XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Xjs rear shock absorbers & springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xjs rear shock absorbers & springs

Hi There,

I have a 1995 xjs celebration that is in need of a rear end rebuild, new diff, shocks & springs etc...

My question, I'd like to put some aftermarket shocks and springs on, something that makes the car a little more sporty.

Does anybody know of a good package, part numbers that fits on the rear beyond the standard? Maybe something akin to the DB7/ Bilenstein etc...

Many thanks

Old 03-05-2016, 05:21 PM

Sorry, the car is a 4.0.

Cheers

Old 03-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

My understanding is that Bilstein was the manufacturer of choice at Jag for their Sportspack optioned suspension, so I suggest you go that way.

I'd suggest changing all six at that point.

Other than adding a rear anti-roll bar and updated springs, there's not much else to do. Now to find those parts will be the trick. They're out there, but you'll have to do some hunting. The Bilsteins will be the easy part.

From what I've read, I'd pass on any poly bushes and stick with OEM rubber...except for the steering rack. Apparently that's the only place poly not only makes sense, but is preferred.

There are a ton of posts on this subject.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,919 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I fitted DB7 springs, V mounts and radius arm bushes to my XJR-s; definitely more sporty.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Be careful that mounting stiffer springs or an antiroll bar on the rear may produce some oversteering

Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 AM

Thank you for all the quick responses.

So my thoughts so far are to purchase the Bilstein B6 shocks with 4 i6 DB7 rear springs. Steve M, presumably I won't have problems with ride height with the DB7 springs?

With respect to the rear anti roll bar, my car doesn't have it fitted but are the mounting holes present on the irs? (I would check myself but unfortunately I'm having to store the car over 100 miles away at the moment).

Cheers

Old 03-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by CTRT
Thank you for all the quick responses.

So my thoughts so far are to purchase the Bilstein B6 shocks with 4 i6 DB7 rear springs. Steve M, presumably I won't have problems with ride height with the DB7 springs?

With respect to the rear anti roll bar, my car doesn't have it fitted but are the mounting holes present on the irs? (I would check myself but unfortunately I'm having to store the car over 100 miles away at the moment).

Cheers
The ARB suspension mountings are fixed on the radius arms, at most you would need arms with the fixings on, which they nearly all come with as standard. The body mountings are on the forward side of the slope of the bodywork into which the axle cage fits. You may or may not have the two sets of bolts on your body onto which the semi circular ARB brackets bolt.

However, with stiffer springs and shockers I doubt you will need the rear ARB. In my case, having had cars with and without the rear ARB, I found that without gave better rear handling, provided:
  • You have at least 0.5 degrees of negative camber on the rear wheels, and
  • The rear ride height is not too high - if it is the rear rolls about the axle roll centre instead of pushing through it. If handling is your real reason to do these changes, then adjustable ride height shockers will (in my experience) be a far better thing to put on the car than a rear ARB.
I would certainly do all the above things before fitting the ARB, which, if the ride height is too high in relation to the roll centre, will not do much to correct the problem.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 03-06-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

To illustrate Greg's indications, here is a pic of my rear set up, with Bilstein's and hole on top of the radius arm to fit the ARB (not mounted on mine).

Attached Thumbnails Xjs rear shock absorbers & springs-radius-arm.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

There are many different opinions and approaches. Here's mine....and I'm not sayin' anyone else's is wrong, mind you

My preference for a street driven car....including all my Jags over the years....is

- soft-ish springs/standard springs
- hi quality shocks
- rear anti-roll bar
- upgraded front anti-roll bar
- set caster to max 'positive' allowed in the specification
- 55 or 60 series tires on proper-width wheels
- on the Jags, poly rack bushings
- OEM grade rubber mounts/bushings/ball joints all in good shape

This basic formula has never failed to give me the improvement I've wanted. Staying with soft-ish springs is a useful/practical compromise for real-world roads, as is not going below 55-series tires.

If you do go with a rear anti-roll bar resist the temptation to get the biggst available. The XJS will want to get tail-happy if you do. Been there. Sudden over-steer; not at all pleasant in a 4000 pound car. The Jaguar rear bars, when fitted, were 13mm-14mm roughly. I wouldn't go much bigger, if any.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-07-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

CTRT,

I'd strongly recommend:

- Eibach springs (developed by Ray Ingham)
- Gaz adjustable platform height shocks

Then you'll have a sports springs + you can adjust the rebound feel as you like AND you can set the ride height as per original. It's a great combo.

Talk to Keith Parrington who distributes them. See here:

Jaguar Upgrades, Servicing - XjRestorations

Good luck

Paul

Old 03-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Ok thank you, lots of really interesting information here.

I am looking to really improve the handling of the car, but also not create a race car. The front end is already almost entirely polybushed. I think I will possibly go without a rear anti roll bar at least to start with as they are quite difficult source from what I can see.

I was also possibly thinking of the standard Boge Shock with the DB7 springs. Any thoughts on this setup? Presumably the DB7 Spring is a little shorter to correct for the ride height? That setup is quite cheap (£250) which is always the temptation.

Paul, I have emailed Keith for a quote as that seems like the most sensible, stress free, choice as long as the price is sensible (I need to purchase a diff too).

Thanks

Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I think I will possibly go without a rear anti roll bar at least to start with as they are quite difficult source from what I can see.

If you change your mind here's a source. I bought mine from this outfit; good service

Jaguar XJS Rear Anti Roll Bar 14mm | eBay

Cheers
DD

Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

I was also possibly thinking of the standard Boge Shock with the DB7 springs. Any thoughts on this setup? Presumably the DB7 Spring is a little shorter to correct for the ride height? That setup is quite cheap (£250) which is always the temptation.

The OEM Boge shocks are fantastic on a standard setup car to give the famous ride/flat cornering compromise the car is known for. On the harder springs and a more definite setup they will go home very quickly. PTJS is dead right about the Gaz adjustables. Gaz without the adjustable platforms are good, and you may be fine from the ride height angle with them (I have them on my car), but if you can run to it bearing in mind you want a more definite feel to your car, the adjustable platform shocks mean you can get the rear exactly as you want.
Greg

Old 03-14-2016, 05:06 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know, I ended up purchasing the Gaz shocks and Eibach springs from XJRestorations. Look fantastic. Now to drop the rear axle and fit them.

Many thanks

Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

You know you don't have to drop the rear axle or "cage" to fit/remove the shocks/springs.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member

CTRT,

As mentioned, fitting rear shocks and springs is easy, no need to drop axle at all. I assume Keith has assembled the springs and shocks together for you? If so, easy to now fit.

I set my shocks way too hard originally and the car bounced and skitted all the way home. I naively assumed that with 32 positions, no. 22 would be about right for firm handling. Wrong! Start with them on about 11 or 12 if you like the car to feel firm. And then adjust to suit. Even the racers don't go above about 16. Also spray the shocks once assembled with a light coating of thin clear wax or similar to avoid winter tarnish of the bright finish.

Good luck

Paul

Old 12-21-2019, 06:25 AM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/xj2312-...g-harness.html

You will have to check your vins, as i think this one is only for early HEs, pretty sure the seller has others.

Buyers outside UK pay 20% less than face value, no VAT, makes it look quite attractive

Old 12-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

anyoldiron,

I suspect you meant to post here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-159220/page3/

Cheers

Paul

Old 12-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

My experience with rear bars on different cars, including the xjs is that power on in a turn they help. If you are driving fast and braking hard in a turn , it happens..the rear of the xjs isn't happy the rear inner tire gets light on traction. I don't particularly like it in this instance but some do.