S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S Type 4.2 Did I get myself into a money pit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 S Type 4.2 Did I get myself into a money pit?

Hello everyone. I'm welcoming myself to this website. My name is Anthony and I'm from Houston, Texas. My father purchased an '05 S Type around '08 from an auction. It was crashed from the front and rear end. The airbags deployed but the damage on the outside was minor. The bumpers were replaced. Now I own the vehicle. It has 149,XXX miles on it. My father only bought oem parts from the dealer to restore the airbags and headlights. Now I'm not sure if te body man actually used the oem parts or found aftermarket or junk yard parts. I previously had a '05 Lincoln Town Car with 350,XXX miles on it. Same engine same transmission. That being said, we have only used Mobil synthetic oil with wix filter from oreilly. I also just had the air filter and fuel filter replaced and oil pan gasket which is I believe why I am having the problems I'm having now. Maybe the compression now from the nicely sealed pan may have blown/slit some hoses or valves. I know where the crankcase valve is either malfunctioning or the hose connected to it that goes to the manifold maybe leaking. Also the headlights that we purchased that are xenon bulb, are not working. I tried the bulb and ballast behind the bulb and still no dice. I also saw that there is some other type of ballast between the fender and light which looks like a flat rectangle may have to be replaced? The rear right light makes a faulty connection with the brake bulb. It kinda lights up but when the brake is applied the light comes off. I have cleaned, scraped the flaps clean to make better connection and still nothing. It keeps melting the plastic. Do I have to replace the whole circuit board? The brake liked up once and we cut off the brake cable so we can drive it. I'm not sure which parking brake cable my dad cut off but I'll be able to borrow a lift this coming Saturday (11/02/2014) to take the wheels off and have an extensive look at what needs to be replaced. I'm having my doubts about this car. But I wanna keep it. I also want to replace the parts that are broken. The performance restricted light is on. So I'm going to try to order those parts. Should I only buy oem? Could I buy aftermarket or performance parts? I rather keep it stock but I don't mind replacing those parts and hose with different hosing. I will post pictures as soon as I find out how to. I also have a hard clunking sound on the front left side in the suspension. I also wanted to ask, could the crank case have been damaged due to an excessive amount of Lucas gas treatment. I accidentally bought the pint and I went over the normal single size bottle. Any advice is appreciated. I forgot to mention that the cruise control is not active. I don't have much money to spend but I wanna make sure it's car is right.

Thank you

Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a simple cost analysis really. You are looking at potentially thousands of dollars in repairs. Do you love the car enough to spend that kind of money (if money was no object)? If the answer is yes, you do, then simply take it step by step. One problem at a time. Be very careful with body damage. Although it may look fairly minor on the outside, without a careful inspection, structural damage can easily be hiding. Work on any leaking hoses first. They're easy fixes. Scour through these forums. There are tons of stuff in here. I suspect your electrical/lighting issues will be fairly easy to resolve and are simply a matter of your front and or rear bumpers not being installed correctly. To me, it sounds like a fun project. Then again, I'm told I'm a little different. Have fun!

The following users liked this post:
SickSType (07-26-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

No offence intended, but reading a monoblock of text causes many viewers to stop reading after just a few lines. I've edited in attempt to draw out the salient points.

Originally Posted by SickSType
Hello everyone. I'm welcoming myself to this website.

My name is Anthony and I'm from Houston, Texas. My father purchased an '05 S Type around '08 from an auction. It was crashed from the front and rear end. The airbags deployed but the damage on the outside was minor. The bumpers were replaced. Now I own the vehicle. It has 149,XXX miles on it.

My father only bought oem parts from the dealer to restore the airbags and headlights. Now I'm not sure if te body man actually used the oem parts or found aftermarket or junk yard parts. I previously had a '05 Lincoln Town Car with 350,XXX miles on it. Same engine same transmission. That being said, we have only used Mobil synthetic oil with wix filter from oreilly.

I also just had the air filter and fuel filter replaced and oil pan gasket which is I believe why I am having the problems I'm having now. Maybe the compression now from the nicely sealed pan may have blown/slit some hoses or valves. I know where the crankcase valve is either malfunctioning or the hose connected to it that goes to the manifold maybe leaking.

Also the headlights that we purchased that are xenon bulb, are not working. I tried the bulb and ballast behind the bulb and still no dice. I also saw that there is some other type of ballast between the fender and light which looks like a flat rectangle may have to be replaced?

The rear right light makes a faulty connection with the brake bulb. It kinda lights up but when the brake is applied the light comes off. I have cleaned, scraped the flaps clean to make better connection and still nothing. It keeps melting the plastic. Do I have to replace the whole circuit board?

The brake liked (ed. locked?) up once and we cut off the brake cable so we can drive it. I'm not sure which parking brake cable my dad cut off but I'll be able to borrow a lift this coming Saturday (11/02/2014) to take the wheels off and have an extensive look at what needs to be replaced.

I'm having my doubts about this car. But I wanna keep it. I also want to replace the parts that are broken.

The performance restricted light is on. So I'm going to try to order those parts. Should I only buy oem? Could I buy aftermarket or performance parts? I rather keep it stock but I don't mind replacing those parts and hose with different hosing.

I will post pictures as soon as I find out how to.

I also have a hard clunking sound on the front left side in the suspension.

I also wanted to ask, could the crank case have been damaged due to an excessive amount of Lucas gas treatment. I accidentally bought the pint and I went over the normal single size bottle.

Any advice is appreciated. I forgot to mention that the cruise control is not active. I don't have much money to spend but I wanna make sure it's car is right.

Thank you
Please tell us more about the crankcase pressure/split hose issue.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mikey:
abonano (07-27-2014), aholbro1 (07-27-2014), Jayt2 (07-27-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

SickS, how far from your part of Houston to Sugarland? You may want to contact Brutal for a consultation.

Last edited by aholbro1; 07-27-2014 at 11:37 AM.
SickSType (07-28-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
No offence intended, but reading a monoblock of text causes many viewers to stop reading after just a few lines. I've edited in attempt to draw out the salient points.

Kudos to Mikey for taking the time to make this gibberish readable to us old farts with vision problems. If you want us to read and respond to your posts you've got to make them readable.

aholbro1 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Default Sorry guys, my first post.

Sorry guys. My first post and I'm already messing up. I will clean this up as soon as I get home. On my mobile device and didn't realize it was so much. I will clarify the problems in bullets and possible reasons why. Thanks for being patient. Get back to y'all around 7 PM central time.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-29-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Default Crankcase valve and hose reply

I was told that the hose that connects to the crankcase valve was either not making good connection or the valve is bad. I ordered both parts via eBay also aftermarket hoping it will do the trick. If you hear an air leak, what I do usually is take the oil cap off the top where you put the motor oil while the car is running. Once you do that, you can listen to hear of the leak gets louder or etc..... That was my conclusion and when I took it to the mechanic he pointed out the same thing. So hopefully this weekend I can replace and see what the problem is. Thanks for your patience guys. I have two jobs and am in the air national guard. It's hard for me to respond on the weekend but after work during the week I'm good for communication.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I actual pass thru sugar land everyday. I work in Rosenberg and live in Houston so I drive past sugar land on a daily. Who is brutal?

Originally Posted by aholbro1
SickS, how far from your part of Houston to Sugarland? You may want to contact Brutal for a consultation.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Brutal (Bill) is one of the techs who sometimes post on here and is very knowledgeable.

His headlight fix (a screw in the right place) is a genius thread.