XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank drain plugs, Series 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel tank drain plugs, Series 1

Draining the tanks on my 1973 series 1. The very bottom plug appears to be 2 plugs really, one nested inside the other. I can easily remove the inner drain plug, which is around a 3/8 daimeter thread. The outer plug will not budge (is it perhaps a RH thread?). Looking at the parts diagrams for this fuel tank, it looks like this outer plug has a filter screen above it. I naturally would like to remove this screen so I cal rinse any sludge out of the tank. I am afraid to twist too hard on this plug, fearing I may cause a leak in the tank somwhere, because I can see it flexing as I pull the wrench. Any advice on these plugs?

ps. I am not going to remove the tanks at this point in time. I just plan to drain the old fuel, swish out the crap with some gas/carb cleaner mix, then put it back in service.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Soak the plug with PB Blaster or other type

It is definitely rusted shut...maybe you can get it loose by soaking repeatedly
externally with rust removers...Kroil Oil, Liquid Wrench etc.

If you are willing to drain the tank, put the little drain plug back in and
add a large amount of the rust remover into the filler cap...let it soak
for a couple of days..maybe, if you ARE REALLY LUCKY, the large cap will come loose.

Taking out the tank is really not a big deal...replacing with new tank is the
best way, but new tanks for S1 are not available and you will have to adapt
a S2 or S3 tank and their different fuel senders.

Been there, done all that several times...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Ok, I will start soaking it. I would love to remove the tanks and get them flushed, and it doesnt seem too hard. They are both full to the filler cap with fuel so I know they are not leaking. Anyway, I am doing the revitalization in a parking lot. I think taking the tanks off is a bit beyond what I can do (or want to do) in a parking lot! Fingers will be crossed that I can get the plugs out and do a proper improper flushing.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 PM

So maybe I jumped the gun complaining about this plug. I went back to the car and tried again, it didn't budge. So I went over to the passenger side tank (which I had not started working on yet), gave it a yank, and the plug came loose easily. Hmmm...back to the driver side....one solid strong yank on the wrench and the plug came loose! There was some scale and about 1/8" of sludge on the top of the plug, not as bad as I expected. It looks like that filter screen is threaded on? Roger do you know? I think I need a deep 1" socket, which I do not have, to unscrew the filter screen. I cant get a good look at it.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default No knowledge of Jaguar filter screen

None of my Jaguar tanks have ever had a screen...I use multiple clear filters - one before the fuel pump for each tank and one after the pump - instead.

So I have no knowledge of what is required to remove one...when I took out the one in my Ford truck, it was just a press on fit...I replaced it as they are
available.

I use nothing Jaguar in the fuel systems of my cars...only after market switching valves etc..easier to find locally and they work 100% of the time - plus they were designed and manufactured recently....

Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok...I'm confused. I've not used the passenger side tank on my SIII yet. I've owned the car for 3 months and the previous owner didn't use it either, how long or what's in it? No clue.
Now, CATpart says both tanks are full to the filler cap, yet he's able to take the plugs out with no biblical rush of fuel coming out. Is this possible? Or was the fuel drained without mention. I'd love to look in my passenger tank, but have no idea how much of what ever is in there....

Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin1960
Ok...I'm confused. I've not used the passenger side tank on my SIII yet. I've owned the car for 3 months and the previous owner didn't use it either, how long or what's in it? No clue.
Now, CATpart says both tanks are full to the filler cap, yet he's able to take the plugs out with no biblical rush of fuel coming out. Is this possible? Or was the fuel drained without mention. I'd love to look in my passenger tank, but have no idea how much of what ever is in there....

I think it is safe to assume it was drained... In a Series III - I can tell you for certain once you drop the center sump - it will drain. It really is not that difficult. Remove the rear panel, pull the sump. Check out my album - dropping saddle tanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Way back when, I removed the fuel from both of mine. That was after the engine disaster near Stockton, CA in the midst of the heat!! of course, I had just topped off both tanks for the journey home as my work there was done.

Twas a flood of biblical proportions. Although, I thought I was prepared for it, naah, inadequate!! The garage floor got a clean up!! I did sweat as I dried it!!! just a spark and whoosh!!

Glad I did, but actually I found little or no debris in either tank!!!

So my fresh engine got fresh fuel five years later!!! It took that long to carry out the lump process!!! I was an entrepreneur then and long hours were the norm. Just a few on Saturdays to the Jaguar. Good stress relief as I resolved issue after issue.

Now, I am retired and literaly enjoying the fruits of my labors!!

Or just changed two occupations to several. Massive yard clean up now in progress.

Carl

Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahabian, how do I get to your album?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Marvin,
My first step was to fully drain the driver side tank. I did this by attaching a longer hose at the fuel pump inlet. You can crimp the hoses at the fuel pump when doing this and it keeps the mess small. I was able to keep the hose outlet below the tank, so it basically siphoned 99% of the fuel out of the tank (because the pickup in the tank is so low). I say "siphoned" because the fuel had to go up over the trunk threshold, then back down into the container. Once the siphon stopped, I removed the inner drain plug, and honestly, maybe a final pint of fuel came out. So in the end this was a no-mess way to drain the tank. Then my problem started with the outer drain plug, and I started this thread.

As far as the passnger tank goes, it was and still is full! All I did was turn the plug about 1/8 of a turn, just enough to see if it would move, hopefully without leaking any fuel, which it did not. I may not drain it. I may just disconnect it for now.

Disposing of fuel the EPA way, I figure I should mention this for those who may be interested. Really the most challenging part is finding containers that will hold fuel, but then you have to leave those containers at the landfill. I ended up visiting a bunch of restaraunts and got some 4 gallon cooking oil jugs that they normally throw in the trash. At the landfill they put your jugs, jug and all, into 50 gallon drums. Then they take it to the incinerator, goodbye old gas, goodbye jug. My local landfill will accept up to 15 gallons per day of fuel from any one individual. Anything more than 5 gallons requires an appointment for drop off. They also warned, transporting more than 15 gallons of waste fuel per day requires a license to transport hazardous materials.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin1960
Ahabian, how do I get to your album?

Click on "Photo's: above - and in the search line type in "Saddle Tanks"...

Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It is still a combustible fuel!!! perhaps a bit dirty, but has a purpose. I sued mine in two ways.

1. As a supplement to the Stoddard Solvent in my parts washing tank. Not he best of choices as it raised the flammability point.

2. I gave some to my son and he used it in one of his critters! An older 318 CI powered Dodge pickup. Ate it with gusto.

Today, I'd add two cycle oil and user it in a yard critter.

We have a recycle center that accepts old oil and fuel, Trouble is they want to keep the containers. Old bleach and soap bottles OK for used oil. Gas, I dunno! I do have a pair of cruddy oil safety cans. They may get them.

Carl

Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Hey Carl, I even went as far as posting an ad on craigs list "free 24 gallons of gas" and nobody wanted it. Actually one guy wanted it but he never showed up. I feel bad sending it to the landfill, it seems it could somehow be used for good instead of evil.

A note on the containers, so far the restaurant oil jjugs are holding up just fine, sitting for a week now. I also used a couple cleaner jugs (purple power 1 gallon), and a couple 1 gallon engine oil jugs. All of them have the same recycling code (2 - HDPE). I figure if that code is good enough for engine oil then it is good enough for gas. Thickness of the plastic I think is more of a safety thing. I will admit the restaurant oil jugs are a bit thin compared to a gas can.