XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

How to replace the reverse camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the reverse camera

Jag Fans and Gurus, I am a newbie to the site and new to the Jag community. I recently purchased a 2011 XJL and love it. However, the reverse camera is not showing the image but does show the guide lines. I purchased a replacement camera but have no idea how to replace the old with the new. The only way I can visualize it is to remove the bumper cover. Please help. I am pretty savvy around cars, previous Corvette owner and enthusiast, so I am comfortable in the garage. Thanks for your time.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Brian, looking in the service manual, to remove the camera, you need to remove the rear bumper and then you have 2 more fasteners that hold the camera in place. Granted, it may be possible to simply get the rear end of the car up in the air and then slide your hand up between the bumper cover and the body of the car. But, that is going to be a really tight fit.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:16 AM
Thumbs up

Thermo, thanks a ton for the help. I tried to get through this project without removing the bumper to no avail. Allow me to define tight here, about 1 inch from bumper cover to bumper frame. My hand nor the camera had enough clearance. When able and if possible, can you send me the procedure to remove the bumper cover? Thanks again for the assistance.

Brian

Old 03-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Brian, here is the short version of it:

=disconnect the battery
-raise the car and support on jackstands so you have access under the car
-remove both rear tail lights
-remove the spare tire and the tray that is under the tire
-disconnect the parking sensor plugs in the left corner (nearest you) on the inside wall of the trunk
-remove the 2 screws holding the fender liner to the bumper cover on each side (4 screws total)
-remove the 5 fasteners holding the bumper cover to the cover on the underside of the spare tire well (may only be 4 based on the picture, but says there is 5)
-disconnect the 2 plugs on the backside of the wheel well liner on both sides of the car (4 plugs total). These are tucked up next to the muffler, but attached to the bumper cover itself.
-In the opening where the tail lights were, remove the single fastener on each side holding the bumper cover to the body of the car (2 fasteners total).
-At this point the bumper cover is ready to come off. Putting a blanket or something under the bumper cover is advisable and having a second person makes this easier. You are going to pull out to the side the bumper cover at the wheel well (on both sides) and once you are free there, pull the bumper straight off the back of the car. DO NOT!!!! pull too far as you still have wiring attached.
-Once you can get your hand behind the bumper cover, you have 2 more plugs that will need to be disconnected at the center of the bumper cover

At this point, you should be able to set the bumper cover on the ground and access the camera.

Install is the reverse process.

The following users liked this post:
Brianharveyusmc (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Thermo, I will begin this project on Friday. Since I am sure others may have this issue, I plan on documenting the process for all to see. Thanks again for the help, info, and your time.

Brian

Old 03-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

brian, not a problem. Kinda wish I still lived in Norfolk. Used to have guys come over all the time to work on my car and truck and me to work on theirs. But, I have since moved north to Maryland and would not be as easy for you to come up to have me help you.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Thermo, thanks again for the help. I planned on documenting this but the light was bad since I was doing this as a “quick” fix last night. There were a few areas that became clear through the process but overall the info you sent me was spot on. I was actually able to change the camera out without having to completely remove the bumper cover.
This forum is exceptional for us newbies!

Brian if we ever meet in the future.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

Brian, good to hear that you got it figured out. Not having my own bumper cover off, I wasn't sure how many plugs may have to come undone to get the bumper to lay on the ground.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brianharveyusmc
Thermo, thanks again for the help. I planned on documenting this but the light was bad since I was doing this as a “quick” fix last night. There were a few areas that became clear through the process but overall the info you sent me was spot on. I was actually able to change the camera out without having to completely remove the bumper cover.
This forum is exceptional for us newbies!

Brian if we ever meet in the future.
Hey man,
My rear camera lens has fallen slightly askew in the housing, meaning the ouptut on the screen is slightly obscured at the bottom where the housing is in view of camera (it's like a semi circle on bottom of screen)
I tried to reset the position by playing around with the lens and slipping a fishing gook behind it but it does no good, and needs to be reseatted from the rear.
My question is, how did you manage to change the camera without having to remove the whole bumper? I tried removing just the splashguard part underneath bumper and reaching up, but as you said before the access is so tight it is impossible. Removing the whole.bumper seems like a huge job, and I'd love to know how you managed to swap the whole module without doing this. All I need is to give it a bit of a push from behind, so you could save me a lot of work and blood :-)
Thanks in advance,

Ps I presume this is a XJ (x351) ?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Askew camera too

Originally Posted by Cash
Hey man,
My rear camera lens has fallen slightly askew in the housing, meaning the ouptut on the screen is slightly obscured at the bottom where the housing is in view of camera (it's like a semi circle on bottom of screen)
I tried to reset the position by playing around with the lens and slipping a fishing gook behind it but it does no good, and needs to be reseatted from the rear.
My question is, how did you manage to change the camera without having to remove the whole bumper? I tried removing just the splashguard part underneath bumper and reaching up, but as you said before the access is so tight it is impossible. Removing the whole.bumper seems like a huge job, and I'd love to know how you managed to swap the whole module without doing this. All I need is to give it a bit of a push from behind, so you could save me a lot of work and blood :-)
Thanks in advance,

Ps I presume this is a XJ (x351) ?
I have the same problem with my XJ (x351) back-up camera. Did you figure it out? Could you please share your experience? Thanks!

Old 10-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Default Apologies for the delay

Hello All, I have sold my XJL so I rarely get on here. To answer the inquiries though, you will not be able to replace the camera without removing the bumper due to the location of the camera’s nuts. Not humanly possible without damaging something beyond repair. I spent about 5 hrs trying to manipulate and maneuver several objects in there. The best I would say you could do is remove debris from the lens or slightly move the camera- BUT BE CAREFUL AS NOT TO WARP SOMETHING. I would highly recommend bumper removal which all-in-all wasn’t as complicated as it sounds.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the update. It’s good to know this is the only way. I’ll give bumper removal a shot soon. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Nedoerr, I just removed my bumper cover yesterday. Not that bad. The only confusing part for me was that the directions showed sliding a tab down (located in the top corner of the bumper cover in the wheel well). It isn't so much that you are pulling something down as you are taking the tie point and rotating it out of the way. In other words, you will remove the screw and then the tab that the screw touches will get rotated 180 degrees towards you. I also found it easiest to remove the rear wheels to give you room to work. Took a few extra minutes to do, but I think it will save you time overall since you have room to work and are not fighting to get your hands where you need them to be.

hafren (10-14-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:22 AM

Thanks Thermo. I will give this a shot probably in a month. I am currently making sure I can keep an intermittent error code at bay, but then I’m on to the bumper/ rear camera. Thanks again.

Nick

Old 01-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new, and slightly confused, and accidentally started a new thread when asking about the XJ's 2nd battery, that was apparently discontinued in 2015: 2016-xjl-auto-start-2nd-battery
I was also describing the success I have had with the CTEK 40-206 as a battery tender (in the wrong thread).
Regardless, I added a third comment regarding my rear bumper camera, (single rear camera) and was asked to start a new thread.

As you already know, on my 2016 XJL, the rear view camera is a surface mounted lens in the center of the rear bumper. A lousy design because it lacks an external sealing retaining ring and is susceptible to water and dust.
The lens is actually part of a small camera transmitter assembly that is sandwiched between the rear bumper cover and the rear bumper's impact absorption bar (metal and immovable).
In my exuberance to clean the bumper, I accidentally pushed the camera assembly into the inner bumper void, and couldn't get it back into its flimsy plastic retaining clips.
It doesn't require excessive force to inflict this damage. If you pull apart your trunk's internal fascia covers and rubber sealing gasket (the boot), you can move the flexible bumper cover enough to insert an inspection mirror from the top. Access from below is worse. My camera assembly was still attached to the wiring that connects it to the nearby control module. And as described above, access is by removing the rear bumper.
However, I made a temporary positioning tool, that looks like a long handled bent screwdriver (almost 90degrees), and added a rubber tip. With the aid of the mirror and the tool, I managed to push the camera back into its retaining clips.
Due to weather, it was a span of several weeks to reset the lens back into the bumper, and the resulting image was blurry. When I took the car to be serviced (under warranty), the agent said that refocusing a camera was easy.
But the refocus procedure apparently failed and they had to replace the camera due to internal water damage. The camera assembly is only water tight on the lens side, not when submerged. They said that they had a tool, and didn't have to remove the bumper.
Has anybody seen this tool?

Clovis997 (01-28-2023)