XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 MOT test - only ball joint boots !

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool X300 MOT test - only ball joint boots !

So, took my X300 Sovereign in for its MOT test today not really knowing what to expect. Real life has not allowed me the opportunity to give it the attention it deserves over the past year so I was worried as to what might be found. I replaced the rear tyres before going as they looked a little thin.

Only one thing ! The rubber boots over both lower front ball joints were split !
The joints are serviceable, but the boots need replacing on both sides and I'm told might as well do the whole ball joint as it is easier.

I would be doing it myself but I'm told I'd need a special type of spring compressor. It this so ? Does removing the ball joint release spring tension ? I would have expected that penetrating oil and a long strong socket wrench would have sufficed ?

If it needs the special spring compressor then I'll let the garage do it as what I save on the re-test fee will offset against labour charges I guess. I'm thinking a well equipped garage should take around an hour per side for this ?

If the job can be done safely with a special spring compressor - I just have a pair of ordinary 'external' ones - then can anyone tell me how, please ?

Of course I am absolutely delighted that a 17 year old car with 148,000 miles on the clock needs so little attention after a year of near neglect !
Good on you, Jaguar, for making cars which don't fall apart too readily !

Old 11-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

No need for a spring compressor of any sort! Will post a link when I'm not on my phone, but look back at my post history and you'll find the thread where I did mine...

The following users liked this post:
keplaa (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 03:59 PM
keplaa (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Ziggy
No need for a spring compressor of any sort! Will post a link when I'm not on my phone, but look back at my post history and you'll find the thread where I did mine...
Thanks for that, Ziggy.
I am little concerned. If I don't use a spring compressor then what is going to stop the spring pushing the lower wishbone down suddenly when the lower balljoint is released ?
Also, is it not possible o just remove and replace the lower balljoint ? It kinda looks to me like I'd eight ned to take off the disc, caliper and backplate to give myself access ?
Thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 AM

I'd have to have a look at a diagram (/ the car!), but IIRC the shock stops the lower wishbone from dropping and releasing the spring. (Again IIRC) you need to release the upper balljoint (or the upper wishbone) to allow the hub assembly to pivot out on the lower balljoint, in order to get to the lower balljoint bolt.

keplaa (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Put the the front of the car on stands, and use a trolley jack under the lower a-arm/spring pan/wishbone. The shock/dampers will keep it from flying apart.

Use the trolley jack under the spring pan to slowly lower it just enough to allow removal of the lower ball joint. Slip in the new new ball joint, then jack it back up into place.

keplaa (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Thumbs up

I'd have to have a look at a diagram (/ the car!), but IIRC the shock stops the lower wishbone from dropping and releasing the spring. (Again IIRC) you need to release the upper balljoint (or the upper wishbone) to allow the hub assembly to pivot out on the lower balljoint, in order to get to the lower balljoint bolt.
Originally Posted by mgb4tim
Put the the front of the car on stands, and use a trolley jack under the lower a-arm/spring pan/wishbone. The shock/dampers will keep it from flying apart.
Use the trolley jack under the spring pan to slowly lower it just enough to allow removal of the lower ball joint. Slip in the new new ball joint, then jack it back up into place.
Okay, thanks guys, I've got that. You both make it sound so easy.
I was concerned that I might not be able to release the lower balljoint securing nut without doing further dismantling and, of course, be able to get a balljoint separator tool in there. It looked to me when I glanced at it that there wouldn't be sufficient room to work but good to know it not so difficult.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 AM

I think you really will struggle to get on the lower balljoint nut without pivoting the hub axle out of the way (unless what Tim's saying will get round that - I can't picture it). To do that, you can either:
Remove the upper balljoint from the stub axle (i.e. separate the balljoint - risk of damaging another gaiter!)
Unbolt the upper balljoint from the upper wishbone (2x bolts that are easy to access but were seized solid on my car)
Unbolt the upper wishbone from the car (some people have reported seized fulcrum bolts, which sound like a bit of a 'mare)

I'd suggest that the easiest option would be to unbolt the upper balljoint from the upper wishbone, as long as the nuts come out ok. Easy enough to try anyway! How are your upper wishbone bushes looking??

Additional note - if the caliper, disc etc are still on the stub axle, don't just let it drop and wreck the brake hose - it's quite a heavy assembly.

keplaa (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Lightbulb

I think you really will struggle to get on the lower balljoint nut without pivoting the hub axle out of the way (unless what Tim's saying will get round that - I can't picture it). To do that, you can either:
Remove the upper balljoint from the stub axle (i.e. separate the balljoint - risk of damaging another gaiter!)
Unbolt the upper balljoint from the upper wishbone (2x bolts that are easy to access but were seized solid on my car)
Unbolt the upper wishbone from the car (some people have reported seized fulcrum bolts, which sound like a bit of a 'mare)

I'd suggest that the easiest option would be to unbolt the upper balljoint from the upper wishbone, as long as the nuts come out ok. Easy enough to try anyway! How are your upper wishbone bushes looking??

Additional note - if the caliper, disc etc are still on the stub axle, don't just let it drop and wreck the brake hose - it's quite a heavy assembly.
Yes, Ziggy, just from looking at it I thought I'd need to do something to give decent access. All of joints in steering and suspension are in fine condition, it is just the rubber boots on the lower ball joints which want replacing. I expect that the nuts holding both balljoints will be pretty well siezed into place and the fulcrum bolts would take some shifting too. Basically I'm just hoping to get the job done quickly and simply with the minimum of cost so the car passes its MOT test.
I was wondering if an alternative approach to dismantling several joints might be to dismantle the hub and get the brake disc, caliper and backplate out of the way so that I could access the lower balljoint nut, and then spplit the joint, by working through the steering knuckle ? Obviously the brake caliper would be tied-up out of the way during the process so I don't disturb the hydraulics. Would this approach work, do you think ?