clips on them so I removed them just incase for future use.
If they're the same as the XJ they will be handy to have

Last edited by BuckMR2; 04-04-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 AM

well it is suprising really as a lot of the X types little pieces were knicked out of fords, that ford do not make these clips... unless they do, I have checked (focus pre 2002) (fiesta pre 2004) and they use different clips...

I defo thought the clips would be a shared part, but well it does not look that way as the focus and fiesta (uk spec cars) dont have them..

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey guys, i didnt realize i didnt put in the back door panels as well, so here it is.
the backs were much harder to remove, you have to pull, push and yank them like crazy, but make sure you dont snap anything. lol good luck!!

Attached Thumbnails Diy - door pannel removal-img00599-20090817-1043.jpg   Diy - door pannel removal-img00598-20090817-1043.jpg   Diy - door pannel removal-img00600-20090817-1043.jpg   Diy - door pannel removal-img00606-20090817-1044.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (05-22-2014)
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 AM

Cant see images?? please explain what I have to do to see them??

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I can see them from my work computer, which typically blocks almost all photos. So are you logging in from work and perhaps there are restrictions on your photo viewing?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 AM

when I click on image links, I get this message

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Dont think thats a viewing issue at my end.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey, please check out the link below :
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22253

You also should have got a welcoming pm about this
Thanks