XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

retrofit VACM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default retrofit VACM?

Hi
Recently I want to add VACM on my XJ6 X350 but I can not find the connector in the trunk.
I already have SatNav, cd changer and bluetooth phone fitted. Just can not find out where is the connector for VACM I guess it should be next to the phone connector but nothing.
My X350 is 2005 XJ6 VING48477. Does my Jag pre-wired?
If it dosen't, is it possible to retrofit even I buy a connector from wrecker and taped on my harness?

Old 04-07-2019, 01:59 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

There are two types of connections to VACM: D2B(optical) and from the electrical harness. In my limited experience the electrical loom has the VACM connector, even if VACM is not fitted (same is true for Bluetooth/phone module). In my case because VACM was not originally installed the connector was taped tight to the loom. I had to identify it, and work it free. I installed VACM by connecting the electrical connector(s) to the module and then inserting/connecting VACM in the CORRECT SEQUENCE on the D2B circuit. You will want to be sure you have a VACM for your specific language (suffix on VACM pn) and I recommend you perform the voice recognition training procedure. The correct sequence for D2B modules is: Audio (master), amp, nav, ICE, VACM, phone, changer. If a particular module is absent it is either bypassed completely or may have a 'loop around' optical connector (in place of the module) to complete the circuit. You will want to understand the D2B circuit on your vehicle before deciding if all you need to do is remove a 'loop around' and connect the VACM, or if you need to splice in additional optical cable.

Take an advantage of the following resources available on this forum:

Technical Guide: pp 156, 162-164, 183
Electrical Guide: Fig's 16.3, 20.4
Sticky at the top of this forum: Smartphone Bluetooth connectivity
Search "D2B" on this forum

I have no experience adding a connector from a donor car but I anticipate the problem is knowing where to physically connect all the individual pins on the connector. The electrical diagram shows functionally what to connect, actually making the connection will be more challenging.

Let us know what you decide and how this progresses.

Best Regards, William

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-07-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Attached is a cleaned up, single page "Voice Commands" cheat sheet for the glove compartment, and a copy of "Training Commands" (You get the unit into "training mode", read off the requested command and accuracy is greatly improved - or so they claim, I remain skeptical, but its here if you want to try it.

By the way, there often is a loopback connector on a spare D2B connection, so before I broke into the loop, as I had done for the Bluetooth module Venelin Effromov was making for a few years (sorry if I mangled the spelling) I decided to just try it. Glad I did, because it just worked, and perfectly along with all other modules in the rear stack. I am attaching pics I rounded up. The connection (marked Rear ICE in my case) is about 1 foot in front of the stack, sitting in the plastic rail that all the trunk and rear module connections run, coming from the front of the car:

Where to look for spare D2B Connector

Label on connection

Also note that while many have quoted the need to install modules on the D2B in a certain order, and even publish that order in muliple places, a number of folks have found the order to be inconsequential, as I did. It made no difference where I put the VACM, or bluetooth module that replaced my CD Changer. It could be that certain components are sensitive to sequence and others aren't, or I just got lucky.

Sorry to hijack the thread on this nest part, but for anyone reading - I grabbed a VACM last year out of the UK, and almost everything works, I even get a lovely British accent on the voice. What DOESN'T work are any Navigation commands or any Touch Screen commands (to brighten/darken and such things) even though they are present in the interactive voice help menu. Would this be a function of the module version I got? Or perhaps the options fitted to the donor car? I have made many efforts to reset it, restart it, etc., but those 2 sections (I have a printed copy of the commands, sectioned out by area (climate, audio etc.) Here's the version I installed:

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Voice Commands List.docx (12.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: docx
Voice Training Commands.docx (14.1 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Blairware; 04-08-2019 at 12:05 PM.
wwr (04-11-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM
wwr

John;

Using Cambo's advice in the thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...number-186880/ I purchased an "AC" suffix version to install concurrently with a later model Bluetooth module ( I have an '04 XJR ). After the voice training session I an able to use all the features including Nav and display intensity (its a great feature).

Using the ICE connection should be fine as you do not seem to have ICE or phone looking at the photo of your stack (D2B circuit sequence)
Have you tried retraining the VACM again? As a last resort you could try swapping with a US English module. I purchased mine from e-Bay.

2R8F-14B292-AA, -AB, -AC, -AD = US English
2R8F-14B292-BA, -BB, -BC, -BD = British English
2R8F-14B292-HA, -HB, -HC = Australian English
2R8F-14B292-DA, -DB, -DC, -DD = German
Other languages have other suffixes, French = Fx, Spanish = Ex, etc...

Best Regards, William

Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Thanks wwr! I had the same list of version

I have retrained it, a number of times. I am glad yours is running the full gamut of features, and I think a US Model or at least an AC or AD Suffix Unit - I think the BC that I grabbed is more the issue than the British version, but these appear in spurts. While it's possibly some setting in SDD, I think a unit swap is the best bet. There's a bunch, then none for a while. I will keep my eye out. I don't use it a whole lot, but I love adding a previously unavailable feature so easily - I doubt the Reclining rear seat, DVD Player system (I saw what looked like a full setup, all wiring, headrest screens and DVD player for the stack. The price was fair, maybe $600, but the thought of installing it was. shall we say, a bit "off-putting?" Those Items, plus adaptive Cruise Control are the only Super V* items I lack, besides a SC engine of course. The enjoyment of rear seat passengers isn't that high on my priority list.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:58 PM
wwr

John;

I wonder if perhaps the VACM list of commands might be different for the British vs. US English systems. For example: to change the display intensity the commands for my "AC" system and US owners manual are "Display, Night Colors", or "Display, Day Colors." This may be total rubbish but I was trying to think of reasons you are having difficulty.

I'll check to see if my VACM has a real time 'Help' function or if it will list 'recognized commands.' If 'Yes,' it seems like you could use this see what commands your module should be responding to.

Best Regards, William

Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

The VACM module I installed is 2R8F 114B292-AD.

All commands work although not 100% first time. The voice command help function is useful in reminding me what the command is for any supported function.

wwr (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 02:55 PM
wwr

John Blair;

I looked up the list of recognized commands in my owner's manual and there is a 'designed in help function as John (jackra-1) mentions above.
Try the following commands: " Help" or "Voice Help".
I'm thinking this should give you a list all recognized commands.

As you have the British version I wonder if our American accent could be causing issues.

My AC version recognizes my command, the first time, roughly 95% of the time. When it fails recognize the command I make it a point to speak towards the mic, and with good volume, it always gets it on the next attempt.

Let us know what happens.

Best Regards, William

Old 04-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Just tried the day vs night display commands mentioned. Never new about them. Very useful as sometimes my display will revert to night colours during the day for some reason.

My main issue is not remembering commands that I do not use all the time and the fact the "system" requires fairly precise verbiage most of the time.

I use the CD changer voice commands all the time.

I went thru the "voice training" way back. It is a bit of a pain I remember.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If you got a voice module out of a donor car that did not have navigation, and put it in a car with navigation, then the navigation/screen related commands will be missing.

Likewise anything XJ specific will be missing from a module that came out of an X-Type.

You would need to reconfigure the car and voice module using IDS or SDD, to get everything working.

The voice module will have the VID block data from the donor car in it.

Deepstuff (03-19-2024)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Default That's it!

Originally Posted by Cambo
If you got a voice module out of a donor car that did not have navigation, and put it in a car with navigation, then the navigation/screen related commands will be missing.

Likewise anything XJ specific will be missing from a module that came out of an X-Type.

You would need to reconfigure the car and voice module using IDS or SDD, to get everything working.

The voice module will have the VID block data from the donor car in it.
Cambo, thanks. That appears to be precisely what the situation is. I can issue "Climate Help" and get a full readout of commands, same for Navigation help and the more generalized "help" but any and all Navigation or "Display" commands fall on deaf ears. It makes perfect sense that display commands fail as they pertain to navigation screens for the most part (Zoom, etc)

Would you think another module purchase or getting access to a working SDD setup (I don't have one) would be preferable?

Didn't somone create pre-built VM's with various versions of SDD installed on the VM all setup and working? Seems like a great idea. I also need a battery voltage maintainer before I start tinkering.

Also wondering, do you know if IDS or SDD is capable of locating a specific parking assist module? My bumper mounting bolts are really rusted, and I am hoping to pinpoint which sensor(s) are failing, since I have front/rear assist, and would prefer NOT removing both bumper covers on spec.

Thanks!