XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Autel MP808 OBD

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Autel MP808 OBD

When it comes to OBD devices, information overload is the reality. In reading reviews, it seems that TOAD Pro got good reviews. So when I wrote them and provided VIN numbers for my 2004 XJ6, 2005 Honda CRV and 2006 Mercedes B170, I was a bit surprised when Alex E. came back with "In your case Sir, I'd more advise Amazon: autel scanner. Rather get OEM scanner which can scan different brands but also various modules like ABS, Airbag.

So I began the Autel adventure. Again, a zillion choices and a lot of chart comparisons, but not a lot of forum chatter. Finally it appears the MK808 and the MP808 were the likely solutions. Rang the US support line and they confirmed the MP808 was the more comprehensive unit, and until one gets into the thousands of dollars, the right one for a premium enthusiast as opposed to a shop. They were a bit uncertain about air bag control, and while it will do programming of keys, unclear if I need two keys to clone. The unit is expensive, but in my experience, a cheap unit can result in months of replacing parts that don't fix the problem, so if this zeros in, it's worth it... especially if if does cars I have not yet purchased.

While Amazon lists them, the international shipping and other charges loaded it at $758. However, https://www.autelsale.com/ listed it for $699 including all costs to ship to New Zealand. https://www.auteltechshop.com/wholes...pro-mp808.html also lists at $699 and free shipping.

So, when it arrives, I'll post what it can and cannot do.

The following users liked this post:
rslafleur (08-08-2022)
Old 01-11-2021, 05:37 PM
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi x350,
I will be interested to see if it can take a car with only one working key, and add another. I had to take my car with one working key and a purchased (AliExpress) and correctly cut key to my local independent, who used the Jaguar dealer software to wipe the first key then add both of them. If you have two working keys, you don't need anything to add the third to the eighth. There is a procedure for programming the fob too, without any extra hardware.
All this info is here on the forum.

Regards
Pete

Old 01-15-2021, 11:42 PM
Received 12,755 Likes on 6,388 Posts

I have the Autel MaxiSys Elite and it can do much of what JLR SDD can do. I also have the Autel MX808, which can read virtually all the DTCs the Elite and SDD can, but lacks most of the bi-directional capability. So I'll be very interested to learn about the capabilities of the MP808.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-11-2022 at 11:17 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (01-16-2021), EssOess (01-23-2021), MountainMan (01-16-2021), XJRay (01-16-2021)
Old 07-24-2022, 05:28 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
I have the Autel MaxiSys Elite and it can do much of what JLR SDD can do. I also have the Autel MX808, which can read virtually all the DTCs the Elite and SDD can, but lacks most of the bi-directional capability. So I'll be very interested to learn about the capabilities of the MP808.

Cheers,

Don
Don, can it read IAT temps (I have an X308 SC) , oil and coolant temps and actually give a deg C (or deg F) reading?

I have a Snap-On Zeus and its an overpriced POS for a Jag, it gives me volt numbers!!

I also have the dealer SDD tool but wanted something more compact and portable.

Old 07-24-2022, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Don B

Cheers,

Don
I have the MP808. It is bidirectional and allows me to do things like totally mess up my transmission shifting since I pressed buttons without fully appreciating the power placed in my hands. A few Google searches later, I was able to reset it to learn my driving habits without the slam shifting that I somehow accidentally triggered.

The adverts say "The car scanner diagnostic tool MP808 actually has the bi-directional control ability, to send commands to vehicle’s systems/components, to verify system input/output without using the vehicle's controls, e.g. turn on the radiator fan, modulate the throttle, open/close windows, operate mirrors, turn on interior & exterior lights, sound horn, test door lock actuators and such."

See https://www.auteleshop.com/wholesale...pro-mp808.html for extensive detail.

If you have specific questions, try Autel support: https://www.auteltech.com/c/www/about/3103.jhtml. The problem with asking another Jag owner what bidirectional features it has tends to only address what that owner has discovered. These devices have numerous options and they are not the most intuitive. Generally, they are discovered when one has a problem, or when one is messing around pressing buttons to see what they will do.

If you can find someone knowledgeable in Autel ask them to send you all the features that work with the X350. As you are a moderator, they may treat you like an internet influencer and send you the full write up for publication (or maybe even free devices to test and report).

It's in their business interest to do so... indeed to go one better and describe each of their products, since they have so many and it is hard to work out which one to buy.

What I like about the MP808 is its universality. When the turn signal in the side mirror on my Mercedes W245 stopped working and I discovered it was due to the automatic folding of the mirrors every time I locked the door (eventually, the wire inside the cable breaks - a pain to identify since it is invisible), I was able to disable the feature so the mirrors stay in place and not strain the wire. Ditto fixing my Honda CR-V which told me exactly which oil sensor to replace. I originally bought the Autel when the X350 was going into limp-mode light, but selected the MP808 because I don't just own a Jag.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:07 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Can it program air suspension ride height?

Old 07-24-2022, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pkoko
Can it program air suspension ride height?
Try calling 1-855-AUTEL-US (288-3587) and asking them. Or email ussupport@autel.com. Let us know if they give you a definitive answer.

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (07-24-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 07:41 AM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by x350
Try calling 1-855-AUTEL-US (288-3587) and asking them. Or email ussupport@autel.com. Let us know if they give you a definitive answer.
Here is the response from Autel. The scanners they recommend are all in the thousands and are pro-mechanic tools
Thank you for contacting Autel customer support.
We offer the MS909, MS919, MS ULTRA that can perform function on the air suspension system on vehicles that are equipped with air suspension from the factory.
Please feel welcome to reach out to us with any questions you may have, and we would be more than happy to help.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:04 AM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts

A friend has a Snap On that can set ride height the first time. Takes maybe 10 minutes to measure and calibrate. It also reads the vehicle VIN and knows to set XJ and XJR differently.
I screwed up the Ride Height Control Module in the A8 with Ross Tech VCDS. It would raise up and down but stop at random heights. What was plugged in had no relation to the final calibrated ride height. After 25 cals trying to get car level it quit working. Was worried compressor might give up. It ran 25% of the time for maybe 10 hours.
I was impressed seeing the Snap On scanner was a one time deal. After VCDS fiasco it made me hesitant to adjust if anywhere close.
And I am sure that only a licensed legal SDD can program a second key. Like is mentioned you can program a third.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
Don, can it read IAT temps (I have an X308 SC) , oil and coolant temps and actually give a deg C (or deg F) reading?

I have a Snap-On Zeus and its an overpriced POS for a Jag, it gives me volt numbers!!

I also have the dealer SDD tool but wanted something more compact and portable.
somebody tested the IAT2 sensor and posted the graph the thing is a wild roller coaster ride.

WDS and all other factory tools only display voltage for PID123B. if you wanted to even a $5 ELM327 can display it