XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice On Purchasing A XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Advice On Purchasing A XKR

Have just started the investigative process of purchasing a XKR convertible. Looking to get another summer convertible. Have recently sold one of my summer convertibles and have always wanted to own a Jaguar convertible. Not getting nay younger (just turned 70) so if I do not do this now probably will not get another chance. Have done a couple searches and looks like a mid 2000's XKR with not many miles (less than 40,000 hopefully) is in my price range. Not new to classic or HP (High Performance) cars/trucks. Currently own a 72 Olds 442 convt., 2000 Corvette C5 convt and a 05 Chevy (SSR). Always thought the Jaguar convertibles were great looking automobiles but know very little about them and do not know anyone that owns a XKR series model that I could talk to. So am looking for all the information and advice that would help me in my search, All vehicles have their "issues" that need to be considered when looking to purchase a used one. So any help would be appreciated to assist me in making a purchase decision.

thanks

Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Soundhd,

I started out looking for my XK8 when I was your age. I narrowed my search down to 2003 model and newer, to get the 4.2/6-speed and far fewer potential problems. I wanted only a coupe, which made my search a lot more of a challenge, especially as I live in a fairly remote area, where any Jaguar is a scarce item. I ended up buying a 2006 coupe, sight-unseen, from out of state, a great leap of faith. At the time of purchase, I had not even driven any XK8 or XKR, coupe or otherwise, and had seen only a couple in the metal. I have had it now just over two years and love it still. I wanted British Racing Green but settled for black as scarcity and ordeal of shopping wore me down. Since I bought mine, I've learned a bit more (thanks to this excellent forum) and were I looking now would try hard to find a 2004. Why an '04? Last year before the "aero enhancements" made the nose longer and lower (scrapes every dip) and first year to lose the plastic rub strip along the flanks.

A lovely, low-mileage '04 XKR coupe just came up on Bring a Trailer that appeared to be my ideal: BRG/tan, very low miles, etc. But it was on the wrong coast (New Jersey; I'm in California) and the would-be seller was MIA, not engaging with the bidders whatsoever. Scary! I kept my counsel and didn't bid. Car didn't sell, of course, as it didn't meet reserve. I was far from the only one scared off.

Best of luck to you and do keep us posted as you proceed!

Granville

Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I agree with everything the gentleman above said. Go for a 2003+ year. Check the rear corners for signs of rust, around the wheel arches. Make sure all the seat controls work especially the drivers headrest, that tend to fail going up and down. Ignition on. Not started. put car into reverse. Dip the passengers side mirror. Take car out of reverse. The mirror should go back to its original position.

You did one of the best things you can do already. You joined a forum. The guys on here are always ready to jump in and help and advise. One thing I always say to potential buyers is try and find a current owner to take with you and advise you. They can see the car with subjective eyes rather than the usual 'I want one' eyes.

Dont go for one with Sat Nav. Sounds counter intuitive but apparently the Sat Navs are useless and everyone prefers the 3 dials. You will see what I mean when you look at the adverts.

When you do find a potential car put the advert up on here. Even though some of us are 1000's of miles away, like me, we can often spot things good or bad.

If you want to know what can go wrong, the pitfalls and blessings you can always read my story if you have a few days to spare. Franks Story

The following users liked this post:
uksimon (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:06 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

couple of questions come to mind such as what is your purchase and repair budget along with expectations. many caution to stay with the last update of the model especially for the transmission, however since you desire an XKR, it will have a better transmission anyway in the earlier years. many of the "problems" of the earlier cars can be solved permanently with some updates and even the newer series is getting older and will have age and use requirements no matter how low the mileage or gentle the usage.

another matter is that the convertible has structural limitations which are not deal killers, but will affect what you can do with the car performance wise over a coupe. my suggestion is to test drive both to make sure that you are happy which is what i did. in other words, do you need the XKR for pleasant cruising and would you prefer that nice feeling of boost. it is simply a matter of personal taste.

uksimon (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

I'll be the devils advocate here.

Don't automatically overlook the late 4.0 years. The XKR's of those years will likely have already had the major engine flaws addressed, i.e. the cam chain tensioners and the water pump. There are a few other details that make the 4.2 engine an "improved" cat, but nothing that should scare aware a buyer who's looking for something more sedate than a dedicated track car.

I bought my '02 XKR coupe exactly one year ago. Aside from consumable items like oil, filters, tires, battery, etc. I've only needed to replace one item, the CPU cooling fan would squeak at startup during very cold weather. So I replaced it at a cost of $100 plus my own labor of one hour or even or less.

the previous owner had already done the major engine upgrades of cam chain tensioners and the water pump too. And had the documentation to show. Nevertheless I did talk to the repair shop at length just to confirm the work did take place.

You can save a a few thousand $$$ by looking into the '00 to '02 XKR years, if that's a consideration. For me it was, and I managed to find a very good car for well under $ 9,000.

It also helpd to buy this time of year. Sellers are more motivated and most buyers don't get the itch to buy until the weather turns in late spring. Meaning your competition of other buyers is about as low as possible in January and February.

good luck and keep us posted.

Z

PS. since you looking for an XKR, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the 4.0 engine's transmission having issues like the XK8 owners have to contend with . The trans. In the XKR is a completely different one than the XK8 transmission, and is very stout. I would however recommend changing the transmission fluid and supercharger fluid of any car you buy ASAP.

Last edited by zray; 01-02-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have both an X100 XKR and an X150 XKR, and since the early X150 (2007-2008) cars are now approaching the pricing of late X100 cars, you shouldn't rule them out in your search. I love my 2002 XKR 'vert for its beauty, classic Jaguar heritage and cavernous trunk, BUT, the constant jiggly ride and sloppy handling make it nowhere near the quality of the X150's ride. You will sacrifice trunk space as the convertible top folds into the trunk, but you should at least drive one for comparison's sake. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

In additional the other advice, I'd look very carefully at the body. Small impacts front and rear can make panels slightly crooked and are hard to fix.

As with any older car, buy the best one you can find.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
Dont go for one with Sat Nav. Sounds counter intuitive but apparently the Sat Navs are useless and everyone prefers the 3 dials. You will see what I mean when you look at the adverts.
It would be a bit daft to rule out a perfectly good car just because it has an outdated sat nav. Its an easy update to a modern touch screen Garmin unit with a reversing camera or, if you really want the 3 placebo dials (which as they came from the factory are just as useless as the sat nav) its easy enough to replace the dash panels and add a second hand set of dials and the Real Gauge kit so they display the oil pressure rather than just an idiot light.

The biggest killers of these cars now is rust, so getting a rust free example would be top of my list of must haves, rather than how many dials its got...

zray (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice 2000 XKR convertible with very low miles on Bring a Trailer, at auction, with less than 3 hours to hammer down, current bid $9,300.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-jaguar-xkr-5/

Apparently one family ownership.

Granville

Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Personally, I don't like buying low mileage cars.

I've been buying and selling cars, mainly British sport cars and American muscle cars for nearly 50 years. The one constant is that the seldom driven-low mileage cars require much more attention to become reliable. Cars deteriorate when they sit unused. That's a stone cold fact. For example, most people don't know, or don't care enough, to change the oil before a car is going to sit out the winter, or even longer. Used acidic oil is a death knoll for main and rod bearings when they are immersed in it for months at a time. The other systems fair no better from long idle periods.

Conversely, the higher mileage cars are generally better maintained and well proven to be reliable. and well sorted out. A car with 100,000 miles on the clock is not worn out, not even close to a third of the way worn out and needing an engine overhaul due to wear. I routinely get 250,000 to 300,000 miles from a 1960's vintage American muscle car like the Shelby's. Modern cars like the XK8 / XKR's should go 400,000 + miles due to fuel injection and more durable materials being used.

I prefer to let the previous owners pony up for the big repair bills like the cam chain tensioner debacle, and other known flaws. I bought my current XKR with 116,000 miles on it. Under the previous owner, at 115,000 miles, the cam chain flaw surfaced. Granted, the previous owner(s) should have fixed it before it failed. But they rolled the dice, and lost. Since I took some prudent steps, and learned a bit about these cars, I knew not to purchase a car which hadn't had the tensioner upgrades done, or get a a steep discount.

A low milage car is an unknown quantity, with no factory warranty to back it up. The car with 75,000 to 125,000 miles has been tested, and the parts that were deficient usually do show themselves before the car gets much over 100,000 miles. They are the safer bet.

Z

The following 3 users liked this post by zray:
CorStevens (01-03-2019), frankc (01-03-2019), Steven Abate (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbit
It would be a bit daft to rule out a perfectly good car just because it has an outdated sat nav. Its an easy update to a modern touch screen Garmin unit with a reversing camera or, if you really want the 3 placebo dials (which as they came from the factory are just as useless as the sat nav) its easy enough to replace the dash panels and add a second hand set of dials and the Real Gauge kit so they display the oil pressure rather than just an idiot light.

The biggest killers of these cars now is rust, so getting a rust free example would be top of my list of must haves, rather than how many dials its got...
Someone bought a car with Sat Nav................

Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

my car has the factory navigation option. I don't see what the problem is that people have with it.

The old technology is harder to learn, doesn't have the pretty colors, and makes you feel like you are in an episode of Star Trek (the original series).

So what ?

....... If you want a car that is EASY to own, why the hell are you buying a Jaguar in the 1st place ???

Z

scm (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Wooow slow down. No one is saying cars with Sat Nav are awful. They are still the same cars. Its just a case of personal preference. If you like the old Sat Nav systems then great!! Personally id love mine to have a Sat Nav however here in the UK they do not have the best of reputations. Weather that reputation is warranted or not that's a matter for personal conjecture. If someone has Sat Nav and is happy with it fantastic. Sure there are more important things to look for other than Sat Nav I was just making a personal point. Always willing to admit I am wrong, if I am.

We are all just trying to help the guy out picking a XKR. In the end its up to him what he buys and I am sure all he wants are pointers to ensure he gets the right car for him. Everyone's opinion counts and that's all they are opinions. No need for anyone to get angry.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Wooow slow down. ........"

"......No need for anyone to get angry.
not mad, or anything close to it

As rightly pointed out, there are many things to look for when picking out a 15 - 20 year old car, with rust being the number one bug-a-boo. to avoid. The fixation on a functioning option seems a bit odd.

Happy New Year to all.

Z

Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Personally id love mine to have a Sat Nav however here in the UK they do not have the best of reputations. Whether that reputation is warranted or not that's a matter for personal conjecture.
I had a 2004 XKR with satnav and I never had a problem with it - it was at least as good as the TomTom I had at the time, albeit rather more expensive! But it was faster and more comfortable than the TomTom, and any destination I needed I could find without any issue. And I thought it looked much better than having those stupid dials!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by uksimon
Someone bought a car with Sat Nav................
No, I bought an XKR convertible that was the exact one I was looking for - the colour combination I wanted, 2 previous owners, low mileage, full Jaguar service history and, most importantly, as it had spent most of its early life in the South of France, zero rust.

How did you get on with your rusty XKR?

Originally Posted by uksimon
But my local garage has told me I have bad rust on the front chassis legs. Welding would be needed. I do not want to "cover up" and hide the rust but I just cannot work out how to get to this rust. I have a 2004 XKR Convertible. I see you did yours. How do you get to these rusted legs? Any guidance and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 AM

I think sat nav became standard starting with the 2000 model year. That's the same year as the Nikasil liners were phased out and why I chose a 2000+ car.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia
I think sat nav became standard starting with the 2000 model year. That's the same year as the Nikasil liners were phased out and why I chose a 2000+ car.
The 2000 still had the 3 gauge option. Mine has it.

Nikasil was not phased out in the model year 2000 cars (and I mean 2000 as in United States way of model years). They started phasing them out in August of that year, which in the US, is after the model year has actually ended. A car may have a steel-lined engine and be older, and a car may be newer with a nikasil engine; transplants happen. Check the block. I don't care that either of my two older Jaguars are nikasil lined; they're generally fine at this point and going forward.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ify-faq-25912/

Originally Posted by Gus
The first steel-lined AJ-V8 came off the production line In the year 2000 on August 18th at 10.43am hence the engine number will read:
00 08 18 1043 or more precisely:
With this piece of information it is simple to discern between a Nikasil and a steel-lined engine as all the numbers refer to the date of manufacture and any engine built before August 18th 2000 WILL have Nikasil bores!
The only way to tell if you have a Nikasil lined engine is to check the engine number, as stated in my document.

CHECK THE ENGINE NUMBER - IT IS THE ONLY SURE WAY OF KNOWING.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Sorry, I meant 'phased out' as in the Nikasil containing engines started to be replaced by non-Nikasil during the 2000 model year. You do need to check each car.

It does seem today that there may be less of a risk. I lost the motor in my previous XK8 and was trying to be more informed with this one.

​​​

Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

SoundHD,

I just opened this Thread and noticed that it had become the old Nav VS Gauges argument...I apologize for my Friends...…
If I were looking for another XKR, I would want the newest one I could afford! Big things, such as the 4.2 Engine and the 6 speed Tranny and the updates that Jaguar made starting in 2003 mean a great deal as these Cars age......The newer they are the more improvements you will find and that makes them more valuable but worth the extra dollars...…

I've owned a 1998 XK8 Coupe, a 2000 XKR Coupe, a 2003 XKR Coupe and now a 2005 XKR Coupe. Never have wanted a Convertible, but that's just me.....Personally, today, if I was looking, I would start-out looking for a 2003 up....I feel there is more value for the dollar by starting there.....That's when Jaguar made the majority of the XK's improvements.....and they were really great "IMPROVEMENTS".....

My Nav works just fine and I can still find just about any place I need to go in Houston......Only problem is if I am trying to find something in the newer sections of the County...Places that were built since about 2002 or 2003....but that is usually not where I go anyway! If I needed one, I can buy one for the Dash...…Of course my Disc is the last one they produced and I spent the $100.00 to purchase it from Jaguar sometime in the 2008 to 2010 period....CAN'T BUY THOSE ANYMORE!

Good Luck to you with your purchase! Remember, these wonderful little Cars, the few that came to the US are heading of the Wrecking Yard daily......Each day they become more and more a Classic...….SO! Buy a good one soon!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 01-07-2019 at 09:45 PM.