XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Caliper rebuild and new brake fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Caliper rebuild and new brake fluid.

Hi,

As one of the winter jobs on my rusty XJS I was thinking I could rebuild the front calipers on it. The only issue I have is that while the calipers will be off the car I'll need to somehow cap the lines so the brake fluid doesnt all leak out, I've heard its not the best idea to have the whole system empty as its v.difficult to get all the air out later on.

Any ideas on what sort of a blanking plug I should use? What size? I suspect I will have to cut the flexi hose in two and then get it off the brake line itself but I'll try to undo it from the caliper first. Maybe I could then use something like a heat shrink cap? Will it hold the brake fluid?

Hope this all makes sense!

Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by katar83
Hi,

As one of the winter jobs on my rusty XJS I was thinking I could rebuild the front calipers on it. The only issue I have is that while the calipers will be off the car I'll need to somehow cap the lines so the brake fluid doesnt all leak out, I've heard its not the best idea to have the whole system empty as its v.difficult to get all the air out later on.

Any ideas on what sort of a blanking plug I should use? What size? I suspect I will have to cut the flexi hose in two and then get it off the brake line itself but I'll try to undo it from the caliper first. Maybe I could then use something like a heat shrink cap? Will it hold the brake fluid?

Get yourself a couple of these and you just clamp the hose. If they are round jawed, then the hoses will be fine.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Really? :O I had to do a similar thing on my x300 last summer and the flexi hoses felt really sturdy, definitely felt like I wouldn't be able to just squeeze them to close them and had to rush with the brakes before the fluid leaked, whatever I stuck in the hole hence I thought I'd get some sort of a proper cap this time

Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

They are made for exactly that job mate I used them on my X308 and my XJ-S...

Old 01-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

If you're cutting the hose, then anything round (to stick in the end of the hose) and a hose clamp will stop the flow.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daim
They are made for exactly that job mate I used them on my X308 and my XJ-S...
Where can I find these exactly? Looked at ebay, found some AMtech but reviews point out that these will not work for flexi hoses on at least some cars so not entirely sure? Apparently at least the AMtech ones will not fully stop the fluid and it will still drip slowly.
I will need at least few days to rebuild the calipers as ~two days to strip them to bare metal(Deox-C bath) and another day or two sorting pistons and seals and then painting the whole thing.

Originally Posted by Mark SF
If you're cutting the hose, then anything round (to stick in the end of the hose) and a hose clamp will stop the flow.
I thought about it, just wasnt sure it would stop the fluid. Any ideas what the hose diameter roughly? Or the metal ends thread size?

I was thinking If I undo the hose from the line and screw in a similar size bolt with some threadlock this should definitely stop the fluid leaking, just not sure what's the thread size. Might need to order a pair of these hoses to find out I guess.

Last edited by katar83; 01-11-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

your x300 prob had goodridge stainless steel brake type hoses. I got them and wouldn't dare.
clamps will be fine on yours or get a cheap brake cylinder and screw that on.

Last edited by rgp; 01-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

The clamps shown are fine and purpose built as Daim suggested.
l have used many methods over the years, some rougher than others and found even the humble plastic bag over the hose end and taped tightly with electrical tape does a fine job too, you're only dealing with gravity feed.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by katar83
Hi,

Hi Katar

If you want to Seal your Brake Hoses while you are rebuilding your Calipers, all you need is a couple of old Steel or (copper type) Brake Pipes.

Which almost any Garage will give you Free of Charge, then just hammer or squeeze the ends shut and Screw them onto your Brake Hose

If you only get One, then just cut it in half so you have Two pieces

Just get an old Brake Pipe and then Hammer or Squeeze the end shut

Doing this will Temporarily seal your brake hose up while doing your Calipers

I also make all my Brake Pipes with a DIY Kit that Costs about £35 plus another £10 for a Coil of (Copper Type) Brake Pipe

Once you get the hang of it, then its very easy to do and if you want to see how its done then have a look at Page 17.

Of my 'Cherry Blossom' Restoration Thread. Here is the Link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...122634/page17/

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-12-2018 at 06:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (01-12-2018)