XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Introduction, and sunroof woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Introduction, and sunroof woes

Hello! Just joined here, and am looking to introduce myself and find some advice for my car.

I'm 20, and have owned my 1997 XJ6 3.2 sport manual for nearly a year. In that time I have fitted stainless steel exhaust, air filter and Andy's Mod (see how to improve fuel consumption and engine performance or some title like that), mods that I highly recommend.

I am looking to fix my sunroof: it tilts up but will not slide back. Any thoughts? Also, what is the best tool to take off the torx screws securing the sunroof to the mechanism? My allen keys are either too big or too small, usually by a frustratingly tiny amount.

Is it too big a task for a complete novice to DIY? This will be my first foray into DIY mechanicals and electrics, is it too hard?

Cheers in advance

Old 06-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

The "search" function is your friend, after searching for "sunroof" in the title, the following key threads were returned that may help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...orking-120322/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-close-10641/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-opening-462/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...unroof-115995/

And specifically this document may help: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...king-13-34.pdf

Regarding the torx screws, you need to buy some torx drivers/bits. You'll ruin your allen wrenches and/or strip out the socket in the fastener if you try to install/remove the torx with allens.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-30-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 AM

Thanks very much: doesn't quite answer my question, but extremely helpful never the less!

al_roethlisberger (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by YoungX300
Thanks very much: doesn't quite answer my question, but extremely helpful never the less!

Not to be smug, but IMHO my post just about exactly answers your questions

...but you need to likely give us a little more to go on.

The threads listed above address several of the sunroof mechanism problems & troubleshooting, and was meant as an example that a little more searching will likely yield the answer you are seeking.

Some other "sunroof" threads that are chock full of info about how/why the sunroof jams, etc:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-close-10641/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-opening-462/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...repair-101074/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...trouble-88575/

I'm not trying to be difficult, but instead I am suggesting that there is a lot of information already here and while folks are happy to help, they don't have the time to repeat all the research and posting that has already been done on a subject as common as "sunroof issues". Last count we had 51 threads with "sunroof" in the title

What I'd suggest is searching for "sunroof", read all the threads, and if none of them address your specific problem, call out exactly what you are experiencing that is different and what your observations/theories may be.

That information will help us narrow down your problem and provide a helpful solution. Generic questions about the sunroof not opening properly with no context of what has already been checked will make it a lot harder for anyone to assist remotely as the problem could be myriad.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread here that addresses your tilt but not opening issue. If not, my apologies, but have you checked?

Again, please don't take my response as discouraging the asking of the question. Someone here may have had the exact same issue and offer advice or direct you to the relevant thread. But if not, it may be here waiting to be discovered

Good luck! I still have to fix my "auto close" sunroof issues too, but have it on my "not urgent" list as I personally dislike sunroofs, so just don't open it

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 06-24-2015 at 06:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
Don B (06-30-2015), juha_teuvonnen (06-02-2016)
Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Ah no, you answered that perfectly, no criticism!

Just to check whether its too big of a job for a novice: I read lots of things about how fragile the mechanism, and I am reluctant to leave a gaping great hole in the roof if I get it wrong and mess it up!

Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

The sunroof plastic mechanism is extremely fragile. I've broken both sliding brackets in my XJ6 and XJR but one is more broken than the other.
The sunroof in my XJ6 tilts up and slides open and close fully with not really any issues other than sometimes the motor can't close the sunroof all the way automatically, I have to hold the switch down.
As for the XJR it only tilts up but gets jammed when trying to fully open it. I broke the plastic tab that guides the whole panel down into the roof.

As for your issue of not opening, try checking the SRCM and make sure it's aligned correctly in conjunction to the sunroof panel position or check to see if the panel opens manually by using a big flathead screwdriver

Al posted a link to the pdf document that shows exactly how to adjust the SRCM and also how to manually open and close the panel

I'm thinking the SRCM is already thinking that the sunroof is fully open already when in reality it's not but if not then it would probably be something mechanically wrong with the sunroof tracks

Don B (06-30-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, you do have to be careful.... or so I've read. I was just reading the TSB above in preparation for cleaning, lubricating and "aligning" the SCRM, and the first two steps have me scratching my head if they are necessary and what part they are actually referring to.

1. Remove the sliding roof trim panel assembly.

So for #1, I assume the mean the inner fabric cover. Do they mean the whole thing, or just the front or rear half? Also, I'm not clear how you really get either one out with the headliner in place.

2. Remove the sliding roof flange finisher.

For #2, this must be the interior fabric covered band around the perimeter of the sunroof opening that holds the headliner in place, true? I assume that just "zips" off like the finishers around the door openings.

And then finally, the TSB talks about the following, but the illustration and TSB doesn't really do a good job if indicating where this "driven lever" is and where to find it:

'Use a screwdriver or drive key to manually position the sliding roof panel
(Illustration 2) so that a gap of 8 mm is obtained at point A, Illustration 3. The
gap can be measured using the shank of an 8 mm drill inserted between the
driven lever and the step in the guide rail."

Don B (06-30-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I remember when I first looked at that pdf, those steps confused me also.
I stared at it for about 30 minutes trying to figure out which parts were being talked about but then it hit me...
All I had to do was position the sunroof exactly where I wanted it (in the closed position) then line up the calibration marks on the SRCM and they'll both be synced. I don't think I even bothered trying to get that 8mm gap that's talked about.
I figured out the only way to see the gap was to take out the headliner part of the sunroof (Not exactly sure what it's called) Could be what they're referring to in step 1 which is the trim panel assembly. The way I removed that was by tilting the sunroof up and pulling the "trim panel assembly" outwards from outside of the car. I'm not sure if that's how it's officially done since I'm sure my sunroof is broken more than a few ways but still opens and closes as it should in my XJ6. After the "trim panel" was out of the way I could then see the "little hook thing" that needs to be gapped to 8mm.

The following 2 users liked this post by AlbBolivar:
al_roethlisberger (06-29-2015), Don B (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

That's generally what I was thinking... does the interior panel (front larger piece) just slide out when pulled from the outside when the rear of the sunroof is lifted up? Or is it normally held in place with clips or some other fastener that needs to unclip, etc? I'd hate to break it by yanking on it, but it would be nice to pull it out and reglue it to the panel since the fabric is loose on mine.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

YoungX300,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

As you've discovered, we're a friendly and helpful group, so please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers!

Don

Old 07-07-2015, 01:47 AM

I can confirm that the fabric piece does just slide out of the roof when tilted open: otherwise, I've been on holiday and have done nothing more...

First step for me will be trying to open the roof with a screwdriver using the screw under the sunglasses holder. After that, I will remove the metal part of the sunroof and check the mechanism, then pop my finding on here for some help from alb & al (my thanks to you both)

al_roethlisberger (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM

Video of the sunroof mechanism working (if its not helpful, just tell me what will be!)

Manually operating the motor will only go so far before it stops (at the same point as doing it with the switch). I wanted to try and replace the control module, but I don't know how to get the headlining off, and feel like I might break something if I tried!
Literally any pointers gratefully recieved, I'm a bit stumped

P.S. Nothing clearly obstructing the tracks/runners

Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Another question, is the fabric on the sunroof inside liner usually completely attached(glued) to the board or does it hang a little loose and is only held on by being stretched over the board?

Mine isn't sagging, but it clearly is no longer(if ever) glued to the liner board anymore. I'm just trying to determine if I should try to reglue the fabric or if it was always just stretched across the board with no glue.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Another question, is the fabric on the sunroof inside liner usually completely attached(glued) to the board or does it hang a little loose and is only held on by being stretched over the board?

Al,

I don't know the answer to your question on the X300, but on the very similar XJ40 the interior fabric on the sliding sunroof panel is not glued to the interior surface of the sliding panel. The panel is made of sheetmetal with a slightly raised lip around its perimeter. The fabric is slightly stretched over the panel, then glued only on the opposite side of the panel (the side that faces up and is concealed by the body-color exterior panel). The result is that the interior fabric is stretched slightly and rests about 1/8 inch from the surface of the metal panel because it is stretched over the lip around the edges. I could kick myself for not taking photos of this part of the process but I was in a hurry to get it all done in one day.

You can probably tell if your sliding panel is of a similar design by tapping it to see if it's metal, and feeling around its edges for the raised lip.

When I did the headliner in our '93, I had read a lot of reports from owners who had used the same foam-backed fabric on the sliding panel that they used on the rest of the headliner, then had problems with the sliding panel binding. I found a nice knit fabric without the foam backing that matched the foam-backed headliner fabric, and I used the knit on the sliding panel. I purchased both fabrics at the local JoAnn Fabric store, and as far as I know they still carry foam-backed headliner fabric. Watch for their "2 for 1" and heavy discount promotions (40-50% off).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-11-2015 at 03:57 PM.
al_roethlisberger (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, I suspect its bound to be the same design as the XJ40. For a change maybe we've found something that DOESN'T need to be added to the to-do list!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Al,

I have a 96 and a 97 VDP and the headliner does appear to be glued to the cross support beams of the sunroof unit of both. (When I removed the headliners from both, there was a foam residue left behind.)

I removed my headliner from my 96 and had it professionally re-done. Upon re-installing it in my 97, I found I had cut the excess fabric around the "sunroof hole" too short and now I will need to have the pro fix up my error. Live and learn.

My 97 headliner (to go back into the 96) remains unrepaired, as I am planning on selling it and I am not sure I want to throw away more money on it at this point. I have the fabric and will probably just pass it along to the new owner.

Andrew

al_roethlisberger (07-16-2015)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

YoungX300,
Be careful...be VERY careful.
I asked for help with my sunroof on this forum and ended up with a fully non-functional sunroof.
Take your kitty to a professional for sunroof issues.
Once one of those parts are broken, it's forever.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I hope this is not to late , I replaced my headlining a while back including the sunroof , in order to remove the rear internal panel , from a closed position push he control button to take the SR FORWARD this will tilt the SR at the rear ,from memory there is a small retaining clip on the rear corners , once released the panel will slide out , again from memory the front internal panel slides forward to release it .No brute force is needed when working on a Jag , if you are huffing and puffing you are doing something wrong. Once these panels are off you will see the operating parts . Sorry that this next bit is vague but I can recall having to put my hand in between the headlining and roof , from inside and grabbing a sliding component that had apparently become un clipped as I was working on the car . I might add that the headling materiel was glued to the panels . Young X300 you have good taste .

Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Young. For pointers on headliner removal, repeat your search activities with keyword "Headliner" vice sunroof, it's here somewhere, complete with pictures. IIRC, you do need to drop it down for complete access to all of the sunroof gubbings. As regards both items, don't neglect to search the X308 forum as well. They are identical as to sunroof and headliner.

Oops, just noticed this thread started a year ago, a little late for welcoming you....

Last edited by aholbro1; 05-30-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Woops , I did not notice the date either although I thought the thread came from the first page , Oh well , I did say "I hope this is not to late".