XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this normal on a 2010 50k xk

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal on a 2010 50k xk

Morning, new to all this but am looking at getting an xk went to the dealer yesterday said the price was the price because they had to do all this work to the suspension (see pic). Does the suspension go at 50k or was the last owner recreating the dukes of hazard? Also the bar in the middle of the back seat was not attached and all the boot lining was loose..... should I be waking away?

Old 09-23-2018, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I have 63,000 miles on my XKR. I took a look at all the joints and such when it was up in the air and I have zero loose, tearing or leaking anything suspension or otherwise. your listed other stuff could use some care.
Of course I don't know where "Chester" is, so maybe you're near a lot of humidity and salt spray?

Old 09-23-2018, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

A&A

Personally I'd be more inclined TO buy it with all of that work done, as you know you'll not have to for some years.

Have you HPI'd it and had an independent vehicle inspector check it over?

I live less than half a mile from salt water, whereas Chester must be at least 50 miles/an hour (Crosby?) and have never has this affect my bushes on any car, that said it doesn't really snow down here (three times in 18yrs) .

BUT they should leave the vehicle nice and tidy and suitable for sale, which hasn't been done here

Appreciate we are into the colder months and not many will be looking at a sports/gt car until the spring....and the new reg is out in March

Also if the dealer had purchased it through a used car 'stocking finance; policy they have to repay it within 90 days.

Personally when I go to look at a car I would only go and look at ones I actually want...but the seller would never know that as I will say:

Not the colour I want
Wrong colour interior
A year later came with reversing camera and DAB
too high/too low mileage
If it's NA I'd say I want an SC
If it's SC'd I'd say I wanted an NA

Those that say 'oooh it's just the colour and spec I want!' will never get a discount

Plus I'm a cash buyer with no trade in or finance required, so will always aim to get 10-15% off the ticket price, regardless of what the dealer says.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I often wonder if UK MOT inspections aren't geared towards condemning cars. To the OP, a little research here will show the "rubber" booties on the suspension joints are prone to cracking which puts the joint at risk of premature wear. The material is opaque and not really rubber, viton or something else that would last a long time. It's a really poor design. One day I hope to measure mine and see what replacements are out there. Why do 100's of pounds worth of work for a couple pounds worth of booties?

Old 09-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

ALEX/ARCHER: I bought my second '2007 a year and a half ago. First thing I did was get the top two upper arms replaced due to the rubber booties being cracked. This year I had the bottom two lower arms replaced for the same reason. The dealer told me about the two bottom ones this year and I didn't take a look myself. So it might be 'normal' for them to be replaced at an early live span. This car has b/t 50-60K if my memory serves.

That said, the first '2007 I had did not have this problem and I did a lot of looking at that car while I owned it, so I'd have noticed. That one I got rid of around 100K. Maybe should have kept it. Maybe not.

Battery replacement time period seems normal to me on your list in your post.

I'd not be put off about the repairs knowing what I do.............if the body and interior are fine.

Boot linings loose............lazy daisy mechanics. They remove the 'cover's to replace the battery and lose the knobs to attach them back in place. The side linings on the right side might have been replaced to repair/fix the antenna motor or aerial and they did a poor job of finishing up the job.........or had 'em off for light bulb replacement??? After all, it's eighteen yrs old and was probably a daily driver and we're all not great at maintaining cars. Just those on this forum.

I've never had lighting problems on either '2007 XK. Also research the a/c drain problems and try to see if the drain has been replaced or not. They probably don't know, which would be reasonable imho. By the way, the a/c in both my cars is/was great, especially in Texas.

Dealer mentioned something about the rear link on one side that might be due for replacement in the future. I suppose that's the 'drop links'??? Got me.

Last edited by Hailers; 09-23-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for all your help. When I think about it it makes sense that they have been done. Will I’ve it a few days and see if I get a call about a price move. There has to be a bit of flex in it! On the quote break down they had even added £15 extra for Petrol lol

Old 09-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The work would be an encouragement but the unfitted/loose things would really put me off.

Our climate is tough on cars. MOT is, as well. On the positive side it results in very safe cars / roads.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I freaked when I saw 'Replaced rear anti-roll bar'! But I guess it was only the linkages to it. (if they had to replace a anti-roll bar, then the car has been wrecked, and badly....)

Glad we near Seattle don't have to deal with premature rubber deterioration. Wow.... I certainly dont want to ever buy a Jag that came out of the south, that's for sure!

Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
.... I certainly dont want to ever buy a Jag that came out of the south, that's for sure!
Maybe not from the South East? Mine spent the first three years in Texas and then Utah since then, where it's dry and usually not too cold during the winter but above 100 daily during the summer.
All my bushes and rubber bits look near perfect.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Why'd they have to refit the rear parking sensors? How do those break? That's weird.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Why'd they have to refit the rear parking sensors? How do those break? That's weird.
I've done it once (and only once) by just pressing in on it like it was a button.... Popped right out of whatever clip held it there. (Eep!)
Luckily there was just enough room and flex in the bumper cover to reach behind and snap it back! (Whew!)

But yeah, more than one? Weird indeed...

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Maybe not from the South East? Mine spent the first three years in Texas and then Utah since then, where it's dry and usually not too cold during the winter but above 100 daily during the summer.
All my bushes and rubber bits look near perfect.
Well.... As for the SLC area, I'd have to assume any car from there has been wrecked a minimum of twice a year! That town is NUTS!

Last edited by CleverName; 09-28-2018 at 12:11 PM.