XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

If the car has a light tan interior, I need the driver door opening felt that surrounds the opening. It simply pulls away from the body. Some call it a pinch welt. Thanks. I'm in Stockton Ca,

Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by grantorino62
If the car has a light tan interior, I need the driver door opening felt that surrounds the opening. It simply pulls away from the body. Some call it a pinch welt. Thanks. I'm in Stockton Ca,
I'm unsure whether the junk car is Oatmeal or Cashmere, what interior code is your car?
I'm also unsure which part you need, do you have a part number, and/or micro-fische diagram showing the part?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Would they have the center brake light? What condition is it in? Mine crumbled in my hand.
Thanks.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

I checked the center brake light while I was there and it is solid and looks to be in good condition.

https://parts.whiteallenjaguar.com/v...gh-mount-lamps

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 02-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
I checked the center brake light while I was there and it is solid and looks to be in good condition.

https://parts.whiteallenjaguar.com/v...gh-mount-lamps
Any idea on pricing?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by larney
Any idea on pricing?
Pick-n-Pull quotes $16.99 plus tax..........
Pick-n-Pull » Part Pricing @ Pick-n-Pull - Redding

Old 02-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
2nd Shop : https://www.carrawaycollisionfabdesign.com/
$3000-3500 w/ a 2 week turn around time, this guy has 5 star reviews all across the board & deals w/ a lot of older vehicle restorations. He doesn't advertise & I found him by talking with a guy driving an immaculate 57 Corvette whom used his services, that car's paint was flawless to my eye.

I'm going to meet the 2nd shop guy in person tomorrow & will get a chance to see his facilities & get a better "feel" for him. Thus far he's been very impressive & is genuinely passionate when speaking about cars. My normal paint guy is a younger head & he always seems like it's a chore to paint, so that's a deterrent along w/ his turn around time.
Met the 2nd shop guy today,clean shop, he showed me the prep-work for his current project, a respray & it looked surgical. He's genuinely passionate about his work & excited to work on the Jag. He's my guy !

Old 02-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

I think I know what trim you need, the felt one that runs around the door opening on the body, and is trapped by the kick-plate at the bottom of the door opening?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Worked on the driver's door of my 2003 XJR today. Fixed the broken door stay(?) - not sure on the name. Was a pretty easy fix, with a bit of ugly stick welding and adding some washers to spread the compression of the door tin which was pretty thrashed.

The next was the lock/latch. I discovered I had the common broken cable issue. What a brutal design!! I ordered a new cable and I have no idea how I'm gonna get it into place with it attaching on the blind side inside the door. We'll see how that goes...

Also finished the paint correction, to the degree that I was content anyway. The car had bad clear coat failure, so I just wet sanded it away to expose what I believe it black primer in those locations. Luckily the car is anthracite, so I can live with it till I get the whole thing repainted next year.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Yep! I'll get the trim code tomorrow it's raining now.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yep! I'll get the trim code tomorrow it's raining now.
And, I'm not sure but I think they are all the same color regardless of inside trim color. I have the ivory interior, but that trim piece looks like it is a color that would match any of the interior colors?

Old 02-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like the door welts are available, in the various colors, and are not expensive new............
https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/p...iagram=4721365

Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Replaced the again-blown KYB shocks with Bilstein sports. Drivers side was a little pesky and I had to drop the sway link to zing the nut off and then tap the bolt out. Passenger side I was able to do it without that step. Was about 40 minutes for side one, 15 for the second side. And I discovered that I have play in the passenger side tie rod end, which also happens to have a ripped boot. Joy for me! But at least I won't be bouncing down the road again on the way to work. I still need to replace the passenger rear assembly again, it has a little wobble in it. Thankfully I have another spare to go, but in light of it being Super Bowl Sunday, and I've been working 65+ hour weeks with today being the only day off, I'm going to save that until next Sunday, weather permitting. I don't want today to feel like it wasn't a day off

Old 02-10-2019, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I’ve been busy with other things, and haven’t posted for a while. My XJ hasn’t been used much since Christmas, but last week I had to press her into service as a daily driver due to suspension damage on my Ford I use for biffing about. I’m still unsure whether or not I’m going to keep this car much longer, she’s got a few problems which I’ll list below.

1) Front & Rear shock absorbers need replacement. Not really a comfortable ride in this car currently.
2) Catalytic converters require replacement, I’ve replaced 02 sensors and still get codes so it’s the cats.
3) Parking sensors have stopped working and do the long beep when engaged. Hoping it’s just a sensor.
4) Driver’s seat base is rock hard and uncomfortable. I’m hoping the replacement foam I have will fix.
5) Memory functionality seems to have got lost on the mirrors, no longer dips in reverse or adjusts with memory switches.
6) Front tyres require replacement soon,
7) The mysterious noise from the rear that overshadowed and ruined my trip to Belgium at Christmas.
8) New battery required.

I’m not sure which way to go yet, there’s well over £1000 worth of work required. I love these cars but I’m not sure it’s feasible for me to keep one as a long distance driver. For now I’ve taken the car off the road whilst I make a decision, but I may be looking towards selling the car in the Springtime.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

My son's latest hobby is creating personalized crystal LED lit USB drives, I had him make me a green lit Jaguar 32 GB zip. Call me pedantic but the blue lit one I have in my head unit now irks me lol. This should do nicely w/ the green motif. Although my son needs to work on centering his text better. Below is a pic of it lit in my laptop, I'll snap one in the head unit soon. Actually a quality piece of work if I do say so myself.

Quick snapshot of in the head unit

My son's progressed to the leaper logo. I like them but his setting up my den table as his laser engraving station is getting old now lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 02-11-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 AM

Latest look great! Hopefully he has an Etsy store or something and can put his talents to profit!

Waiting on SafeLite to get here to replace my windshield at work this morning. Was originally scheduled for Friday but we had high winds and apparently it cost them $700 for the windshield and they didn't want to drop it or have it fall off the stands. Supposed to be here around 11 AM, so fingers crossed there. Then just waiting on the tie rod end that should be delivered tomorrow, and finding time to replace that in the middle of a 70+ hour work week in the cold, snow, and dark. I really need to move lol

Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

No sooner than I scour the web for months to find my proper half wood wheel, an even rarer full wood wheel surfaces. Decisions,decisions lol.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Blew out the right rear tire on the way to work this morning. Managed to get the spare to FINALLY seat the bead again after countless bounces around the pavement after the prior issue. At least long enough to get to work. Where I now sit as there's a snowstorm coming through. Finding tires even close in size locally is a nightmare, and given my track record with this space saver, I'm inclined to just move into the building here for a while...

Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ordered a mint condition chrome front bumper splitter/vane.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Ordered a mint condition chrome front bumper splitter/vane.
I have both the chrome and body color, I can't make my mind up which one I prefer!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?