XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers

Anybody got a line on aftermarket mufflers or mufflers off another car that will fit in place. Like to pick up new ones from local parts store but OEM are lioke 350 apiece. Can get cheaper online but then shipping adds up. Any help be great.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

its a pity you are not in u/k as i have full system done less than 100 miles before having to scrap " stripping for parts at home that is" but luck in finding what you are looking for

Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They are a Ford muffler just replaced mine at $53.00 each from Napa Auto Parts.
I don't recall the number but they have a book so we just matched the inlet/outlet and total lenght, what I did do was order the offset in and out but the job would have been easier if I;d have got the in and out pipes straight through..

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (03-23-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Simprof
I don't recall the number but they have a book so we just matched the inlet/outlet and total lenght, what I did do was order the offset in and out but the job would have been easier if I;d have got the in and out pipes straight through..
any chance you have the receipt with the part number on it? Are both mufflers the same part?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

They are a Ford muffler?

Or you were able to find a Ford muffler that was close enough to fit?

Not quite the same thing

Cheers
DD

Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Thumbs up

This is true Doug but I don't see a problem do you?

The old muffler i took off had a serial number on it as did the other side and the one we put one had the very same number. So to be honest mate who cares it's not like these cars are worth a lot so what fits and works and does the job would be fine with me. It's not an issue for me anymore as I got rid of the car a couple of months ago.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

This is true Doug but I don't see a problem do you?

The old muffler i took off had a serial number on it as did the other side and the one we put one had the very same number. So to be honest mate who cares it's not like these cars are worth a lot so what fits and works and does the job would be fine with me. It's not an issue for me anymore as I got rid of the car a couple of months ago.

If it's the *same* muffler for a smaller price, I'm all for it, believe me ! However, in your own posting it sounds as though there was a fitment problem and you wish you had made a different choice. If that's the case then the bargain price might lose a bit of gloss for some of us.

I might add that mufflers *appearing* the same externally might not be the same *internally*.

Mufflers are generally a boring subject but some of us do care about the details....even on cars that don't have a high market value.

I didn't mean to sound argumentative in my previous posting, sorry.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM

Me either Doug yes you are right I did have some issues fitting it but it was not the muffler it was the "S" bend piece that allows it to exit the back of the car in the correct location. I wend to the local shop the get them to bend a the piece for me but they were unable to get it tight enough to fit. That's all it was. I am not belittleing the cars at all I grow up in the UK and love them but will not pay hundreds of dollars for a OEM muffler that will rust as fast as one that fits has the same serial number on it for a 1/4 of the price. I'm sorry as well mate did not mean to be argumentative either.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

All's well

Cheers
DD

Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Since I've read that the rear mufflers don't really do much, maybe I'll just use a couple stainless glass pack mufflers. I can get both for less than the cost of a replacement/OEM, and the system would still be somewhat balanced. With the 3-5k miles a year this car will see, that should work out well for a while.

Of course, if I can't repair that rear y-pipe, the whole rear system might get reworked.