XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy ventilation flaps, near rear screen...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Noisy ventilation flaps, near rear screen...

Looking inside the boot/trunk, just below the rear screen and adjacent to the upper water channel, is a series of ventilation slots with loose movable flaps. Each time I close a door on the car, the escaping air pressure causes one or more of the flaps to rattle - a light metallic sound. No big deal I guess, but it is annoying!

At first I thought it was a loose exhaust hanger, but I traced it to this.

Is this common, or does anyone know of a fix? Access to the flaps is restricted through holes in the upper panel. Clearly they serve a purpose but I'd like to silence them, obviously without preventing the flaps from opening altogether.

Cheers,

Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Tony, this is not only common, this is one of the ways you know it's an Xj6. They're affectionately called Cow Bells.

They function, I'm told, as a one way air valve of sorts for ventilation of the cabin.

You can access them (there are 2) by removing the rear seat back. From that position you can either block them open, thereby doing away with the tinkling sound, or maybe even rip them out, which may be harder as they're set in metal tubes.

I find it sort of charming; like the car greets me whenever I get in and says Good-bye when I leave. But to each his own.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Jag7651 (11-11-2015), jagent (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Tony, this is not only common, this is one of the ways you know it's an Xj6. They're affectionately called Cow Bells.

They function, I'm told, as a one way air valve of sorts for ventilation of the cabin.

You can access them (there are 2) by removing the rear seat back. From that position you can either block them open, thereby doing away with the tinkling sound, or maybe even rip them out, which may be harder as they're set in metal tubes.

I find it sort of charming; like the car greets me whenever I get in and says Good-bye when I leave. But to each his own.
(';')

Thank you Elinor, somehow I suspected it would be another XJ6 eccentricity! I love your wonderfully positive slant on these little things, I have Cow Bells!! You've almost convinced me to leave well alone - that's difficult for someone who gets too **** about stuff (according to Mrs Jagent).

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I *just* fixed the cowbells on my Series III today.

After removing the insulation panel (if fitted) the air extractor pan is unbolted from the rear parcel shelf (access via the trunk/boot) and allowed to drop down....after levering it a bit to break the gooey sealant stuff.

(Or it can be removed entirely if you want....but that means shifting shifting the sunroof motor out of the way.)

With the pan dropped for access you can glue strips of foam (or felt pads, or....use you imagination) to the four little flaps.

Voilá....no more clanging flaps

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Jag7651 (11-11-2015), jagent (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
Thank you Elinor, somehow I suspected it would be another XJ6 eccentricity! I love your wonderfully positive slant on these little things, I have Cow Bells!! You've almost convinced me to leave well alone - that's difficult for someone who gets too **** about stuff (according to Mrs Jagent).
Thank you, Tony, it's just that I've never had a car with such Personality before.

I'm sure it's a British thing; who else on the planet would include or even conceive such a forward-thinking mechanical greeting system.

You have to admit, it beats the pseudo-sensuous female voice that says, "Your door is ajar." (Really!! And here was me thinking all this time it was a mere door!) Or the impersonal *thud* when one closes the door on entry or exit.

I'm more than a little **** about stuff working correctly, or at least having some function I can use, but there are some of these Eccentricities, Definitely British, that simply make the car what it is; the Quintessential Jaguar -- for me at least.
(';')

Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

...there are some of these Eccentricities, Definitely British, that simply make the car what it is; the Quintessential Jaguar -- for me at least.
(';')
Couldn't have put it better

On the other hand, I don't think I could accept a substitute for the sensuous female voice in my SatNav (I know, pathetic isn't it? it's a guy thing....)

Last edited by jagent; 08-22-2015 at 09:21 PM.
LnrB (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I *just* fixed the cowbells on my Series III today.

After removing the insulation panel (if fitted) the air extractor pan is unbolted from the rear parcel shelf (access via the trunk/boot) and allowed to drop down....after levering it a bit to break the gooey sealant stuff.

(Or it can be removed entirely if you want....but that means shifting shifting the sunroof motor out of the way.)

With the pan dropped for access you can glue strips of foam (or felt pads, or....use you imagination) to the four little flaps.

Voilá....no more clanging flaps

Cheers
DD
I'm re-tempted to have a go Doug, thank you.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

BTW Elinor, why the heck did I think Nix was dark blue?? My humble apologies, I'm obviously going colour blind. In my defence I don't think I've seen a black Series I/II/III XJ and not even sure they were offered in our market - others may correct me however.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The pan itself is #6 in the illustration....just so you have an idea. The actual noisemakers are #7. The gooey seal is #5

Air Extractor and Rear Parcel Shelf - Parts For Series III Saloon | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Jag7651 (11-11-2015), jagent (08-22-2015), Naber (12-16-2020)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
BTW Elinor, why the heck did I think Nix was dark blue?? My humble apologies, I'm obviously going colour blind. In my defence I don't think I've seen a black Series I/II/III XJ and not even sure they were offered in our market - others may correct me however.
No worries, Tony, she was born (yuck) yellow, the correct name for which I'm told, was Buttercup, or maybe Primrose, no matter to me. I don't know if they were sold in black or not.

However, the person from whom we bought her wisely had her painted this Elegant Velvety Black (My Favorite!) as part of the Restomod/Conversion that took place in 1986 when she was but 10. He told us her dress consists of no fewer than 3 coats of black and 6 layers of clear coat. Perhaps the sky is reflecting off all those shiny surfaces in the sig picture making her look dark blue.

There are 10 more pictures of her in my Nix album if you're interested, it's here: Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: LnrB
(';')

jagent (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member

No worries, Tony, she was born (yuck) yellow, the correct name for which I'm told, was Buttercup, or maybe Primrose, no matter to me. I don't know if they were sold in black or not.

However, the person from whom we bought her wisely had her painted this Elegant Velvety Black (My Favorite!) as part of the Restomod/Conversion that took place in 1986 when she was but 10. He told us her dress consists of no fewer than 3 coats of black and 6 layers of clear coat. Perhaps the sky is reflecting off all those shiny surfaces in the sig picture making her look dark blue.

There are 10 more pictures of her in my Nix album if you're interested, it's here: Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: LnrB
(';')
I just dropped by your album and left a message in there.

LnrB (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Default The cows and their bells are gone!

Originally Posted by Doug
The pan itself is #6 in the illustration....just so you have an idea. The actual noisemakers are #7. The gooey seal is #5

Air Extractor and Rear Parcel Shelf - Parts For Series III Saloon | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Cheers
DD
Thanks once again Doug, I just completed the job as per your directions and the bells are now silenced. I seriously considered leaving them for their eccentric originality, but in the end couldn't quite work up the same level of enthusiasm that Elinor has for them.

Cheers,

Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

those are Ventilation flaps that came from the factory with headliner fabric glued to the thin metal flaps, which are rivetted to the large black drain panel and hang freely.

but the foam backing dries out, dissolves, and the fabric falls off causing the metal-to-metal noise.

in the US, Joann's Fabrics, (and other Craft supply stores like Michael's), sell sheets of self sticking Felt material, which comes in different colors. (please do not use Pink like Doug did yesterday).

cut pieces of the Felt material the same size as the metal flaps and stick them to the flaps after cleaning any old material from the metal flaps with paint thinner so the Felt will adhere good.

Notice that there are two more similar free-hanging flaps behind the rear seat panel "firewall" or "bulkhead", and the same treatment applies.

lowering that metal drain panel is not easy, it is a pain, yes the Sunroof motor is in the way but you can lower the front edge enough to clean the drain panel and work the flaps.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
jagent (08-23-2015), Naber (12-16-2020)
Old 08-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
those are Ventilation flaps that came from the factory with headliner fabric glued to the thin metal flaps, which are rivetted to the large black drain panel and hang freely.

but the foam backing dries out, dissolves, and the fabric falls off causing the metal-to-metal noise.

in the US, Joann's Fabrics, (and other Craft supply stores like Michael's), sell sheets of self sticking Felt material, which comes in different colors. (please do not use Pink like Doug did yesterday).

cut pieces of the Felt material the same size as the metal flaps and stick them to the flaps after cleaning any old material from the metal flaps with paint thinner so the Felt will adhere good.

Notice that there are two more similar free-hanging flaps behind the rear seat panel "firewall" or "bulkhead", and the same treatment applies.

lowering that metal drain panel is not easy, it is a pain, yes the Sunroof motor is in the way but you can lower the front edge enough to clean the drain panel and work the flaps.
Jose, dropping that panel was indeed a pain (mainly in the lower back!!) but it worked well. I used a length of narrow white velcro stripping that I had left over and ran it right across the lower part of all 4 flap cavities. Since my car is white, nothing shows. In the process I came across the other 2 flaps on the bulkhead and did similar to each one.